Ego Snow Blower Canada?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Does anyone know when the Ego snow blower will be available in Canada?  Home Depot has a sign showing it but no one at the store knows anything about them.  Also on the Home Depot Canada website no one knows anything about them either.....
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Arshad Chawdhry

Arshad Chawdhry

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm in the same boat. I saw the snow blower on the HD website (Canada) and it looks like it was taken off. Went to the store....sign is there in 2 stores, no stock and Associates know nothing about them. They told me it was a one time buy and they aren't getting anymore....good thing I don't believe them! Dying to get this!!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,360 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
As far as I know, Ego's plan is to have them available in October in Canada.

In the US only select stores will carry them, so most people will have to order online for home delivery or in store pick up. I would imagine Canadian stores will be the same.
Photo of Arshad Chawdhry

Arshad Chawdhry

No further commentary on this?? I see it on the Canadian website now! Still no inventory though
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

Which Canadian website are you referring to?  I just went to Homedepot.ca and it is not listed.
Photo of Arshad Chawdhry

Arshad Chawdhry

Type in SNT2102 in the search and it'll come up. There is also a SKU # associated with it. It shows up on the mobile site....on a computer you have to search the product for some reason
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

Excellent!  Should be coming in October like Ken said.
Photo of chris muller

chris muller

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer... you said back in October that the ego "bare" tool snowblower would be available "later this month" it is now December 26th 2016 and I NEEDED to purchase a snowblower weeks ago. I don't know how many more times I can shovel my driveway by hand while still waiting for this thing (I now have enough HD gift cards to buy the snowblower but may be forced to purchase a competitors due to unavailability of your unit) WHEN WILL THE BARE TOOL BE AVAILABLE IN CANADA???
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,088 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris, we saw your post on the EGO Facebook page too. The bare tool should be available on homedepot.ca in the next 7-10 business days. We know you've been waiting a long time. We're so sorry for the delay. There were some setup issues on Home Depot's side that caused a delay.
Photo of chris muller

chris muller

Thanks Jennifer.... can you confirm what the Canadian price will be for the bare tool?

I don't have the pricing for the bare tool at this time Chris. Sorry. :(
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,680 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think "in October" is all anyone knows at this point.

Official Response
Hi all, this snow blower will be officially in stock and available in October.  Specific dates are still TBD.  Thanks for your patience.  We hope you don't have snow yet that you need to deal with. :)
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

October 16th and nothing available in Edmonton.  Had a big snowfall that I had to shovel already.  I gave up waiting.....

Went and bought a Honda HS720CS.  Yeah it burns gas but it's a power house and the quality / craftsmanship is superior to the Ego one.  The Ego will never do what this one can!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Seems like an oversight on Ego's part to release the snow blower in Southern Ontario before Alberta/BC. We're not expecting any significant snow for at least another month or so, even here in Ottawa.

That Honda is a nice looking machine, but it costs more than the Ego and is still a single stage blower. It also weighs a lot more.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/snowbl...

If you need to clear a large driveway that exceeds what the Ego could do on one round of batteries it would make sense. But for average size driveways the Ego should be fantastic; it equaled or outperformed a single stage Toro in early testing.
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

It may be an oversight on Ego's part but it seems that eastern Canada is always favored, or comes first, over western Canada.  More population at that end....

Photo of Clint Angus

Clint Angus

• 328 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, can we pre-order this in Canada? Will it have free home delivery like in the United States? Will it be available with both 5 amps and 7.5 amps batteries and what will be the Canadian Dollar price for each option. Home Depot staff here have absolutely no information on your snow blower. 

No pre-order is available at this time.  Sorry for the inconvenience, Clint.
Photo of Clint Angus

Clint Angus

Thanks for this info Jennifer. Will it have free home delivery like in the United States? Will it be available with both 5 amps and 7.5 amps batteries and what will be the Canadian Dollar price for each option.

