EGO FANS - POWER INVERTER IS REAL!!!! (EGO Nexus Escape)

• Praise
  • Updated 15 hours ago
One word to describe the new EGO 150w power inverter - GameChanger! 

Check it out here first ----

Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 3,908 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
  • juiced up

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,446 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Fantastic news that Ego has finally produced a power inverter.   Andrew another awesome review.

Now when and where are they for sale. 

I see workshop addict has a review out this morning as well.
Photo of sglaesman

sglaesman

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I hear around September 10th should be available.
Photo of walt

walt

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
OK.  My interest is in the opposite direction.  With all the battery and charger problems that I have seen reported of late, it would be a great standby to have a 110v AC to 56V DC converter, so that my snow thrower could be "plugged in" whenever battery problems arise.
If someone has a simple design then I would like to see it - or if a product is available then I will buy it immediately!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 158,214 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Battery failures are rare and are taken care of quickly by Ego Customer Service. I don’t think an AC backup is necessary. ;-)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 3,898 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I got to give walt some credit on that suggestion.  Lets say that you forget to charge your battery and you want to snowblow.  Wouldn't it be cool to be able to plug it in to power it?
Photo of walt

walt

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Kite Army.  I'm just the kind of guy that wants the AC to DC conversion available, for the reason stated by Kite Army and then maybe your battery was enough for your driveway and then you have to recharge; but now you would like to help the neighbour with his or her driveway as they need help right away and your battery is done.  There are lots of practical reasons for the AC to DC converter as an add on to your kit.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 29,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ok, we leave for a 3 week trip in our trailer right after Labor Day. There will be some boondocking. Will one be here at our house before we leave? LOL.
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it available to us mere mortals. 
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

The are supposed to be on sale September 7th-ish
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank you so much. Can’t wait!
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I have used mine 2x for things other than the video - once when I lost power in my house and another time when we were eating on my deck and needed some lighting.  Very cool!
Photo of Marek Dziekonski

Marek Dziekonski

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Man, that looks amazing! Thanks for listening EGO!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Super glad to see this!!! Take my money!!!

Great review Andrew!
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Thanks for the nice comments - I'm not surprised that everyone is as enthusiastic about this news as me :)
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 5,480 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Very nice. Too bad it's limited to 150 watts, but I suppose that is so it will work with the smaller 2.0 or 2.5 AH batteries. With a 7.5 AH battery you could be able to pull out 500-1000 watts. Only question now is, how much?

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

With a full 150W power draw the 2Ah battery should run for about 35-40 min, longer at lower power levels.

In my opinion, this is a PERFECT application for Ego’s batteries. 150W doesn’t sound like much, but as both the Kite Army and Workshop Addict videos demonstrate, it’s enough to do many, MANY useful things. In fact, this 150W power source is 100% more useful than the one we didn’t have until now. ;-)
Photo of Alan Nieder

Alan Nieder

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree.  With a 7.5 Ah battery, I'd love to see 1000W.  Could run my oil burner a bit to keep things from freezing during a winter ice storm/power outage.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

My best guess is more cool things are coming down the pike...
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

Hello all, for those of you that were interested in lava lamps, I found some at HD for $15.97.
Enjoy,

Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Home Depot - If only they sold cloths, I wouldn't have to go to any other store!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

lol
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I think the retail is $99.  No the larger batteries do not increase the wattage - longer run times though.
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

Thanks for the info Kite Army! We have been waiting for this for a long time now. I own practically all their tools and all battery sizes. However it is amazing that you put it on YouTube, but the actual manufacturer does not even have it on their website. To me they are slacking just a bit.
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,178 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Someone probably screwed up, I don’t think this was supposed to be public.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Sorry, I couldn't wait a second longer :)
Photo of PICKLEBOY

PICKLEBOY

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Saw your video in my subscription list, very interesting product. Surprising to see this from a yard equipment company, definitely would like to get one of these. As often as we lost power during thunderstorms it would be handy! When does it go for sale?
(Edited)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Not just a yard tool company anymore :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,376 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!

Something cool coming. I can't wait
Photo of Louis Y

Louis Y

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I won the giveaway from Kite Army,  let me know what kind of test you guys like to see.  If i get is soon, i might post a video.  I need some ideas of what you guys like to see... so far I'm thinking testing my 2.5ah, 5ah and 7.5ah battery charging my other battery like dewalt...lol and charging my electric scooter in the back of my trunk ... stealing power from work ...lol.. i can't wait.... 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 156,706 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great job! Did you calculate a time or just guess?
Photo of Louis Y

Louis Y

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A little math. I have a similar fan and it uses about 65 watts of power and 2.5ah battery at 56v. Yields about a little over 2 hours. I thought it will be a tight game. But I guess everyone else just hope and guess. Lol.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 156,706 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nicely done!!!
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 632 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nice review KA. Thanks Ego for this great add-on.

