Ego handhelds Commercially end of year update part 1

• Praise
  • Updated 1 week ago
As a commercial user ultimately I value reliability over everything else. Performance is also important so let's just assume that I would never figure out about a tools reliability if it didn't perform at a level I felt was necessary to do the job well and quickly.

Well I can tell you that I have had ZERO handheld failures and three battery issues with one 2.5 ah complete failure and two 5 ah batteries with flashing green lights. The 5 ah batteries have been flashing for a few months but still perform adequately.

On my truck I carry a complete power head system plus an additional power head motor and trimmer attachment. I carry two 530 cfm blowers, a brushless hedge trimmer and a 16" chainsaw. I also carry an assortment of batteries ...enough to power through whatever I may encounter. Some days I will also carry an Ego backpack blower. During Spring growth I also carried the backpack battery link to be able to run a 7.5 ah with the power head unit for some of the bigger yards I service.

Some highs and lows for each piece of Ego equipment I use:

Power Head unit: Has adequate power almost everywhere. The coupler performs as new. Could use better programming that would allow it to push a little harder a little longer. Ego really needs to improve the trigger safety location.

Power Head attachments: Really no surprises....each one is designed for a certain task and I have no complaints. I hope Ego continues to offer additional attachments to expand the use even further.

530 cfm blower: Real work horse. Delicate enough for bed work yet strong enough for sidewalks and shortish driveways. I have no lows to report.

Brushless Hedge Trimmer: Real pleasure to use. The lows are many..non serviceable gear box...blade steel a little lacking and a little to flexible chassis. All in all maybe their best offering. Wait...huh? Yep. I still think if I had only one Ego tool this would be it. Room for improvement...sure but really none of the lows listed. Simple...add a two speed switch. Give me a little more blade speed for bushes that need it.

16" chainsaw: Nice offering. Really performs 90% of my chainsaw needs nicely. It's biggest plus for me is the convenience it offers. The lows....easy...the oil fill opening is to small and to constricted. Plus programming is a little off....let it push a little longer and a little harder.

I'll add a little more in part 2 of my end of year report plus add my thoughts on Egos upcoming commercial offerings.

Please feel free to ask questions

Jeremy
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 3,102 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome update, thanks Jeremy!

Just remember to keep those flashing 5’s charged and they should continue to perform. If you’re not using them over the winter you’ll want to charge them every week or so to keep them from over discharging. Leaving them on the charger won’t work, unfortunately.

Looking forward to part 2!
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,144 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Jeremy, I'll also be curious what your thoughts are about EGO's new commercial line: http://commercial.egopowerplus.com/