EGO, Please start a technical FAQ that is moderated.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: NA

It would be nice to have a web page listing FAQ's about problems that have accumulated over the past year and a half with official recommendations on how to fix, or not to fix.  I would love to browse through all of the fixes I've read in these forums on a well designed FAQ page on EGO's website. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • Interested.

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
YES! Sorted by product, a list of known issues/questions, typical symptoms, troubleshooting tips and recommendations. Done well, something like this could have a dramatic impact on how many calls are placed with Customer Service as well!

I also think that section (or a separate section) could use a "quick look" of all the technical specs and replacement part numbers for all the tools. It would be a very handy resource, especially for those of us who are online helping others with issues. It's cumbersome (and data intensive) to download and view the PDF manual for a product every time a question comes up and I need to look at the reference material.

The information could even be disayed in a chart format for weights and measures, and general features like Variable Speed (Yes/No).

Sorry for the thread hijack, SDSC, but I think these topics could benefit each other. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a good thing. I also was thinking about the customer service aspects of it.
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Great ideas SCDC and Blue Angel!  I would love to be able to see a real world troubleshooting guide by all of us users of EGO tools and accessories.  What an invaluable resource it would be!

Stan Fayfar
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I also think this is a great idea,
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is a great idea.  We're discussing internally on how to implement this.  If you have specific threads or comments you think we could use as reference, can you please send them to support@egopowerplus.com with the subject: FAQ?  Then we can cull everything into one place and get something up for everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Any update on a technical FAQ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, I'd all but forgotten about this! I think it would still be a great idea, and even more so as Ego's tool lineup grows.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It was and still is an excellent idea! We are currently working to streamline questions, eliminate duplicates, and add more sections as needed.
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Amber, phase 1 appears to have been the clean-up of duplicate questions, but will there be a phase 2?  Right now, the lack of an FAQ section leads people to post their question (even if it is a duplicate).  here is a suggested starter:
My battery exhibited symptom "X", and then in addition to what is listed in the manual, the FAQ for this would have entries like:
-When I put my battery on the charger, the charger turns on/off and a clicking relay can be heard.  solution: replace battery
One way to approach the FAQ would be if the same question got asked a couple different ways, AND it is not in the manual; then the FAQ is the temporary stop gap solution for customers to find an answer, but only UNTIL THE MANUAL IS UPDATED.  At which point the item would be removed from the FAQ, or could be kept (but then you are maintaining duplicate information, which is not recommended).
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Actually implementing that would come with its ups and downs...  I almost feel like it might be faster to just post the problem on the forum even if it is one that many people have had before just because the response time would be quick, and I don't really see people wanting to read through a bunch of possible issues.  Now that many people on this forum are familiar with frequent problems, response time to newcomers with familiar problems will be increased due to the number of people on the forum with the ability to help that individual.  Blue Angel is particularly famous with that kind of thing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.