ego snow blower

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi All! I Just bought my ego snow blower and I have used it three times. The first two times it worked like a champ as I saw in the many youtube reviews. But, last night it was not shooting my snow as far and some of the snow was coming out of the front. I know it is frigid up here in Chicago, do you think it is clogged? Has anyone run into this issue? When I set it to the highest power level it sounds like it matches my first two uses, but like I said it is only shooting about 3' away from the blower. Has anyone ever had this issue or know how to fix it? Think it may be defective?
Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Checking for a clog is easy; disengage the batteries and check the chute, use a tool to unclog with (or a stick). Spray chute and paddles with silicone to prevent clogging.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 1,334 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Put machine on some corrugated cardboard to catch overspray and runoff. Let this dry overnight if possible in a warm space. I've used any brand of silicone spray for decades. Use pure silicone. None of that stuff with a spritz of canola or olive oil, okay? I am now using Dupont Teflon Snow and Ice Repellent because a low price made it jump off the shelf into my Lowes cart. It's silicone with Teflon. If you can think beyond the C8 cancer lawsuits from years back this product is very effective. It's better because the sprayer nozzle produces a fine, even pattern like a spray paint can which is what you want in this app. Most economic. 
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

Regarding melt. I have these small mats with a very stiff 1/2" high poly forest of bristles. Bought for my boots but found they work quite well under the snow thrower. No stain on the floor and everything dries faster. Think of it as a dish drainer for your snow thrower. Guess what. They also work for snowy shovels, brooms, and scrapers. New rust stains on my garage floor are avoided.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

Sorry I have so much to say here. Regarding wet snow less than say 8" deep. Wet snow is most often wettest at the bottom. On my driveway I throw the snow just far enough to land on the future next pass or two passes over. This way the wet snow lands on top of somewhat drier snow. Then when you make another pass they get mixed and very often adopt a consistency that allow it to be thrown quite a bit further up on your front yard. Think of it as making a custom hybrid snow that the machine savors. Being in not too much of a hurry and experimenting can lead to very satisfying results.

William E Hanson

Peter, I use my Worx Hydroshot to "power wash" the unit with battery compartment covered, blow off excess water with my EGO leaf blower, then wipe down using cotton shop towels, air dry, treat chute and paddles with silicone spray before pulling back into a warm garage for storage.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

What? No Simonize?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
How deep was the snow? Some people have said it doesn't throw far if the snow is less than a couple of inches deep.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I’m curious about this as well. With mine I have to have 3-4 inches of snow to get good throwing performance, any less and the distance drops off considerably.

A trick I use if there’s only a light snowfall: push the snow to one side with your shovel and then use the snowblower to blow the pile. Still quick and easy, and the snowblower does all the throwing. ;-)
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

Blue Angel is right. In light snow push to one side with a shovel (X-Y) and let the EGO handle the lifting (Z). All my gas powered machines have done poorly in shallow snow especially if it is super dry and fluffy. The best throwing distances are achieved when the snow is deep enough (2"+) and a little damp. For a millisecond the snow is compacted in the chute and becomes like a railroad train (or sausage) exiting from the top. Sounds corny but "Learn to think like the snow". The augers or paddles and the housing behind them are all fashioned after the same reliable geometry that has worked with gas machines for decades. In other words, in light snows the throwing performance of a good gas machine and the EGO are fundamentally identical.
(Edited)
Photo of Rodney Ruth

Rodney Ruth

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't have my EGO yet but I experience this with my old Toro blower.  If there is little snow it doesn't throw it as far as if there is 3-8 inches...........I think that might be your issue.
Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

Hi All got a chance to run it this morning. Worked much better! I think you all are right with a few inches not much happens. It's gotta be the right mix. I hit some big piles just for fun and it threw it 10' and bogged down the motor. Just testing it. Totally happy with it still! 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yup - small amounts just not enough snow to generate the push to throw it all out a a good rate.  Thus is spits a few feet.  Like Blue said it still works great in smaller snow falls if you do some initial pushing of the snow with a shovel to create a deeper area and then use the blower and it works great.

And with really big piles - larger that the mouth of the blower - it is too much snow to take in and expel properly.  So either tip the blower up to cut of the top off the pile or take off slices from the side only filling half of the mouth.  Either of these methods allows the blower to process the amount of snow coming in and throw it 20' + efficiently.  Also moving thru the snow slower can help with big piles.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My rule is that if it is 2" snow or less..ferget it.
Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

Thanks all for the comments! Glad to see an active community here. Annnnnnd I know we are all pumped that we're not mixing gas and oil anymore! ;)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Amen and Amen
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,944 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,480 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have to make sure I don't break out my snowblower when my next-door neighbor is blowing his snow because I can't stand the smell of gas and oil that wafts over to my driveway!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

that is true.  I really noticed my neighbors smell earlier this year.  An he is across the street and one door down.Not pleasant.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,582 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That's really bad.  I think we should ban any vehicle that runs on gas...lol.  You guys should complain to your neighbors and sell them an Ego snow blower.  See if Ego will give you guys a commission.  
Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

Hey all can you check this video out above. (Side note LED lights rock) But, it may be hard to tell but the snow throws about 5 feet, and a bunch is coming out of the front. I'm jealous of all the posts talking about throwing it 35'. I haven't had that since my first use. When you watch the video it looks like the snow blower chutes. What do you all think?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hey Steven, it looks like there's only an inch or two of snow there?  If that's the case, yes, the machine will only throw a few feet.  Once you get into 3-4" of snow or more it will throw much better.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Blue is right on - need enough material to really launch the snow.

Also the angle and direction of the chute affect the throwing.  Straight ahead and tilted up the chute will throw the farthest.  Throwing to the side and angled down, decrease the throwing distance to various degrees.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,472 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have a bit that throws out the front too (I've learned to keep my garage door closed so it doesn't throw anything forward into the garage). Overalll, I believe it's a common problem for single stage snow blowers and not necessarily specific to this EGO. I think about the only way to get around this would be to add an impeller to the machine (which would make it a two-stage).
Photo of Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor

Thanks for the response guys! That's what I think is causing the in-efficiency. I see a lot of snow coming out of the front of it. I was wondering if I should spray something in the chute to make the snow flow better. Just geeking out on this! I know when it snows heavier my blower bogs down instead of throwing it as seen in those youtube videos.

William E Hanson

Steven, silicon spray does it wonders; spray chute and paddles while dry for best effectiveness.
Photo of Jack Davis

Jack Davis

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You don't say how heavy or water-laden the snow was at each use. Heavier snow will not go as far as light fluffy snow.