EGO Electric Riding Zero-Turn Mower

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have about all of EGO's electric products with the exception of the snow blower. I am wondering if and when EGO might develop an electric Zero-Turn riding mower. They are currently available and on the market by several different manufacturers, and I am in the market as the rest of the EGO cordless products have spoiled me. This spring I'd like to sell off my gas powered zero-turn and replace it with an electric one. EGO ... Are you listening?
Photo of Jim VanZant

Jim VanZant

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Lucky???

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'll probably be in the market come 2018/19. We're building a house and I'm probably going to end up with an acre of grass to cut.

An electric ZT would be awesome!
Photo of Jim VanZant

Jim VanZant

Nivce!
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Greenworks Commercial will beat Ego to the zero turn mower, but unless you want to wait until late 2018 get the Ryobi one.
Photo of Gryphon Greens

Gryphon Greens

• 70 Points
Mean Green already has several models available in both consumer and commercial.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
EGO is listening, and you are the third or later person to suggest it, and I am one of them, and I have mentioned that Greenworks is designing a 32inch ZT for their commercial lineup. EGO doesn't have them planned for the immediate future, but when the time comes, they'll come out with one.  

I want an anti-rollover bar in it so I can go fast, plus it makes it look better. I'd budget 4 to 5 grand for it.  Maybe have it use up to eight 7.5Ah batteries and have it come with four rapid chargers or more.  Have it be able to run off of a minimum number of batteries so it doesn't draw too much current from individual cells.
Photo of Jim VanZant

Jim VanZant

Your idea sounds very reasonable! I just looked at a Cub Cadet ZT-Electric and the reviews aren't that great.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it works on Ego battery packs I'd suggest having the mower itself act as a charger so you just plug the mower in and all the packs charge right in the mower.

A more likely scenario would be Ego using a large permanently mounted battery. It would be much cheaper per kWh, and would allow them to actively cool it similar to what Tesla and GM do with the Model S and Volt.
Photo of Jim VanZant

Jim VanZant

Agreed
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The problem with plugging it in to the wall would be charge time. I would rather it come with a bunch of 7.5s becuase I could use the batteries in other tools as well and four rapid chargers can have them all charged in two hours.  Four rapid chargers can charge the batteries and use a maximum of 2200W combined... I suppose the rider could act as a charger without tripping a 2400W circuit breaker as long as there isn't anything else on the same circuit. I'd actually like that better than four separate chargers, instead have four integrated rapid chargers or have it charge selectively four batteries at a time, but I want the batteries to be separate packs compatible with other tools, or at the very least have in integrated battery capable of charging other EGO batteries quickly.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just use the 220V charging station you'd probably already own for your EV! :-)
Photo of Mike

Mike

The problem is that using multiple small batteries will kill the life very fast and be underpowered, instead they will use a big permanent battery, And Greenworks will release their zero turns this 2018
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is not true. What do you think lithium batteries are? They are a bunch of smaller cells grouped together. Add enough of them and you have what Tesla calls a car. Adding a barrier rectifier between the packs only has a 0.3v drop over the diode.
At 10 amps this is 3 watts. 6 at 20 amps.

So we get it Mike. Green works is making a zero turn mower.

Green machine uses lithium batteries that are huge. And multiple batteries per machine.
Photo of Gryphon Greens

Gryphon Greens

• 70 Points
I've just priced the smaller of the two (48" stand up) and it's $20k and won't be available until fall 2018 compared to the equal Mean Green at $18k with solar kit for a trailer. And Greenworks say they will have consumer models late 2019 possibly in the $5-7k range. If Ego were smart they would jump in quick and undercut everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee Mohney

Lee Mohney

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled You guys should make a riding lawn mowerthat takes 4 10 ah batteries.
Photo of Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Do you guy have ridding lawn mower.
Photo of Marcus Gilliam

Marcus Gilliam

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What's the chance Ego produces a riding mower?.

