EGO NEXUS POWER STATION - REVIEW!!!!

• Article
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Join KiteArmy to learn more about this amazing product!

Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,872 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
  • Super Powered Up!

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Nice Review, enjoyed the video and the explanation on a few things I wasn't clear on.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,832 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
That's what KiteArmy does - clarity :)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,712 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Squeeeeeeeee!!!!!
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Prairiedog looks around their house for the microphone! Literally just had a discussion about this last week! Throwing money at Ego... Anyone know how to wire a plug onto a 1/2 horse well pump?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Neutral, live and ground. Can’t be too difficult!
Photo of SLG

SLG

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nice review!
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Thanks mate - glad you liked
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,994 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did I see a quick mention of the 7.5 ah battery with fuel gauge? 
Also, did I miss any mention of when the inverter is acting as a battery charger it can't be used as an inverter? Entirely possible I missed it.
Nice review. Thanks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,942 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
yup it appears the 7.5 with fuel gauge is shipping with the power stations

And no I don't think you missed it -  I just think Andrew didn't really go into details on the charging aspect.
(Edited)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Good eyes Mike - This thing has so many features it would take an hour long video to get to them all.  So the deal is you can't charge when using the unit as an inverter but that's OK because I would suspect that you probably don't have power.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,994 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
KA, yeah, it'll be interesting to see if a solar option comes along and if the inverter can be used and also charge batteries while connected to solar. 
Photo of SLG

SLG

KA, do you see any port reserved for solar connection? Is there a standard Solar MC4 port?

I wish I could use standard solar panel and standard connector to charge it instead of buy something just for this.

If there is no MC4 port, I guess it will be an extra solar charge controller to purchase. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,206 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Theres no stand alonr port for a solar charger. That cover with 2 screws houses a replaceable blade fuse.
(Edited)
Photo of SLG

SLG

If the power brick is 170 watt and there is no special port for solar, does that mean that the power station can only accept solar panel less than 170W?
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Supposedly they designed the Power Station to have an external power supply so that it can be upgraded or connected to a solar panel aray
Photo of SLG

SLG

Hope the external power supply use the MC4 connector!
Finger crossed.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I don't think that it is a MC4
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nice review Andrew! I gotta ask though, what’s the heat source for your hot tub?
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

The EGO Nexus heated and bubbled
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It heated the whole volume of water from cold to hot tub? If so, that’s impressive!
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

That would be - It can run the hot tub bubbles and heat for about 2 hours
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Hi everyone - finally got around to charging the car with the EGO power station.  With 4 7.5Ah batteries I was able to squeeze 7 miles of charge into the car in the period of 1.5 hours.  Not bad, considering I normal charge on a 2-phase 220v 30 amp circuit.  Link to review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZu45KSRoZ0

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for posting Andrew.  This question was asked on another post and this certainly answers it.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Yeah - it's a tempting idea but not sure how practical.  Sort of like running a hot tub
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well I would see it as an emergency type situation.  If you went on a road trip and ran out of juice 5 miles from the next charging station.   If your power is out at home but there is power 5 miles away. etc
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Yeah instead of can you bring me some a can of gas - it's can you bring my EGO power station
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

well, I'd have it in my car. on trips I might be pushing the range.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

exactly
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

A fun and maybe helpful bit of travel trivia: Many roads built across America after the 1870s tend to follow routes laid out by the railroads. Why? Steam engines had an enormous need for water, so railroads built water tanks every 6 miles or so. That meant trains stopped. If trains were stopped farmers could load commodities on to them and mail could be delivered. Where people were congregating commerce naturally sprung up so general stores were set up to recieve goods delivered by the train. Harness makers and implement dealers set up shop to trade with the farmers. All these people needed to live someplace, so they built some houses. Voila! A town arises because trains were thirsty. And these towns popped up every 6 miles or so, wherever a water tower was planted. The old, "whistle stops." Of course, not everyone traveled by train, so they built roads for the buggys to get between the towns. As auto travel increased at the turn of the 20th century, it was clearly easier to use an existing route than cut wholesale a new path. Obviously some folks saw the opportunity for gas stations with all that road grading. Where did they go? In those towns, of course. Hence, especially out here in flyover land, if the road you are driving on parallels even an old rail line, you are likely within 6 miles or so of a small town or gas station. Prairiedog politely bows, and steps away from the podium.
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I look forward to the pattern repeating with high speed charging stations. Might bring some of those sleepy towns back.
Photo of UHJ090 .

UHJ090 .

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Too bad it doesn’t have a transfer switch like the xantrex powerhub. If it did you could use it as a proper UPS. http://www.xantrex.com/power-products...
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Huh, too bad the xanax or whatever it is didn't think to make itself compatible with all our existing stables of Ego batteries. too bad. And you know flogging a different platform on a competitors fan page is pretty much cheesy ad fail 101.