Currently the US only has a 5.0Ah battery option. We haven't confirmed a 7.5Ah battery kit option yet.  Pricing is still TBA officially. I can't comment on the shipping via Home Depot Canada. I would check with your store for that information.
Photo of Clint Angus

Clint Angus

Thank you for this info Jennifer. I would be grateful for a heads up from you on this community page, when your snow blowers have been shipped to Canada so that I can get one ASAP.
Photo of Arshad Chawdhry

Arshad Chawdhry

I saw pricing to be $797. Can't remember the battery though
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That was the 10Ah kit (2x 5Ah).
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

Any news on the snow blowers yet?  We are well into October and we have snow in Edmonton!
Photo of Arshad Chawdhry

Arshad Chawdhry

I bought mine yesterday here in Burlington Ontario. They are beginning to be available. You'd have to check the store inventory. I'd suggest going to a store and getting them to scan the snowblower to see if they have any inventory, or if a local store has inventory.
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

Here is Edmonton nothing in the store except a sign with ego products on it that includes a snow blower.  Not listed on homedpot.ca either.
Photo of paul mascarenhas

paul mascarenhas

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will the snow blower be available in Canada?.

Official Response
The kit with two 5.0Ah batteries is now available here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.21... The bare tool should be available this month. Any other options have not yet been confirmed.
Photo of Loren Yankowsky

Loren Yankowsky

It may be listed on the web page but there still is no stock at any store in Edmonton....

Be patient with us Loren. The stock is still coming into the warehouses so it's going to be in stock very soon. As people are ordering, we're working hard to get them into stores as well.
Photo of Nelson

Nelson

• 734 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
FYI, I purchased a 16" chainsaw with 5.0 Ah battery kit and a 530CFM blower kit w/ 2.5 Ah kit, from a place in Edmonton called Union Wheel and Motorsports. I paid $428 for the chain saw kit and $270 for the Blower kit.

I asked them if they could get the snow blower and they said they can get the 5.0Ah kit and the 7.5Ah kit. They sell the 5.0Ah kit for $799 and the 7.5Ah for $1072. This was a week ago Nov. 29.

Hope this helps.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nice! If they would ship it for less than $150 it would be better to buy through them than Home Depot Canada!!!

They offer the 7.5Ah kit as well, bonus! AND it's only $122 more than HD is selling the 5Ah kit for!
The EGO Snow blower bare tool is still not available in Canada.

Is it ever coming?

Unfortunately, Home Depot Canada has decided not to carry the EGO Power+ Snow Blower bare tool. :(
Photo of chris muller

chris muller

What??? That's insane! WE LIVE IN CANADA! I have been shovelling my driveway by hand since November waiting for this snowblower to become available. That is a very dumb decision by homedepot Canada.
I guess I understand they can do what they want with their shelf space but I don't understand why EGO doesn't\can't at least insist that Home Depot makes it available online (along with the x2 7.5 ah kit, for that matter).

I presume Home Depot has an exclusivity contract with Home Depot, as otherwise your products would be available at least at Amazon.ca too (as Greenworks does online at Amazon, outside their Canadian Tire in-store exclusivity).

I have to wonder if you guys haven't gotten a bum deal, as what is the point of giving someone an exclusivity contract for your products if they refuse to sell all of them?

In store (shelf space) is one thing but it makes no sense (for anyone) for all the product packages not to be available at least online, and especially for bare tool options.

I really hope EGO would pressure Home Depot Canada into making all the options (including 7.5 Ah kits) available at least online, if not doing so already.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Again and again, Home Depot continues to show why they should NOT represent your product here in Canada. They are doing a horrible job of marketing and sales for your products.
Jennifer, please please review your options and make sure your Management Team knows this issues that you are dealing with on the front lines of Support.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

CM and ESO, my thoughts exactly!

It makes no sense for Ego to have an exclusive retail partner who refuses to sell all the kit options for THE ONE TOOL IN THEIR LINEUP that makes the most sense to sell in the North... the snowblower.

