Ego Mower Self-Propel issues

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Solved

I’m really wanting to love Ego mowers, but they are making it difficult for me. Last May I purchased two 21” self-propelled mowers. One went to my son’s house where I take care of mowing his lawn. The other one was for use at home on my own yard. My son’s mower worked perfect through last year’s lawn mowing season and has been good so far this season. The mower that I purchased for use at my house developed a problem with the self-propel switch. Occasionally, when I would engage the self-propel switch, the mower would not move. After releasing the switch and re-engaging it, it would take off. As time went on, the frequency of this happening increased. I finally became frustrated enough with it that I took it back to Home Depot shortly before my 90-day return period ended. I opted to get a refund rather than bring home a new one, as I heard about the 20” steel deck brushless motor model. I intended to wait until HD had them in stock and then purchase that model. My old mower limped through the rest of the mowing season and I realized HD wasn’t going to stock the brushless motor model in any of the stores around here. So, last month I ordered the 20” brushless self-propelled model from the HD website. I loved everything about the mower except for the self-propelled speed control. Rather than the speed gradually increasing as I moved the lever, it stayed pretty much constant at a pace that was a little too slow for my liking. Then, just as it got close to the max position, the mower would speed up to a pace that I almost had to run to keep up with. I figure something is wrong with the speed control switch, but I decided to live with it, as I really like the everything else about the mower. Now, after mowing the lawn 3 or 4 times it has developed the same exact problem as 21” mower that I returned last season. I know that the protocol is to call the Ego customer service number, but I assume the only response will be to take it to HD for warranty service. But I shouldn’t have to be without a mower for 4 to 8 weeks after just buying a new one. So, I guess I’m going to return this one to HD within the 90-day period, but then I face the decision of moving on to a different brand or trying yet another Ego LM2022SP. Sorry for the rant but I just needed to vent.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 43,704 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Since it's within the 90-day return period I would just take it back to HD and replace it as defective. It's frustrating to get a defective unit, but HD makes the exchange process as easy as you could ask for.

I have a push mower, so I have no experience as to whether this is normal behavior of the switch on the steel deck self-propelled mower.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

"Since it's within the 90-day return period I would just take it back to HD and replace it as defective. It's frustrating to get a defective unit, but HD makes the exchange process as easy as you could ask for."

It would be easy if they had another one in stock, but after the return I'll need to order a new one on the web. If I knew that one would be OK that would be one thing, but after 2 out of 3 being defective I'm not real optimistic.
Photo of Don

Don

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My speed control only runs on fast if it is wet. Can't wait six weeks to get it repaired.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
How about keeping it dry?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 58,468 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Boring
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Lol
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

All I have to say is variable speed should be 100% variable from 0 to full speed. And it should also ramp up to speed. Not doing this is lazy engineering.

Sounds like a dead spot in the potentiometer (maybe hall effect). Not a bad way to scrap a 600$ mower.

Jim. Vent away bud. It's the only way we can get engineers attention
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Personally, I’d keep ordering new ones until I got one that works perfectly, like your son’s mower. These are expensive tools, they should work properly.

Issues with the SP are not that common, I believe you’re just extremely lucky to have gotten two defective units. Pick up a lottery ticket after you get your new mower! :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,968 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have an 21 SP unit and the SP works great.  Gradually increasing the speed 0-60
Get a new one with a properly working SP switch.  Your son and I have one ;)
You should get one too
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 10,552 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
There's no zero on mine....it starts slow and goes up from there.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,968 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You are correct mine also does not go 60
So I issue a correction
Gradually increasing speed 1/2 - 16.3
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 10,552 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Wait....afaik the propel switch is on or off....the small one on the left is how fast. Maybe I'm reading this wrong...
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

• 384 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That is correct. I am having an issue with both of these controls. The propel switch doesn't always work and the speed control does not gradually increase the speed.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 5,822 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
We use these mowers and do have this problem regularly. Even today when it was nice and dry out the propulsion lever wasn't working consistently. We have found the problem to be more often when we are working in heavy rain conditions, which has been happening a lot lately. I am not sure which component is causing the problem...the lever, the speed dial or the underside motor. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

I would bet it is the speed lever because it's not a switch like the engagement Lever is. More likely to be affected mby moisture I would think.

The motor below is just a brushed motor. I don't see that being the problem. Probably not the controller either. It is potted.
Photo of Terry Johnston

Terry Johnston

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Explain “potted” please.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

I never mow when it is wet and still experience this problem. The humidity hasn't even been high this spring. When the propel lever doesn't make the mower go, I've tried keeping the propel lever engages and playing with the speed control at the same time, but it still will not mover forward until I release the propel lever and then re-engage it. I've never had the propel lever fail 2 consecutive times. It usually never fails in the first 15 or 20 minute of mowing. Frustrating!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 16,354 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Terry, potted basically means encapsulated in some sort of epoxy. After a circuit board is populated with the various electronic components and the components are soldered in place they are still susceptible to breakage from vibration and corrosion from the elements so the entire circuit board with components gets coated with an epoxy to help keep them protected. 
Here's an example image of some epoxy being poured onto a circuit board.
Photo of Terry Johnston