I understand it would cost a fair amount to develop and carry a hefty retail price tag but the 20 inch cut requires about 2 hours of my time every week - and that's only if I don't water the grass. I would really like to have a 40 inch cut zero turn motor to make my life a lot easier. I tried a gas engine Toro mower and it was terrible.. I forgot how loud they are and how bad they smell.

Any chance a nice zero turn electric mower is quietly being developed?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

2 hours.... lucky... I also want a 40+" mower. Make it modular and expandable Please please. I would pay thousands for it.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Send me a few grand. I'll make something modular for you
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ok
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It can't be some backwoods, duct taped, welded with a car battery piece of junk either.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I use that duct tape only sold on the tv infomercial.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What's wrong with "backwoods" lawn mower - like the picture below ....

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, that looks like something out of a horror film.

"Watch yer toes!" :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

But she mulches real pretty ..... :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

David, I believe that's pronounced "purdy". :-D
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My neighbor would probably use that.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Once again, you are right Blue ... see, I can't spell.
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I recently purchased the Cub Cadet ZT-Electric zero turn rider, and it's fantastic. A lot better than I had expected. It's a 42 inch, and about $800.00 more than the gas equivalent , but well worth it. Very simple to operate and has plenty of power, speed, and a long-lasting charge. 
Photo of Marcus Gilliam

Marcus Gilliam

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I almost bought the Cub Cadet but decided to wait for more reviews before making a buying decision. A few weeks ago I saw a Ryobi electric riding mower for about 1/2 the price of the Cub Cadet. Again, I'll wait for reviews before buying but the Ryobi product looks promising.
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

Unfortunately, its not a zero turn mower, which I wanted. Not really half the price but significantly less expensive. I paid $3800.00 for the CC. Ryobi sells for $2500.00. Hopefully its better than other cordless tools they make. I've had poor experiences with battery life on other Ryobi tools.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Even at $3,800 is way too much for me - luckily, my yard is too small for a riding lawn mower.  As for Ryobi, I keep hearing about the battery life and the lack of power on their tools.  I have nothing negative about their tools, but I am so "darn happy" with EGO that I don't see a good reason to switch over ... :-)
Photo of Dudedigital

Dudedigital

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'd also like to see them develop a riding lawn mower. I'd also like to see them speed up development time. Seems a lot of other players are leading the way. I love Ego and I want them to create more things I can use at a faster pace. No reason why they can't up their game.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I agree they could do even more but I am also impressed that they continue to innovate with new products. I wonder if Ego will beat John Deere to bringing a lithium powered residential zero turn ride-on mower to the market. Mean Green already makes commercial versions.
I now understand why Ego came out with their 20" Steel, Brushless mower...they are trying to keep up with the Greenworks Commercial line. http://greenworkscommercial.com/available-on-siteone/ The Site One folks reach out to me last week to try out their products. That should be interesting. Mind you, not an easy switch even if the product is better (ie: mulching ability) when I have so much invested in Ego and rightly so, they brought the best to the market first. Funny thing is that I started out with the 20" dual blade Greenworks in our first year (which mulched great btw) but it wasn't built to stand up to our heavy workload; so when Ego came to the market it was a big improvement with version 1 and then even better with version 2. Now they have version 3 but I'm not ready to invest in the kit version because I don't need more batteries at this time.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I just want a large walk behind. No need for a rider. I'm dying here ego. DYING. I'm seriously thinking I might have to get a gas mower. This over an acre mowing is getting tiring. But I don't want gas and haven't finished my gang mowers......... ugh. Maybe a fleet of robot mowers
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

But Jacob, that is the "price" you have to pay to keep your "studly" body in shape for the summer .... :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And acre is a lot for a 20/21 inch mower. That isn't a battle I would win.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Got an idea for my gang mower.... threw out ground contouring for now as thats a big pain in the........

Erectorset (uni strut) for men.