Every other tool in Ego's product line is needed all over North America, and Canada being only about 10% of the US market I can see some restrictions, but the snowblower? Come on... 100% of Canadian homes with a driveway could use a snowblower, so surely we're a MUCH bigger chunk of the snowblower market than 10%.

I can see this being related to their INSANE pricing structure... HD Canada is blatantly ripping off Ego customers. If you look at the price of other battery powered tool lines like Milwaukee the prices are actually BETTER in Canada if you take the exchange rate into consideration, and that goes for gas powered snowblowers as well.

Ego is one brand that HD Canada continues to over price in a BIG way, and at the end of the day that just hurts Ego and its potential customers. It's very frustrating! If their pricing was more reasonable I can't see why a proportional increase in sales volume wouldn't be expected.

Everything about how HD Canada handles Ego's products is dead wrong.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

DavidH, absolutely!!!!
Photo of chris muller

chris muller

I have the $$$ you have the product....but there's this other guy over there (HD Canada) that won't let us complete our exchange.... EXTREMELY FUSTRATED CUSTOMER!
Photo of Nelson

Nelson

The place I go to in Edmonton might have it, it isn't Home Depot. Their number is 780 457 2436. I have bought three items from them.

My friend bought the 21" lawnmower, the friend needed only the mower and not the battery and charger. They could only get the kit so they unbundled it and sold the lawn mower as if it was the bare tool. They might do the same with the snow blower.
My friend was in Northern Alberta and they shipped to him. Hope this helps.
Yes thx, I've heard of them on here, "Union Wheel". I'll likely end up going with them. Though the tools and battery will *probably* be reliable, I'm hesitant to spend so much money without getting the 5 year warranty or indeed any warranty at all (it seems would be the case?).

+ If possible I was hoping to find a similar importer closer to me in Ontario but am not aware of any.

I actually wanted and would be getting the 7.5 Ah bundle kit from them but as I say I am concerned about the warranty so I was trying to look for any reason to still stick with Home Depot but they refuse to give me any..

Does anyone know:

- of a similar importer on the East coast/in Ontario?
- what warranty Union Wheel offers, if any?
- if EGO will repair "out of warranty/no receipt" products & at what cost?
(I know they will not warranty purchases outside of HDC but will they at least work on your product if you ship it to them and pay for the repair?)

Given how far Edmonton is from me, it makes more sense to drive an hour to Michigan and buy it there so I'll at least still have some prospect of utilizing the warranty if needed, but of course I can't do that because they don't offer the 7.5 Ah bundle in-store..

It's crazy to me the hoops and drawbacks EGO/Home Depot force you to jump through/accept just to order something that is simple, pleasent & reasonably priced an hour away in the U.S.

I need the longer run times of the 7.5 Ah batteries.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Order the 7.5 online and have it shipped to the MI store that does not stock it.
I wasn't aware you could do that. Thx I may do that.
Photo of Nelson

Nelson

Union Wheel is an authorized dealer, so you would have EGO warranty. They don't have any extra 90 day try out period that home depot has. On the bottom of this page click on  "warranty policy" click "EGO Authorized retailers". They show up on there.
You know I think I'd thought of that before but it was out of stock online and I forgot about that option. Seems to be in stock now. Thx I may do that.
Just saw your comment after Nelson, thank you! That is great to hear. I also see a closer dealer is A1 Small Engine in Toronto so perhaps that could save me the hefty shipping fee from Edmonton or the probable hefty import duty from Michigan.

They only seem to sell the 5 Ah model though so I have e-mailed them asking if they can order in the 7.5 Ah bundle similar to Union Wheel so we shall see what they say.

In any case since Union Wheel is authorized, I see EGO says they will provide a service centre to get work done at so hopefully I could drive/ship it to somewhere here in Ontario and avoid hefty costs shipping it back to Edmonton no?

I will have to call EGO and see where that is, surprised it's not listed.
(Edited)
Ok!