One question ... where did KA find a working Lava lamp in 2018?
(Edited)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 3,644 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mate.  I'm going to request that EGO make a cordless Lava Lamp - powered by 56 volts of course.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 60 Points
Biggest problem with the batteries in the past were you couldn't tell how much power is left. Does the inverter have any type of display to tell you how much power is left?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 58,040 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Did not see any type of meter in the on line reviews.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 156,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The Workshop Addict video specifically mentions the lack of a power level indicator on both the batteries and the inverter.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 60,972 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Why is this oversight continually showing it's ugly face?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It will continue to be an annoying “feature” of the Ego platform until they one day decide to fix it. I have no idea how anyone at Ego could figure the current design is a good one... ?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,168 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Easy. I bet more people then not don’t even care or aren’t making enough “noise”, and with the way people are gobbling ego products up they’re not concerned with that feature?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That’s possible, however any time their tools get reviewed this is pointed out. With the weight that online tool reviews carry these days I’d be surprised if Ego isn’t getting the message.

Even the Hitachi 18v nailer I just bought gets criticized for its minimalist 2-stage battery level meter, as pretty much every single other tool company has adopted much better battery level indicators. The battery OPE market is pretty much the same way, with Ego’s indicator trailing the pack.
Photo of Steve Warren

Steve Warren

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed, even a tri-level indicator would be an improvement. Have red-yellow/amber-green.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

IT's Alive - EGO Nexus Escape
Home Depot link: https://goo.gl/KEQWoS
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well step 1 - it is on HD's website.  Now they just need to enable purchasing it.

Also up on Ego's site
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-batteries-chargers/products/nexus-escape

(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 28,908 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Can't wait to pick this up - many experiments to try with this inverter ... :-)

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Great to see this has the 5 year tool warranty as well!
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

How sad that HD has the item online, but when you try to order it you cannot add it to your cart. I chatted with HD and I quote”

Alyssa C at 11:09, Sep 7:
Sadly Jose this item is currently out of stock and is on back order status. We do not yet have a time frame for when the product will be back in stock”

How could HD offer a product and not even have it in stock. Same goes for EGO, they direct you to the HD site...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

This is a brand new product that has not yet launched. Once it is released you’ll be able to buy it.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

It was supposed to have launched today - Maybe Home Depot has a bad link
Photo of Ryan

Ryan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You can order from the Home Depot link now. Mine is arriving on/by Sept. 18. Camping trip is the first weekend of October. This will be sweet!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thanks Ryan, I just checked on my end and the link also worked for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it, will report back soon!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I can’t wait either!!! I hope they make it into Canada soon!

FYI, if you want one of these I’d order right away. I’d bet these will sell out quick and then you’ll be waiting for re-stocking. ;-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

All over it Blue ... :-)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Come on EGO, let our Canadian neighbors in on the action :)
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

Thank you guys just ordered mine, I get it September 19th. Can’t wait!!! It pays to be persistent...
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

It will be worth the wait ;)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Patiently waiting at my front door for the delivery man to arrive with mine.  Also order pizza so I do not have to get up to eat.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I could loan you mine so that you have power while you wait :)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

That would be ideal - the left over pizza from yesterday could use some warming up.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

• 1,484 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Can someone help me understand something. I have a little USB chargers that holds 16750 mah. Converted to Ah that would be 16.75 ah, right? That's question 1 and I think fairly simple. So these huge 5ah batteries only hold 1/3 as much? that's question 2. So is the major advantage just that it can power 110v devices? If we're talking about SOLELY using it over USB are those portable chargers maybe a better form/function? I would consider buying one just for the 110v function but just curious about the usb functionality.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ah is not energy capacity, which is Ah x voltage. So a higher voltage battery of the same Ah has more capacity.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

I knew something had to be different, thanks for that. So help me with my math since I'm not an electrical engineer. The ego 5ah battery would be 5ahx56v = 280 (label unknown) vs the little usb charger is 16.75ah x 5v = 83.75 (label still unknown). So running the EGO would have 3.3x the capacity, plus i have 3 of those batteries so 10x the capacity without a recharge. Is that about right? Do we know what the available amperage is out of those USB ports? I am waiting for my luminoodle from kickstarter and they require a 2.4a draw - would be amazing to power them with this.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I believe the USB ports are 4.2A total.