This is just a mock up. But i tell ya, it pushes easy with no ground drive going on. I have the motors for it also.

1500 watt is what it will use. Hoping i can push them by my thighs.

Kind if excited because its 52" and zero turn (manual)

Ill make it pretty some day but in who knows how long, ill have it done.... with this, ill be able to mow 2x per week.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The clamps are just holding the fronts up. I will use something not like that. Hard to show whats going on but the 2 rears are connected to the cross bar with pivot pins. The fronts are adjustable height so i can have whatever height i want, micro adjusted of course. I will of course use the mower handle off of my parts mower i got on ebay.

The front 2 tires are caster wheels...
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 1,084 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This idea "tickled" me a bit since I read it... I have nearly one acre, so I am fed up with a 22in walk behind. So either I go to the ride mower, or I find a wider walk behind. But first, for this idea of snapping mowers together, for the cut to be clean, you could go with only 2 mower and have them overlap (one a bit in front of the other) because if they are straight side by side, there would be a ridge uncut in-between. This means you will need to build a new handle to have something maneuverable.... But then the handle would be quite wide, so not sure the maneuverability would be good anyway...

So wouldn't be easier to just buy a new deck (single part) maybe from the 30in Toro ($155 by the way...), or 33in Cub Cadet of something like that (I couldn't find any walk behind mower bigger than 33in...) and just mount the Ego motor, controls, handle, etc on it? It would requires a bit of re-engineering as they seem to use 2 blades instead of one and have a system of belts to drive from a single motor shaft. I don't know if this mower would be balanced or if it would be too much work for the EGO motor and battery, but seems a much simpler and elegant way to go (and probably about the same price at the end...) than duck taping 2-3 mowers together isn't it?   
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

PROGRESS.

soon the motors get mounted
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ive got like 300.00 total into this with motors and the reels, got them on ebay so good pricing.

Its not set up to articulate with the ground yet, but im preparing for it so i can do it over the winter or in my newly found free time if this works
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, are you using the Ego motors, or something else?  I like the Fiskars as the reels, the seem to work well.  I also thought about using the 17" McLane push reel mower as the base for an Electric Reel mower.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

60v baldor motors. Now that the multi tool is out, I might use the multi tool cuz 150 for motor and controller. Pretty good deal for 2000 watts. But id have to drive them all with drive shafts. And chains or pulleys.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you considered converting a snow blower?  I gave it a little thought and I think it would be almost as simple as unbolting the blower paddles, and bolting it up to a McLane chassis.  Not sure how much power that motor has.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Its near impossible to find 56 to 60v motors.... i have seen a few. But not smaller ones. I estimate i will only need roughly 1/4 hp per reel. Based on human horsepower of 0.56. I can push 2 but its hard. 3 is brutal. So with that overkill should be 1/4 hp per reel and 1/2 hp for self propel. I will use the motor from my parts mower to drive the rear axle. The paws will engage the shaft to propel. Its how these fiskars mowers work, odd way the paws engage... they are actually dowel pins... its brilliant.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I have considered it due to the dual batteries. But thats alot of money for a motor and controller boards.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The snowblower has 2000 watts
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I did mock up these reels with a snowblower, but u would need 21" reels or have it stick WAAAAY out front. Plus the snowblowers dinky wheels would have to become rollers. Cuz 2 sets of wheels without steering makes it go straight. So i abandoned that idea right away. Now if i could get a used one, then i would power a set of drive shafts instead of individual motors. Still have to figure out self propel as its zero turn also... so electrically and hydraulically are possible. Electric might be easier... i need electric wheelchair motors and controllers. But those are 36 or 48v.. any 60v motors are really hard to find. Might have to underpower 72v or 90v as 90vdc is common.

The motors i have, are not reversible. They are shunt motors so that sucks bad. But they were all i could find.