Done my research and about ready to get a 7.5 Ah x2 Snow Blower kit (though winter seems to be over pretty much unfortunately, we'll see), just wanted to verify some things.

- In an earlier post, I mentioned a closer EGO authorized seller to me than UnionWheel in Alberta (I'm in Ontario) was A1 Small Engine Repair in Toronto. I e-mailed them about importing the 7.5 Ah Snow Blower bundle as mentioned but they never got back to me. Haven't called them but I've also read bad things online, so don't think I'll bother with them, + they're further from me than Michigan.

So my options are from UnionWheel (with warranty) in Alberta, shipped to Ontario (about $150, was mentioned elsewhere as their shipping cost to Quebec), or just go pick it up at Home Depot (after first ordering it to there online, a somewhat tricky/not straight-forward process) in Michigan (still with warranty, supposedly), about an hour away, which will save me the shipping cost but possibly incur duty charges.

After some research, I'm intending to go with the Michigan option (as supposedly I won't need to pay duty) but wanted to verify some things first.

(For just this 1st post, and these 1st 3 questions, I was hoping I could get official comment from EGO on here in writing for each, just in case the phone reps I talked to were mistaken. Though, other comments are welcome too.)

1. Does an EGO product bought in the U.S. still qualify for warranty coverage here in Canada?
(& for local repairs here in Canada?)

(Because if not, shipping from the UnionWheel shop in Alberta would then be the better option.)

I'm just over an hour from Michigan, and I was worried I'd have to take it back to Home Depot there for warranty/service, but when I called EGO (a few times, about different things, but I always asked this question), they all said the warranty would -still- be valid here in Canada, and I could get local service work done on it here (I have 2 EGO service centres in my city), without having to take it back to the States.

2. If the product is still under warranty (& that's valid here), does EGO cover any associated costs of legitimate repairs done at local repair shops? I've seen different things online about "inspection fees" being charged (like for a Greenworks product at A1 Small Engine Repair in Toronto, under warranty) and even called my local in-town EGO authorized repair centre, and they didn't really give a straight answer, quoted a similar fee to the A1 one above and said it depended on the repair (if it was your fault the machine broke or not, like you "hit it with a hammer"... they said).

I called EGO about this and they said there shouldn't be any fee, but if there was I could call them and they'd "take care of it" (if it was a legitimate warranty fix/not abuse). EGO also mentioned there could be a $20 to $30 deposit at some places, you put down while they hold your machine so they're not stuck holding it for you, or something, and you get the money back in full when you pick it up (I have no issues there).

So I just wanted to verify, if there is any bill from a local authorized service centre, for a legitimate in-warranty repair, will EGO cover that 100%? How does that work, can you set it up so they bill EGO directly?

I'd rather not have to pay the centre, and then show the receipt to EGO to try and get my money back, waiting for a cheque in the mail or something I assume.

3. If the snow blower totally breaks (legitimately, under warranty), and the local authorized service centre can't fix it, EGO will ship a replacement product to my house free of charge?

And EGO will either not want me to ship the old one back to them, or pre-pay for me to ship it back to EGO, completely at their expense?

(On the phone said, if the local repair shop couldn't fix it, they'd just ship a new one to my door. 1 EGO phone rep told me they'd give me a prepaid shipping account # to send it back to EGO, at no charge. Another rep told me they don't usually ask for products to be sent back from customers in Canada, even the whole snow blower.. [I asked], and they just ship out a new one and leave us to "dispose" of the old one. Wow, that would be awesome, spare parts.)
This next post probably doesn't concern EGO, just wondering if anyone in the community had answers/feedback about the following (just 2 questions this time).

1. Import Duty charges

(I will be driving my snow blower across the border in my car myself, not having it shipped over.)

I knew there'd be the HST tax on top of it (13%), and that's ok, it would still be a lot less than going with the option for shipping it to me from Alberta (about $150 CDN).

But I wasn't sure about how much duty there would be, since it's not made in a NAFTA country (China), or how much that might be (I believe it can be up to 35%).

