Ego Mower DC Motor Brush Replacement

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
Here's a vid on repairing my LM2000E mower which included replacing the main PCB and the motor brushes.
https://youtu.be/rQ4cg9WT1bM

Photo of mattysa

mattysa

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for posting this.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,246 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Now this is what I'm talking about. More DIY information! Thanks!
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Kickass
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

I love DIY, but would have been GREAT if you did a video from start to finish (disassembly and assembly).   Thanks Mate.
Photo of mattysa

mattysa

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It was inly after I had it all apart did I think to start taking pictures sorry.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 946 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is what I come here for!

All of these modern companies spend so much time carefully cultivating a social media presence of unbiased glowing product reviews. If they could just slip in some videos where “Amature Dave from Denver does a complete teardown with shocking levels of part number detail”, it would *almost* be a decent trade for the lack of phone support and long repair times.

I would bet there is a lot of overlap between being a lawn fanatic and having a general DIY attitude. Frankly, I’d rather just pay $50 for parts and fix it myself than wait 5-10 weeks for Home Depot to maybe fix it even if it is under warranty.

Imagine if EGO could become the VW Bus of modern times with a huge community of digital hippies keeping them running forever....
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,076 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Only if I don’t have to listen to the Grateful Dead. Haha.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 1,334 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Tom, my first car was a $25 1961 VW Beetle with 99K miles. My dad paid $35 for a tow home. Got it running in a day since I had already read "The Complete Idiots's Guide to VW Repair" when 15. Could there be a CEO out there with the VolksMower passion of Dr. Eng. Ferdinand Porsche? This thread is good timing as "Right to Repair" is back in the news again. As an aside I had one encounter with EGO customer service and since it was about a blower that died after 5 minutes I just got a newer, better one from Home Depot. No complaints. The EGO lady told me the LB5800 hit the market that very day so I ordered from HD immediately. 18 months of immense satisfaction. Mower was next. Back to DIY self repair. It's all about profit and liability. Sadly, even a $500 mower is considered a disposable commodity. In contrast I have a 26 year old Toro snow thrower that works great even though I only use it alternating years for "exercise". I have spent with pros and on my own 1.5 times the purchase price of the machine on maintenance. Couldn't be happier with the ROI. Friends and family are hoping I leave it to them in my will. I will not pretend to know how to guide a DIY Repair/Whole Earth Catalog/Stewart Brand discussion in relation to EGO, et al. Complex topic.Thanks a ton MATTYSA for your video. Not just for the specifics but for the flame you've ignited. Or should I say didn't ignite because of your common sense. Certainly your procedure is for the upper range of DIY skill and confidence. Please tell us about your experience acquiring the parts and the prices. This would be a good jumping off point in branching the thread.

Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

Tom: "THIS IS WHAT I COME HERE FOR." Ditto that sentiment.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

NEWS FLASH: EGO Mobile will be passing through Cleveland, Detroit, and Indianapolis in a few weeks. Please contact us with your maintenance concerns and schedule an appointment. We'll be hanging out at the local Home Depots. Even if you just need a few pointers, we're here to help....OneGreenMachine at a time. While we don't have the sizzle of the Oscar Mayer WeinerMobile you won't miss us. Our van looks like an EGO battery with 4 monster tires. Hot dogs,
bratwurst, chips and sodas are on the menu. Just kidding. In your dreams. Or in your future?