Ego Hexacopter

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Ego battery powered hexacopter. Has anyone tried this yet?
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
the weight of the packaging on the battery would be a big detractor. Much better to just use some LiPos from hobby King or the like.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Was thinking the same. However, an Ego battery would probably have segment-leading crash survival stats! :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
And loads of data to back it up.  

read the headlines... Over 1000 crashes today with 100% survival of the battery.  The mini hexacopter no so much luck.  To carry the weight of the battery the copter would need to be massive.
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

It's all about the coolness factor
(Edited)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wow... 30hp! That's crazy! On a 50v Ego battery system, that would have peaks of well over 400A!

Samsung 25R's are good for 30A peaks, so you'd need 7-8 of the 5Ah packs running in parallel if you wanted full power potential... say 10 just to be safe! The 7.5Ah pack doesn't have PCM cooling sleeves, and you'd need them at those power levels!

Forget a copter, we're talking serious go-cart or dirt bike power! :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Those motor specs are just about as much a fallacy as the HP specs on my shop vacuum (5.5hp motor).  They must be taken free spinning (no load) at the point of the motor coils melting.  Got to love marketing hype
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

They do say "peak", I'm sure the sustained power output would be much lower and very cooling dependent. :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

And the unit has eight massive 36" propeller blades and can be used to drone lift EGO lawn mowers and snow blowers direct to the customer same day when ordered as HomeDepot doesn't seem to want to carry them in stock.

I am beginning to warm up to the idea.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Anyone have 5 more leaf blowers I could borrow? We can build it we have the technology.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Love it.  There is the entrepreneurial spirit at work.  And if it crashes upside down, it can trim the grass edges at the same time.  Win Win in my books
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

For now I'm going with the e310 system. Kind of turned away by the $1300 ones x 6 to lift the ego battery
(Edited)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Only getting a mile and back on the old quadcopter so the next phase is going for two miles or more. Need more runtime.