Ego should build a battery gauge accessory

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Battery fuel meter

I'm evisioning a small thing that you can pop on your battery that understands the various different models of batteries that ego has made and makes now (if you had to manually select with a button which type you had that would be fine too).  You clip it to a battery and it tells you percentage remaining on that battery.  Should be much better than Greeen, Yellow, Red, etc.  You don't leave it on the battery, you just have one and check each battery you want to know and then can more easily tell which ones you should charge or carry with you for a job b/c you know which ones have enough juice to do the job, etc.  This would suffice a lot of the complaints and not require Ego to make new batteries or gauges in the tools themselves.  Seems like a fair solution and keeps costs down (which are already too high for batteries when buying them alone).
Photo of Tom Bilen

Tom Bilen

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You would think this would be relatively simple.  I'd buy one.
Photo of charlie hepler

charlie hepler

• 1,338 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Not a bad idea!  I use a multi  meter if I want a better look at the current charge state of the batteries but a small unit to just plug in would be a good thing.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Phase 1: this battery meter
Phase 2: incorporate the meter into the mower
Phase 3: make add-on meter for ANY hand held tool

This would be very helpful with the high current draw tools.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Phase 4 , battery diagnostics and battery uplink to a master EGO database that tracks battery data. Helps determine the health of the battery.

DOOO IT EGO

(a)Typical Engineer

Walk the crawl grass-hoppa...  they need to add the Wi-Fi controls for remote operation first, then we can piggy back the BMS data on top of that. =)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Phase 5, satellite connectivity for OTA updates and real time tracking. Tesla style.
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,884 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Sheesh!  I only need/want a meter, you know,  the kind you manually attach, read, detach, done!!!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,740 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am with you Jeff, I just need a "push" button like my MacBook Pro with 5 LED lights to tell me Full or Empty - don't need all the fancy stuff ... :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

So you don't want it to be covered in cool buttons, then???
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

LOL ... Now that is overwhelming ....

(a)Typical Engineer

Here is where you insert that disturbing picture of the two hands with 31 fingers!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Oh no ... I will let Blue have the honor, as it is his picture.  I would never post something that disturbing either ... :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Lol, you should see me play the piano with my toes.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.