Their website had an estimator tool (I don't have it handy at the moment), that didn't exactly have the right category.. so I listed it under a "outdoor garden power tool" @ $846.95 USD ($799 USD + 6% Michigan sales tax), and it came back with a duty of about $100.

So I called Canada Border Services and told them I wanted to bring back a battery powered snow blower from Michigan, that was made in China, and it was a walk behind kind that was for personal use (they asked). After checking for awhile (a minute or 2), he told me there wouldn't be -any- duty on it. I found this hard to believe (I still do), I reiterated that it was made in China, not a NAFTA country, and asked if he could
check it again. He said he was definite, no duty, just the 13% HST tax. I asked if different border agents might come to different conclusions, he said no, they would all be looking up the duty rate under the same system so it wouldn't be any different with a different agent.

This can't be right right? I mean, it's definitely not made in a NAFTA country. I haven't brought anything like this before cross border, but I find it hard to believe there'd be no duty for a non-NAFTA product (+ the online check, as I mentioned, though that wasn't the exact right category).

I've had to pay duty/fees on other things I've imported from Amazon like even snow shovels (though, that was shipped over, so maybe it was inspection
fees).

Though, UnionWheels selling price ($1072 CDN) implies that it doesn't have duty, because if they were being hit with duty they would likely be selling it for much more, as the exchange rate puts the USD price about there. (Though maybe they have a special deal where EGO imports it into Canada with their other stuff for them, I don't know.)

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? I think I'll call them again and try to get a different agent and have him double check too.

2. Shopping on HomeDepot.com as an international customer

So since the 7.5 Ah x2 snow blower bundle is online only in the U.S. (unavailable in Canada), I'd have to order it online in the U.S. and ship it to my local Michigan Home Depot. I called them up asking about pick up, and they immediately told me I wouldn't be able to enter my postal code and mentioned having to use gift cards, I was a bit flabbergasted (I order at Amazon.com/other U.S. sites just fine) and said I'd check it out & call back.

Indeed, Home Depot.com doesn't allow Canadian/foreign buyers to purchase stuff online (though you can use your Canadian credit card in store..), I guess to make sure Home Depot Canada doesn't lose business? (Then stock the same products as they have in the U.S.! /end mini-rant)

You have to enter a valid zip code in a box for the rest of the address line to appear, no zip code, no order.

Ok, so after doing some reading on RedFlagDeals.com, apparently the solution is indeed to make the purchase online with a gift card. HomeDepot.com sells 2 gift cards, physical ones (like you buy in store) you get mailed to you (still can't buy) and e-gift cards, handled by a third party, "CashStar".

The e-Gift Cards go on your Home Depot account, and since you're paying CashStar, not HomeDepot, you can apparently do this with, if not a Canadian credit card then a Canadian PayPal address (funded by your Canadian credit card, or whatever). Most people said this work, a couple said this failed and it was cancelled
or refunded.

That's good news, but the rub here is you can't return gift cards apparently, so I wouldn't want to be stuck with that.

If you get the e-Gift card purchased, you'd think it'd be smooth sailing. Apparently within a day or so it will be processed, then you can use it for what you want on HomeDepot.com (you can get the exact amount of your order), and, even shipping it to a store of your choice, the require some address info. apparently.

So, most people entered their real address (street), false zip code/same one as store picking up at, etc. for state (or one person his parents house in Florida) and then they need your number. You could also make one up, but that seems to be the one you wouldn't want to, in case they need to contact you. Most people said they put their real Canadian phone number (no one was contacted), and everyone who mentioned doing it didn't have a problem, so that's my plan.

Anyway, most people who did this said they were able to complete the order without issue (this is a couple years old thread), though a couple people said they were prevented from being able to make their order still. Maybe a 2 (unsuccessful) to 5 or 6 ratio.