Some guy is selling 20" mower motors for 120 on ebay right now and a controller for 85.... garbage deal.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I like this setup more.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Now you are talking my language Jacob ... this is my definition of a "riding lawn mower" !!!!!!!  She is a thing of beauty .... :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

LOL, Jacob in his November Lawn Ninja Turtle costume.  Less flattering than your blade sharpening get-up, but hey, because cold in North! :-)
Photo of Travis Thompson

Travis Thompson

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just want a winky face emoji reply or something from ego.  I need a new rider, but would wait a year or two to buy an Ego brand one if they are coming out with one soon.  Just want to know one is in development.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm in the same boat, Travis! We're building a house and I'm going to have an acre or so of grass to cut in two years.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I believe Ego's response was nothing in the works on this front, but I can not find anything in print to support my memory.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
maybe ;-) maybe not ;-(
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

Unfortunately, you guys are giving way too much credit to EGO in developing, introducing, and servicing new product. I've been waiting for a very long time for them to have in stock the highly touted high lift mower blade (supposed to be available in March '17) and the new edger/ trimmer kit with battery. It seems indefinite when they will be made available, and you're expecting them to produce and service something much more advanced such as a riding mower!  Ive been a big fan of EGO products as well, but now I'm greatly disappointed in them.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Those products were available as promised.  They subsequently sold out very quickly.  The retailers did not order enough product.  They should be back in stock by the end of the month.

I believe Cantrell still has some edger kits in stock - which points to HD/BORG as the problem in the supply chain rather than Ego.
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

I was told Cantrell does not have it any longer, and besides that the cost of shipping is way too high for me to consider. Blade is available in Great Britain , but with cost of shipping it comes to around $60.00. Don't want it that bad! As far as the edger kits go, there couldn't have been much initial stock available with Home Depot. It seems as soon it was introduced, they were out.

If there are other retailers that carry the EGO line please let it readily be known. it seems that, according to your website, HD is the only retail outlet for EGO products. 
Thanks for your reply.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

store locator  https://egopowerplus.com/apps/store-locator

as of a week ago edger attachment was sold out.  Edger kit was still available.
You may want to check again. Unless you have talked to Cantrell in the past week.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will there be a commercial grade zero point turn style mower in the future?.

This is a R&D question for the designers
Photo of Mike

Mike

While you are all waiting for an ego zero turn that will probably never (Or a very long time 2020-later) come out, I am waiting for the Greenworks commercial zero turn mower that will come out in 2018 Fall
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 1,084 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This greenwrorks commercial zero turn seems to be in the Mean Green category, not home owner category. Most probably in the $10k range. Not affordable for most home owners (...with average income...). The amount of lithium batteries needed for an electric riding mower currently kills the economics to go for a lithium strategy... That's why Ryobi went with lead acid, and most probably this is what other companies would do until the price of lithium cells is drastically lower per Wh of capacity. 

If EGO was to use their current packs strategy for a riding mower, you would probably need to have 8 to10 x 7.5Ah pack for a riding mower. Even if you would say EGO can let the pack go for $100-$120 each when purchased with a kit, you would still have $1,000 cost on top of the mower itself... Let's not think what it would mean if one pack goes bad after warranty is over and you have to purchase one or more pack at stand alone price... It would become a pricey toy...   
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You are 100% correct. I believe the best method for something like this is by far running lead acid deep cycle batteries, but even better, allowing attaching lithium packs to assist the lead acid.

Lead acid is easy to charge with solar so this is why im converting my home made mower to lead acid, but assisting with ego batteries. I can solar charge the lead acid batteries while having the ego batteries there to act as a buffer for the lead acids. Adding a barrier diode between the lithium batteries and the ego batteries. I think I'll be at 84" wide next year on my mower.

For reference, look at my avatar picture.

Riding mowers are not a good idea for battery powered equipment, there is no need for all the extra weight and pulling our fat butts around. Walk behind huge area mowers are the key.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,904 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled In My Dreams.