Your math is right, but for your power pack I believe they only look at the nominal voltage of the batteries which is 3.6v. So your battery would be 3.6 x 16.75 = 60.3 Watt-hours (Wh).
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Regardless of what they are - I ordered one - I think its going to be awesome. Thanks for the assist. I see it actually even says 61.9wh as the capacity on the back - I just missed it the first time. 4.5x the capacity per battery is fairly awesome.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, can’t wait to get my hands on it!!!
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

Is there a way we can @mention Amber to have her confirm the USB output?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,322 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not sure if this is the info you are looking for...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That’s it, straight out the manual!
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 5,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Note that they say 4.2A total....that may be 2.1A each, or 2.4A for one and 1.8A for the other, or 4A and 0.2A.....so at least one port should be able to hit 2.1A, but there is a possibility that neither of them will hit the full 2.4A needed by the luminoodle. (Or perhaps the Luminoodle will work with any power amount, but works "best" at 2.4A...I'd be very surprised if the Nexus wasn't able to run a LED light rope for quite a while...)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Don't forget about the relationship of volts and amps.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 2,140 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Just wanted everyone to know that Home Depot has a sale on the power inverter.  They are discounting $25 off when using the following promo code: egonexus25off  You must order before 9/23/18.  I just ordered one.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

I was able to call HD to modify my order from yesterday to include the $25 off. It wasn't very straight forward and initially they said I couldn't do it but after about 10 minutes of hold time they said they were able to do it. YMMV
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 28,754 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good to know, I will do the same - thanks!
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 3,310 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Just read this is a square wave inverter, which pretty much rules it out for sensitive electronic devices, which need a pure sine wave to perform optimally, right? sigh. And here I was ready to order one for each of my batteries to take in the field to augment our research equipment run times. Still, a lamp will be nice in the apocalypse.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Lame. Just build your own. It's not that hard. Get a 60v inverter. You can pull 7 amps per cell bank safely so 21 for a 7.5, 14 for a 5ah, 7 for a 2.5ah battery.

Running batteries in parallel is a TERRIBLE idea without some sort of barrier rectifier or what ego uses in their snow blower.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Can you point me to a source for a 60v inverter?  Most solar energy inverters max out at 48 volts.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I though most electronics can handle square waves?  Is it to abrupt? 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My understanding is most consumer electronics can. I am not an expert on the physics involved, but some sensitive equipment cannot operate on square wave. As far as I know, medical equipment is generally not recommended for use with square wave inverters.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Summetj. Go to

eBay

Search 60v inverter

Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Square wave is junk. Modified sine wave is better but pure sine is what you want.
If I knew it was square wave, I might have thought twice. But probably not
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I take it that square wave is digital...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Yep. On off basically with no transition nor wave at all.

Can someone confirm this ?

Maybe it's modified sine wave? That would be better
Photo of summetj

summetj

Mine is scheduled to arrive on the 20th of September, I'll check it on my scope when it does and report back.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Awesome. Thanks.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Yep, it's definitely a square wave. Not even a modified square wave.
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

Thanks for the info. Now the question here is, would this damage sensitive equipment like computers and newer model TV’s etc???

Kind of makes me wonder if the buzzing sound coming from the equipment that some of the guys have heard will damage the equipment...
Photo of summetj

summetj

I could only hear a very faint "hissing" noise from mine, which is probably the MOSFETs/IGBT's inside switching at 60 Hz (or rather, coils very very slightly vibrating at 60 HZ as the current gets switched on/off).   So the sound is related to the switching, but the sound itself won't hurt anything.

I can't speak to how any specific piece of electronics would react to a square wave inverter. If they have good enough power filtering capacitors the exact shape of the waveform on their input shouldn't matter too much.  The signal is definitely more (electrically) nosy than a sine wave, so I'd expect to see slightly degraded TV/Radio reception, 60 Hz audio hums in AM/FM radios, etc....
Photo of PICKLEBOY

PICKLEBOY

Despite it being a square wave it should still be good to use on most consumer electronics. Even a router/modem would be ok to use it on right?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 29,552 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Looks like a pretty clean waveform to me. I've seen some, in my working days, where the leading edge at the top and bottom of each waveform had so many noise spikes you almost couldn't make out where the edge actually is. 
Photo of summetj

summetj

Sure, it's a nice square wave....but it's no sine wave ;>
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Would one expect a sine wave for $100?  I really don't know the answer.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Considering it runs on our batteries probably not. But I don't think it would have cost much more to make. All I know is I'm using this bad @$$ thing tonight to spot light my yard so I can dig with my non powered shovel
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,178 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Burying a body?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

Lmao. No. Yard work. And it's dark out. Look outside bud
Photo of summetj

summetj

My understanding is that to get a sine wave you need to switch your MOSFETs/IGBTs much faster (to approximate a sine wave well enough that a capacitor can smooth things out to actually be a sine wave) than to bang out a square wave. This requires a more expensive microcontroller, more expensive power switching components (MOSFETS/IBGT's) and perhaps some extra gate drive circuitry to drive them. So yes, it would add to the parts cost.

