EGO 21" 2017 Self propelled mower sounds gruff in self propelled mode and doesn't seem to go as fast when battery is fully charged.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
The last two times I've mowed when engaging the self propelled green handle instead of a soft whine like it did the first 10 months it now seems more of a deep gruff sound. I also swear that it doesn't seem to go quite as fast on high speed like it did before.

It's not clogged. The mower sounds normal until the self propelled is engaged. The only thing I've changed was I began storing the mower with the handles down (compact style) versus before always letting it sit in the garage with handles fully extended.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
Photo of Jason Andrew Carnahan-Tweto

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,518 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like the gear in the wheel or drive gear is wearing out. You can pop off the wheels and inspect it. I have a spare drive system here so I can help you troubleshoot. Just try to pinpoint the source of the noise. Is it in the gearbox underneath? Or in the wheels?
It's definitely coming from the gearbox underneath.  I don't think I have the right tools needed to open up the gearbox.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,478 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wouldn't open it anyways. It's probably a bad gear.

Hopefully you can get through the summer like that. Then in the non mowing season have it repaired
Do you think it is something covered by warranty or no?

Thanks so much for your help!
...and I live in Florida, not sure there is a non mowing season...haha
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,478 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jason
Absolutely covered by warranty