This has me concerned, if the gift card is not refundable.. I'd be out a grand. I'm pretty confident it will work (I think worst case, I would have to make 2 trips, show them the e-gift card balance in Michigan and order it to the store from there, then come back another time to pick it up no?).

Still, I'd rather not have that hassle/worry, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with this and if so how did that go?
Oh yeah, also, 1 more question for EGO:

What's the deal with shipping/packing on the 7.5 Ah battery bundle tools?

Are they (the 2 7.5 Ah batteries) being included in the same box as your tool now or is that still coming in separate boxes?

If so, are they arriving at the same time or... how long after? If not, I'd rather just wait longer for it all to come at once, if that's an option (I suppose I'd need to contact HD about that).

I believe Home Depot.com's site says if you order something to a store they'll hold it for about 5 days for you (perhaps they'd make an exception for me and hold it longer until the batteries arrived? If they didn't already). My closest Home Depot store in Michigan is a bit over an hour away, so I'd rather not have to make a 2nd trip there to pick up the batteries (+ go through customs/duty hassle again).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My take...

1. Buying from HD USA will be:
US$799 x 1.07 (MI State Sales Tax) = US$846.94
US$846.94 / 0.7649 (current exchange rate) = $1107.26
$1107.26 x 1.13 (CAN Sales Tax) = $1251.20
$1251 + Gas + Your Time = Total Cost

2. Buying from Union Wheel will be:
$1072.00 + $150 shipping = $1222.00 + Tax = $1380.00
Delivered to your doorstep from a Canadian company.

3. The difference is $129.00, out of which your gas and time need to be subtracted.  Don't forget to add all the hoops you will apparently jump through to get to the point where you can actually order it from HD and any potential risks involved (as you pointed out).

In my opinion the choice is clear... I would avoid giving my money to the Big Orange Box that goes out of their way to make your life difficult.  :-)

As for the warranty in Canada on Ego goods purchased in the US, I've seen Jennifer comment that their warranty is good cross-border.  In the event of an issue you'd contact their CS department and they would put you in touch with your nearest Ego Canada service center.

To further my "Canadian Company" comment, I have absolutely no loyalty to the Canadian retail market.  They (the big retailers) have proven time and time again not to give a darn about being competitive with the US, choosing instead to lobby our Government into keeping artificially low limits on what we're allowed to import tax-free.

Having said that, I will ABSOLUTELY support the Canadian retailer who makes a reasonable effort to earn my business through reasonable pricing.  Whether it's HD Canada screwing us or HD USA, it's still Home Depot no matter how you slice it. ;-)

Couple answers for you here:

Does an EGO product bought in the U.S. still qualify for warranty coverage here in Canada?
(& for local repairs here in Canada?)

Yes.

So I just wanted to verify, if there is any bill from a local authorized service centre, for a legitimate in-warranty repair, will EGO cover that 100%? How does that work, can you set it up so they bill EGO directly?

It's best to talk to our customer service team IN ADVANCE of taking your tool in for repair to make sure everything will be taken care of by us. Don't drop your tool off and just expect everything to go perfectly. It's best to speak to us and make sure we know you are sending it along for repair. It'll help us track the costs, etc.

Are they (the 2 7.5 Ah batteries) being included in the same box as your tool now or is that still coming in separate boxes?

The batteries are still shipped separately due to weight limits imposed by UPS and FedEx. They should arrive within 1-2 business days of your tool but we try really hard to get them to arrive on the same day as the tool.
Photo of Bobryche

Bobryche

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When I ordered my Ego Snow blower from Union wheel I received it by Fed Ex, it came in a brown box and both 7.5ah batteries were inside.
It's best to talk to our customer service team IN ADVANCE of taking your tool in for repair to make sure everything will be taken care of by us. Don't drop your tool off and just expect everything to go perfectly. It's best to speak to us and make sure we know you are sending it along for repair. It'll help us track the costs, etc.
Yes, gotcha, I would've done that anyway as I figured EGO would want to try a phone diagnosis first.