For example, this 150 watt (12 volt source) pure sine inverter costs $150...
https://amzn.to/2Nv0TlG

(I also found a 300 watt pure sine wave inverter for $40 when searching...but the reviews all said it didn't work as advertised...)

(Edited)
Photo of summetj

summetj

I got the email with that coupon code as well....but unfortunately when I go to the home depot website, they only offer "express delivery" (which isn't available in my area), not the regular "ship to home" option, so I can't even order it.   Sigh....
Photo of PICKLEBOY

PICKLEBOY

Same here :(
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 65,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The Home Depot team is actively working to resolve this. Our apologies for any inconvenience! If you would like to order right away, please call them directly at 800-430-3376 .
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 840 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I tried ordering online awhile ago. There's not even a button to 'add to cart'.  Says none within 100 miles of my zip code (S. Florida). Hmm?
Photo of Amber F.

• 65,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We are delighted to announce that the Escape is now available for purchase again.
Photo of S Reynolds

S Reynolds

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
confirmed- put my order in!
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

I just tried ordering it via phone and HD says they don’t even have it in stock and they don’t know when they will get them in. So then what’s the purpose of offering a coupon code if they don’t even have the product in stock...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,302 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is sometimes called a pre-order.

HD website is currently in need of update.  Their website was similar to the current status (not available or available thru express ship only and express ship not available anywhere) when the product was first released, but then was updated and taking orders.  Now it is back to its not available status.

I am sure it will be updated later today or tomorrow to take order once again to be shipped 9/15 or 9/20ish.

Happens all the time - just requires a little patience and persistence.
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

To those of you who placed the order online with HD before the coupon code, you can call HD and they can adjust the price to reflect the coupon code. Woohoo!!!
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 2,140 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I ordered my inverter today and the delivery date is 19th-21st of September.  Maybe I got the last one.
Photo of Amber F.

• 65,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We are delighted to announce that the Escape is now available for purchase again.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

• 1,364 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Can confirm this is now back in stock, just ordered mine and used the $25.00 off code. This is the perfect thing to have to anyone who lives in Florida or the East Coast where we are in the midst of hurricane season. Can potentially come in very handy, $75 well spent!
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 840 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yep, it's there on HD's website now. Ordered mine.

Thanks.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

This would be very handy on the East coast, considering the monster heading this way
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Anyone get their EGO Nexus yet?
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

• 1,364 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mine is supposed to arrive on the 19th
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

I get it today!!!
Photo of Jose Gomez

Jose Gomez

Hello all, so far my inverter is working great. I’m going on 3 hours with a 7. 5 AH battery pulling in 2 LED flood lamps of 60 watts each at 4800 lumens each. The inverter is not humming as another user stated.

The key here is to use low wattage consumption.

This is great for camping and living in Miami this is fantastic for emergency purposes as long as you use LED bulbs.

I will update tomorrow on how long the battery will last...

PS. Forgot to mention that I also turned on a third lamp at 60 watts for about 30 minuets for a total of 180 watts and the inverter did not shut off.

After three hours and thirty minuets the red light on the battery turned on. Ten minuets later the battery shut down. So in total the inverter ran for three hours and fourty minuets pulling 120 watts of 9600 lumens.

So far I love this inverter, wish EGO would’ve waited a little longer and made an inverter with more watts.
(Edited)
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I bet bigger models are coming - cool comment too :)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 3,308 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I know it was just a typo, but I love the image of measuring time in "minuets."
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 28,750 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update, the setup looks great Jose!  I should be getting mine this week, and cannot wait to test it out.  That said; this is the 1st Gen of the inverter - so I am certain there will be newer models in the near future.  Looking back at EGO blowers for example, they started with the 480 CFM, then came out with 530 CFM, 575 CFM, 580 CFM, and 600 CFM models.  I will post some pictures of my "mad" experiments on the inverter soon ... :-)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 29,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mine was delivered today! But...we aren't going to be home until Monday. It's a sad day in EGO land.