In my dreams I am driving an EGO 46" Zero-Turn, Adjustable-Speed, Adjustable-Height, Battery-Powered Lawn Mower for at least an hour. It can pick up, mulch, or throw lawn clippings efficiently, while cutting a clean, smooth, manicured tall-fescue lawn.
Do you have a battery, now or under development, that could power my dream? 
If so, how soon might we see my dream come true?
Or, am I just dreaming?
In any case, I will keep dreaming.  Dreams are what make things happen.
To the future!
Photo of Daniel Downing

Daniel Downing

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a 12 year old Craftsman 42 in riding mower. My front yards main area is 108ft X 85ft. And I have 2 more smaller areas as well. A 21 or 22 inch self Propelled mower just won't do, would take too long. My old mower is starting to give me grief and I do have the Ego 530CFM blower and 15in weed wacker. I'd love to get the Ego mower but I just can't do it because of the small 21in or 22in cut area. If Ego made a self Propelled mower like their models now but with a 2 cutting blades for anything over 30 inches then I'd be interested. I don't really need a riding mower, just something to cut wider than 22 inches. COME ONE EGO! YOU CAN DO IT.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

For real right.....
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

For “reel”? :-P
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Four reel ?  I thought it was 5 :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ha!!...

Back to 3 for now. Can't get the wings to work just yet.

https://youtu.be/qL_AAy_hiQg

It's 60 decibles at 4' away.

Way more power than I thought it would have. I mowed a little bit yesterday with it. But I am not quite finished
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Jacob, this is insane!  I love it. 
Photo of Dalmightyone

Dalmightyone

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
When is the electric riding lawn mower coming? Starting to look at competition. Cub has one, ryobi. Where is ego on this?
Photo of Travis Thompson

Travis Thompson

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same Situation, Don't need a zero turn, just have 3/4 of an acre I am push mowing with my ego.  I am currently leaning towards the Cub Cadet RZT S Zero....but probably won't purchase until next year....still holding out hope for EGO....Ego...Wink Once for in the pipeline or Wink twice for not happening...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I highly doubt you will see one ever. They seem to be making lots of string trimmers and blowers though.

But who knows maybe a huge thing is being developed.

I wish we could find out.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Here it is. Remote controlled 46" mower. It's a normal deck now. The reels were driving me reely nuts

https://youtu.be/kFqouZvOQAE

So. Ya. It cost me 900 to build it. Pretty darn good price.

I have five 5ah and two 4ah batteries to run it. The problem is that it eats batteries. Due to the gator blades :).

The deck is off if a John Deere f525 tractor.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Awesome machine Jacob. Were you following it around strictly for filming or does it have limited RC range ?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

2 mile range I guess. 2.4 ghz
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Nice , so you can sit on the deck and mow. Very cool.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

What's cooler is when I get the camera system
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Jacob, you get my mad max engineering award of the year. You are awesome. But I guess straight lines are a bit too much to ask.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I have a theory on how to fix that. Possibly just a pistol grip rc transmitter will make it easier to drive. Either that or laser guidance :) when gps gets more accurate then I'll use that.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That thing is AWESOME!!! If it ever gets self-aware it’s going to eat your neighbor’s Deere! Lol

All you need now is some traction! Maybe more batteries? :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Noooooo to traction. That would cause such a huge spike in the regenative braking circuit, plus the motors would be destroyed. I got those tires. Because they DO slip. It climbs up every hilll I have and the front ditch is 40 degrees. Walks right up it, but can't climb over it. Oh well I have to use my ego 20" for spots.

More batteries yes. It's run time is about 20 minutes and those batteries do get warm. So I'm going to run it off of 6 batteries, and get rid of the gator blades as they are causing alot of the energy to be shot out the side chute.
Next step is a study on power usage. There must be some big inefficiencies that I am overlooking. I should be getting about 30 to 40 mins.