Thx for the answers. I just ordered the x2 7.5 Ah Snow Blower bundle from Union Wheel in Edmonton.

Blue:

$1251 + Gas + Your Time = Total Cost
You assume I'm not driving an electric car! I'm not :(

Actually, a relative was headed that way soon anyway so that was to be part of my savings, no fuel cost (I hoped).

Anyway, aside from what you were saying, about all the hassles/lack of guarantee (HD.com ability to purchase, no border duty?), there was also the 2.5% credit card conversion fee to add to the Michigan purchase cost + I was hoping being closer than Quebec my shipping would be a bit less, so those 2 things would kinda close the gap a bit, along with the uncertainty factor.

Well, it turns out it was still $150 to ship it here.. but, I was only charged GST (no PST/HST in Alberta) and not HST (it was my understanding I'd be paying HST as an Ontarian, but I certainly was not going to complain about that).

Came out to.. I actually forget doh..  I'll have to check my statement online, but I remember it was under $1300 CDN. I know it was $1072 (CDN) + $150 (shipping) = $1222, so, that * 1.05 (GST) logically it should've been $1283.10 CDN. So cheaper than it would've been had I even gone to the states. I lucked out!

(Well.. not as much as if I could just buy it from Home Depot Canada.. but at least I was able to get the bundle.)

FYI when I asked them they said the 2 7.5 Ah batteries would be included in the main product box (so perhaps they just opened it and stuffed them in there, which is fine with me).

FedEx ground (cheapest shipping option, I checked), 3 to 4 days, being shipped out tonight, should be here by Friday (not bad), getting FedEx e-mail tracking updates all along the way.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good stuff!

Actually, if HD Canada DID offer the 15Ah kit for sale it would likely be $1250-1300 + tax, based on the $950 ripoff price they charge for the 10Ah kit!!! Pretty sad.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh, and I forgot about the 2.5% privilege you pay to the credit card company. Isn't that sweet?

The reason I forget is I have an Amazon.ca Visa that DOESN'T charge a conversion fee. I use it whenever I'm shopping State-side. ;-)
Yes I was thinking I should apply for that, I foresee it will be coming in handy for future EGO products.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Not only that, but they usually give a $20 discount on your first Amazon.ca purchase with the card. Win/Win!
(Edited)
Photo of Janice

Janice

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
FYI. I am a Canadian lawn and garden dealer in Southwestern Ontario. I just yesterday signed up with the Canadian distributor for Ego to be a dealer for the Ego products. Looking at the information I have so far in Canada the snowblower kit is only the dual 5 ah batteries. I do see that at this time they do not have the 7.5 kits or bare tool in Canada for this year, but that may change by next winter. I am just putting together my first order of equipment and hope to be all set and ready to go in the next 3 to 4 weeks. As far as I know so far I will be authorized to repair any Ego products but I will double check with the distributor. I am located just outside of Windsor, ON. Not listed on Ego site yet, they say it will take a little time to get everything set up. My email is glope@bellnet.ca. my name is Doug and my business is Great Lakes Outdoor Power Equipment. I am looking forward to getting this new line of equipment in, I took a look at several of the pieces and the battery system and I was very impressed with the quality of it. I have worked with the WORD line of equipment previously and this is far superior to that.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Welcome aboard, Janice!!!!

FYI, there's a store in Alberta called Union Wheel that can apparently order the 15Ah snowblower kits. You might try contacting them to see if they can share their secret if it's not listed on Ego's order form. There have been several people on here looking to order that kit as the retail price through UW is $1072, but shipping from Alberta is pricey at $150.

You got it right... Ego's battery tech is second to none right now. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,744 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That is great to hear more distributors are coming online for canada. I feel bad for my neighbors to the north cuz they can't get the fun stuff we in the statest get to have.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Bravo, for more distribution here in Canada. It is also always good to have competition to keep everyone honest and a little more hungry.
I am on record many times saying Home Depot does not represent Ego very well. Neither from a Sales, Warranty or repair perspective.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.