What does the battery flashing red mean?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

About a month ago I mentioned an issue with a 7.5aH Ego Battery. When I depress button on battery, I get a flashing red. However, when I measure the voltage , I am getting 56v from it. Is this battery still safe to use? Thanks!William
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Greg

Greg

• 70 Points
What happens when you charge it?
I'm not an EGO battery pack expert, but in general, just because a battery reads a certain voltage doesn't​ mean it has the energy to power a device.
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

Hi Greg,

When I put it on the rapid charger, I get a solid 4 bars of green.

Thanks,

William
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What happens when you run it under normal load, do you get normal or reduced run time?
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

Ahh. It's shot. I put it in my mower and was getting all kinds of red and the mower wouldn't turn over. I guess that answers that. An expensive ouch.
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

Technically, it still is under 3 yr warranty and I still have my original sales receipt which I forwarded. Unfortunately, I was told they won't do anything because I did not purchase it from an "authorized" vendor. Expensive ouch.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,408 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I thought you bought it through Home Depot or Amazon, sorry to hear about that.
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

Looking back, now I wish. I'm a member of Zoro.com and saw 20% or something like that and saw they do EGO batteries. Thought, why not. They are expensive enough and a bit of a discount would be nice.

If anyone else is reading this, learn from my mistake.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Zoro and Grainger are both authorized retailers now, though I do not believe they were added until around 2 years ago. I have a hard time imagining that Zoro was a rogue seller of Ego before being added as an authorized retailer though.

20% off at Zoro is a pretty good deal for most Ego equipment that they sell. I came very close to buying a 5.0Ah battery for $165 during their 25% off flash sale earlier this week. But my wife said if I did then my kids would have to take back the birthday presents they had gotten me, and I didn't want that.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is silly. That battery better be covered.
Say it ain't so EGO.
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

I originally opened up a case. Even sent a copy of my reciept from Zoro. Didn't hear anything for a couple of days. So I called. And the Rep said not covered because Zoro not authorized. Maybe I called and she was having a bad day . Perhaps I will call again. I would like to think that EGO stands behind their product.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Based on the above posts, I think that CSR made a mistake.  I'm sure Jennifer or Amber will be along to clarify whether Zoro is or is not an authorized re-seller.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm not lawyer, but their warranty also does not state anything about authorized re-sellers, and I believe it would have to be listed on the outside of the box or else it's false advertisement.

I think they have no legal / logical grounds to deny your claim.

https://egopowerplus.com/pages/warranty-policy
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm not lawyer, but their warranty also does not state anything about authorized re-sellers, and I believe it would have to be listed on the outside of the box or else it's false advertisement.

I think they have no legal / logical grounds to deny your claim.

https://egopowerplus.com/pages/warranty-policy
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Your battery has a 3 Year Limited Warranty, so contact Customer Service and they will send you a replacement battery.  Keep in mind they are closed today and Sunday, but will be opened tomorrow.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
According to this thread they are, or at least were, an authorized dealer. Pity if that changed.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As of last year Ego listed all the authorized retailers rather than the location-based dealer search shown now, which seems to make online authorized retailers impossible to find. Here is the list from last year:

Home Depot; Home Depot Canada; Amazon.com; Grainger; RC Enterprises; Mosess, Inc.; Despain Repair Shop; McAlpin Small Engine; Kuhn Turf Equipment; Steffeny Mower Sales & Service; Craig’s Power Equipment; Van’s Implement; Riggan Repair; Roger’s Yamaha; Rankin Sales & Service; OK Auto Parts; Boyd & Sons, Inc.; Marx Repair LLC; Nick’s Farm Store; Pankonin’s Implement; Pike Run Services, LLC; E-Z Sales & Engineering; Merz Farm Equipment; Dean’s Repair, Bobcat of Lima, Inc.; Como Mower Service & Sales, LLC.; Red Barn Trailer Sales, Inc.; Heil Bros Lawn & Garden Equip.; C & C Distributors; David’s Trailer & Hitch; C W Mower; JMF LTD.; S & S Auto Parts; Star City Motor Sports; JR's Village Repair, Midwest Mower Pro.; APC Liquidator; Mower Medic LLC

The local search still shows Grainger locations now, so as a subsidiary of Grainger Zoro should still be authorized. Even if a retailer were removed from the authorized list, any purchases made from them during the time they were authorized would have to be covered for the full warranty period.
Photo of wrz0170

wrz0170

Thanks you! Seeing this and reading through the other threads, I am now hopeful that this may be resolved. I will contacting CS in the coming week to see if I make any headway.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,408 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are many great and professional Customer Service representatives, but I have always had great success with Jorge.  Does not hurt to ask for him by name, as he is "extremely" helpful and knowledgeable - good luck!!!!!!
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I just inserted my battery into the charger and the red light is flashing, "defec....

I just inserted my battery into the charger and the red light is flashing, "defective " Changed chargers and same thing. Do I return my blower, charger and battery to Home Depot or just the battery?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.