It weighs probably 250 lbs. So weight is low. so it must be the acceleration deceleration, or the quick change in direction. So captuing the energy from braking into capacitors is what I will try next. I have 4 cap boards that have 4 870 uf caps on each one from the snow blower. I'll try using those I think. A battery would get damaged I think if I allowed regeneration to charge them. It could spike to 120 amps for moments. I wish I knew things..........

I also think I'm going to pump air through the batteries while they run. I think my controller can. Read the battery T prong so monitoring battery temp is also big on my list.

If only I could interface with the D prong. Then I could make it mimic an ego tool
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I really wish I had your fabrication skills.  Awesome Jacob. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The only thing fabricated was the sprocketed hubs. Otherwise everything is just unistrut or tractor category 2 top links.

A few tapped holes and a few mounted bearings. The rest is all bolt up.

Total cost to build was 800 plus the deck. I wish it didn't take forever to get to the final design but that's the process normally. The end piece is quite simple.

Of course that cost doesn't include batteries. So four 5ah batteries minimum needed.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The Samsung 25R is good for 65A for 1 second:

https://batterybro.com/products/samsu...

If you’re using 4 x 5Ah batteries that’s 8P, or 520 A for 1 second. Step that up to 6 x 5Ah (12P) and you’d be good for 780 A for 1 second. Keep the temperatures in check and you should be good to go! ;-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I'm pulling a Max of 150 amps total if I was to gun it.. But only for a moment. So your saying these cells can handle over 4x that. Sweet. Maybe a gang of decks lol.

I think I need to use capacitors to take the edge off of the batteries. Is this a good idea or not?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Super caps are in use in some hybrid cars to handle the peaks from regen braking. I don’t know much about the circuits, just that they can take some pretty insane peaks. With a big enough battery bank they may not serve a purpose?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The regenerative breaking in my controller is actually locking up the motors because I have diodes on the batteries. Perhaps they will work in this application
Photo of GreenGrass

GreenGrass

• 70 Points
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Not the first. These guys have been around for a while making these.
http://www.meangreenproducts.com

This Troy built seems like a crap deal..
A 30" mower.... what is the point... That's tiny.
Mean green has it right with their monster mowers which are lithium ion powered
This mower has a 35 ah battery in it probably. Just enough to pull our fat butts around and mow a little I guess. This is why I say riders are a terrible idea. Why does it need to bring you with it. Walk behind or remote controlled wide area mower is the way to go.

Just my thoughts......
Photo of GreenGrass

GreenGrass

• 70 Points
Cost difference? (looks like $10k+) this one is for the people that said they would be happy with the Ryobi (~1 - 2 acre range), but wanted Lithium ion powered version. Ok so 48V Nominal, 1500W = ~30Ah. on a 15-20 deg hill it shouldn't take more than 800-900W with a transmission to move our "Fat butts", 300-400W on flat ground. So there should be ~1000W to drive the deck.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Oh ya. Those mean green are expensive for sure

The Troy built one does not have the run time. No way. Not when the ryobi is claiming 75 ah I believe.

Assuming rider and driver are about 1000#
Mowing speed is 5 mph

It would take much more power to move it and a rider than 400 watts. Try like 1500 easy during acceleration, and that's a slow acceleration. Upwards of 6000 watts occur jusy to make the motors start for a moment of time.
5-600 to maintain speed. Upills easily 2500 or more.

I can't find a weight for the unit.

Up and down hills would give this rider I would estimate 20 minutes if run time.
1000 watts on the deck in full load.
2000 watts average to run it. Flat terrain less power required.
Losses in the system.
Probably 20 minute run time on 15 deg slopes.

Hp can be calculated using speed and torque. Torque is calculated from Mass and angle and gravity.

In their description it says "terrain type" - "flat and obstacles"

It's also not a summation of the watts. You can pull 3000 watts for half an hour. Or 6000 watts for 15 minutes.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.