Terry Johnston

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Thanks mike
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Update: I've returned the LM2022SP to Home Depot and have another one ordered from Home Depot.com. Fingers crossed that the 4th time is the charm. Thanks for all of your comments.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Update #2: The new LM2022SP arrived today via UPS. This one is worse than the previous 2 that I have returned. The previous 2 worked fine for a about 3 weeks before they began to intermittently not move when the self-propel switch was engaged. This one had the same problem right out of the box. The 2nd time I engaged self-propel it wouldn’t move. With the previous 2 mowers when I would release the self-propel switch and reengage it, it would always take off. This one sometimes won’t move until I release and engage the switch 3 or 4 times. I’m very frustrated and tired of taking mowers back to Home Depot. The variation in the speed control is slightly better on this one but still is either too slow or too fast for the most part. Oh yeah, they included the wrong operator’s manual with it also.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 58,464 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
SMH EGO...........
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,090 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This sounds odd... were these brand new or did they look like they’d been opened before?
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

They were all brand new.
Photo of Aero Man

Aero Man

• 60 Points
Same problem with the self-propel lever, which started today.  Move the lever to engage... nothing.  Move the lever to engage a 2nd time - it goes!  My variable speed control still works, though.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Update #3: I called EGO Customer Support this morning and they are sending me a new mower. Fingers crossed that the 4th time is the charm. I really like everything about the mower other than the self-propel issues. That is why I'm giving it one more chance before giving up.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 54,164 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You have our sincere apologies for the hassle and inconvenience, Jim. Please keep us posted as to your new mower.
Photo of Malcom Howard

Malcom Howard

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm in my second season with my SP mower.  And I'm having the same problem as last season.  Apparently, the SP motor overheats and/or draws excessive amperage.  When that occurs, the leftmost light on the rear panel flashes various colors and the mower initiates a shutdown procedure.  I can restart the mower a few seconds later, but cannot successfully use SP for a couple minutes. 

I'm mowing in mild weather, and use the SP feature very little, but still have the problem. It's really irritating and considerably reduces my satisfaction with this mower and its usefulness to me. 

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?  I should have returned the mower within 90 days of purchase.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 39,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have heard of some issues with the SP, but not the same as yours.

Should you have returned the mower within 90 days to HD ?  If it was not working properly, that is usually the easiest and fastest way to get a new machine.
As that is water under the bridge lets move on.

Contact customer service.  Call first thing in the morning if you can to avoid a long wait.  You can also leave a call back message or number if you don't want to wait on hold.

1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Irving Lamansky

Irving Lamansky

• 574 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am going through a similar issue with my sp bought in June 2016 through HD.  Has been working just fine but now the speed control will not increase from its slow speed.  Switch works okay, just the variable control isn't working.  I have started the process of contacting customer service.  Hope my experience will be better than some I have read about on this forum.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Update #4: My replacement mower that was shipped to me by Customer Support arrived this afternoon. I anxiously unpacked it and proceeded to mow the front yard. Same exact issue with this mower! Sometimes it takes 3 and 4 times of engaging the SP lever before the mower will move. I’m going to sleep on it, but most likely I will return this mower to EGO and return the other one to Home Depot and be done with EGO. This is the 3rd LM2022SP I’ve had since March, so it seems like a waste of time and effort to try another one.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

That's insane.

There is a delay when you pull the handle... Have you tried engaging it and waiting a second or 2 to eliminate that as being the issue. It doesn't engage like normal gas mowed do. So engage the self propelled, and wait 2 seconds.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,090 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If that's not the case and the mower really does have the same issue for which it was sent out, I can't blame Jim for being ticked off... especially given his history with two other mowers.

I've said this about car dealerships for a long time: you can make the perfect car, but if your dealership network is lacking in the Customer Service department people will not have a good ownership experience.

Ego mowers are no different.  If having them serviced and/or repaired under warranty is a hassle, the ownership experience takes a proportional hit.  Jim's experience is no different than taking a car in for some annoyance, only to get it back claiming to be fixed and the issue is still there.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Amen to that brotha.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Jacob - I'm very aware of the normal delay when engaging the SP. This problem is not that delay. When this problem happens, the mower will not move until the lever is released and then re-engaged. Sometimes it takes 2, 3 or 4 times of releasing the lever and re-engaging it before the mower moves. I've let the mower set there with the lever engaged for as long as 30 - 45 seconds while I've moved the speed control, jiggled the electric cable, jiggled the mower handle at the extension clamp are to see if there is a short somewhere.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

That's so crazy because this is the first time I have heard of this, and for you to have 4 mowers have this same issue.....I'm not saying your lying. I'm saying that is some bad karma you have there.
Photo of Jim McD

Jim McD

Update #5: Shortly after posting Update #4 I received a phone call from Ego. We discussed the exact issue that I was experiencing in more detail. I told them I could send a video showing the problem that I was experiencing. I received a phone call a few days later confirming they had received my video and that it had been forwarded to their engineers. 

I talked with them again today and their solution was to send me yet another LM2022SP, or instead, send me the 21-inch mower (LM2102SP) as a replacement. I chose to stick with the LM2022SP, as I prefer this model. I’m sure hoping this one will not have the same problem. 

They are also sending me an additional 5.0 Battery for my inconvenience, which I appreciate very much.