Ego riding mower

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Be the Tesla of Electric Lawn Equipment.

Is there anyway to know if ego is actively researching a riding mower? I have to say the ryobi riding mower is very tempting. I am willing to wait another year and I would love to see ego make that jump. So far everything I have is great from ego. My yard is just a tad too large for the push mower -just under an acre....I hope to hear some good news soon.
Photo of William Mosby

William Mosby

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We love great ideas like this, William, but we do not currently have anything like that planned.
Photo of James Granger

James Granger

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ryobi has one. I would love to see Ego come out with one as all my other tools are Egoplus. Please start working on this!
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have been following the new Ryobi Riding Mower on line.  Cool looking mower ... the batteries are "lead acid" batteries like your car - not Lithium Ion like EGO.  To your point, love to see what EGO will come up with in the near future for "riding mower" design and battery technology.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately EGO has no plans for anything like this
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure they're adding the Ah rating if all four 12V batteries together to get 100Ah. In reality, it's a 48V 25Ah system, about 1200Wh, or a little more than the capacity of three 7.5Ah Ego batteries.

If Ego wanted to they could just expand the "Peak Power" arrangement from the snowblower to four batteries and have a kickass power supply for a mower. With four 7.5Ah batteries on board they would have access to 1500Wh (1.5kWh) of juice.

Or have six PP battery bays, a removable mower deck, and a 36" front mount snowblower attachment. BOOYA! :-)

Why stop there? How about a powered tiller attachment as well?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Now that is the spirit ..... :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So why are they using lead acid batteries.  Keep the cost down ?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

You are correct!  With Li-ion battery technology being newer than lead acid battery, the cost is still high but it is coming down year after year .... see the chart below, and the link to your question.

https://medium.com/solar-microgrid/battery-showdown-lead-acid-vs-lithium-ion-1d37a1998287

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm sure cost is thebiggest part of it. The problem with lead acid batteries is they lose their capacity after relatively few cycles. Lithium are good for many hundred, if not a thousand or more cycles.

For someone with a larger yard who needed near the full capacity, I could see needing new batteries in that Ryobi every 2-3 years (big $$$). Mainly because there's no way to fast charge... if you run out before you're done, you're waiting until the next day to mow again. Not convenient, and convenience is one of battery electric's strongest selling points.

There's a reason battery electric mowers never caught on years ago, and that reason was the lead acid batteries they used.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

To Blue's point, here are the 7 Facts Comparing Li-ion vs Lead Acid for your reference:

Facts About Lithium Vs. Lead Acid Batteries

Lead, which is the heaviest non-radioactive metal, has been the standard in batteries for decades. Why should you consider a lithium battery conversion? Here are seven features explaining the disparity between lead acid and lithium-ion batteries. 

1)   Weight: Lithium-ion batteries are one-third the weight of lead acid batteries. 

2)   Efficiency: Lithium-ion batteries are nearly 100% efficient in both charge and discharge, allowing for the same amp hours both in and out. Lead acid batteries’ inefficiency leads to a loss of 15 amps while charging and rapid discharging drops voltage quickly and reduces the batteries’ capacity.

3)   Discharge: Lithium-ion batteries are discharged 100% versus less than 80% for lead acid. Most lead acid batteries do not recommend more than 50% depth of discharge.

4)   Cycle Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries cycle 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid. Cycle life is greatly affected by higher levels of discharge in lead acid, versus only slightly affected in lithium-ion batteries.

5)   Voltage: Lithium-ion batteries maintain their voltage throughout the entire discharge cycle. This allows for greater and longer-lasting efficiency of electrical components. Lead acid voltage drops consistently throughout the discharge cycle.

6)   Cost: Despite the higher upfront cost of lithium-ion batteries, the true cost of ownership is far less than lead acid when considering life span and performance.

7)   Environmental Impact: Lithium-ion batteries are a much cleaner technology and are safer for the environment.
(Edited)
Photo of Piggy

Piggy

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
lithium ion battery cost coming down is wishful thinking of course.....
1. rare earth is controlled by a handful of countries....this is even worse than OPEC
2. tesla is sucking up all the supply for its gigafactory
3. more manufacturers will be depending on those batteries

There is a chance the cost would actually go up.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Based on several articles I have read, the new Gigafactory could help to drive down Li-ion battery prices ... see this article from Greentech Media published in June 2016 ... :-)

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/stem-cto-weve-seen-battery-prices-fall-70-in-the-last-1...

Photo of Piggy

Piggy

Yes, that's assuming 1. tesla monopolize the market 2. everyone else confirms to whatever tesla sells.
It could happen. But like everyone who planned to monopolize and corner a market in the history 1. they may not make it 2. they may get greedy when they actually get there....
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

The good news is that LG Chem, Samsung and Panasonic also makes lithium ion batteries as well. So competition will help to drive down prices ...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The trend has shown a 7% cost/capacity improvement, year over year, for nearly a decade. The analysts all seem to think the trend will continue for the foreseeable future, unless some new battery tech launches and tilts that trend further.

7%/year for ten years is a doubling of capacity or a halving of cost.
Photo of Piggy

Piggy

I'm surprised that Tesla hasn't gone out with one:-D
Even porsche has a lawnmower.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Agreed! They are too busy with their rocket launches and future missions to Mars ... :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Piggy

Piggy

spaceX is still a totally separate company:-D 
But the tesla roof on the other hand is looking promising.......
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Last I checked, Elon was the founder, CEO and CTO of SpaceX ... :-)

Photo of Piggy

Piggy

Well, yes, but it is still a different company with a different board. 
Though it is still private, so he likely has full control over spacex board.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I hope they make one. As I am inclined to buy Ryobi's battery powered riding lawn mower. I have Ego 1st gen lawn mower, and 2nd gen blower, and 2nd gen trimmer. I love these products. However, seeing Ryobi beat them to the punch hurts. We want riding lawn mower, and the quality Ego provides!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ryobi always beats everyone in time to production. Thats cuz they design their tools to last like 20 uses.

Just my opinion.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.