EGO 15 in. Replacement Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Won't the new EGO15 in. Replacement Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head work on the ST1500-S model???  Will it only work on the ST1500-F model?  Only the F model is mentioned in the description on the Home Depot website.  What's the difference between the S and F model anyway?
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

• 1,204 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
According to Jennifer, it may fit but ego does not support it if yours goes bad due to the head being installed on an older 15" unit.. basically do at own risk.

Hope this helps..
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

I'm game!  What's life without a little risk...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I would. Don't know what it is about that new rapid load head, but I do love it.
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

I need an EGO intervention.  I have amassed quite the EGO tool collection over the past year.  Just ordered the new power head and edger attachment.  I need a bigger garage!!!
Photo of Doctor Rocket

Doctor Rocket

• 60 Points
The AH1500 does fit quite nicely onto a ST1500 using the deep nut that comes with the AH1500 with good, but not complete thread engagement. Ideally if you mill off about 0.125" off the skirt (ie. not threaded end) you will get full thread engagement.
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Just read the posts by Typical Engineer about using the new Rapid Reload Head on the ST1500-S model, and looked at his alignment picture.  I'm gonna give it a try!!  Thanks for that post Typicla Engineer and the picture!
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I went back and couldn't find where I posted this picture, so here it is again.  It's the AH1500 head on a Gen 1 15" trimmer (split/non-split, doesn't matter).  As noted by Ego, the alignment between the head and the cut off blade may NOT be optimal, thus is not recommended.

Since Ego's official position is that this isn't recommended, I would think anyone that bought the non-RR head, and wants that feature, and is within the 90-day Home Depot return window, should return the non-RR head unit, and get the RR head setup.  That's too bad, because I sure looks like Ego Engineering did intend for this to be a "bolt-on" upgrade...

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yeah. This is unfortunate that it's not a bolt on upgrade, and fully supported.
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Well, got the RR head via UPS today and ran out to the garage to take the old head off my EGO trimmer to try it, inspired by Typical Engineer, picture and manual in hand.  An hour later, sweaty and exhausted because I can't loosen the stinking nut on the old head!!!!!  I guess this girl needs to be the Incredible Hulk or something.  Sooo frustrated... And yes, lefty loosey.  But stuck like chuck! uuuggghhh....

(a)Typical Engineer

Do you have an impact driver?  If so, you can use a hex to 3/8" drive adapter, and I think it's a 13mm socket.  And the RR head is a 14mm socket, which I think need to be a deep one.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-3-8-in-Socket-Adapter-DW2542/100495100
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Well, I didn't have an impact driver, but I intercepted the hubby when he got home from work to give it a try.  I felt a bit better when he had trouble with it too :-)  But he brought out the breaker bar and once he got some leverage on it, he got it loose.  
You know, it reminds me of when I have a flat on the road, and I'm plenty capable of changing the tire EXCEPT you can't ever get the stinking lug nuts off!!  
Thanks for the info on the socket for the RR head.  Getting this thing on is my project for this morning...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,858 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Let us know how it works out!
Photo of I Dexter

I Dexter

Well, I won't embarrass myself or the forum by posting a pic of my happy dance, but I WILL post pics of my successful installation of the RR trimmer head on my ST1500S!  So cool, and works like a champ!  My hubby laughs and says it takes so little to thrill me :-)  
Now all I need is an EGO leaf blower....  which one??  lightweight or big gun??  hmmm..... such a dilemma...
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,722 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well done, thanks for sharing your success!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,858 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome! I wish MY wife would get excited about tools... :-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The Rapid Reload head is now available for sale on homedepot.com:  https://egopowerplus.com/products/15-in-rapid-reload-replacement-string-trimmer-head

Note: this is compatible with models ST1500F and ST1500SF only.

(a)Typical Engineer

Jennifer, can you ask your Engineering Team why the AH1400 is only compatible with the "F" trimmers, but the AH1300 (standard bump head) is backwards compatible with all the 15" trimmers.  If the only difference is in the cut off blade, then it should either work for both, or not work for both.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Per our engineers, our new trimmer was designed with all heads in mind, but unfortunately, our original 15" could not be updated for the new head. Essentially, we can make the old head work on the new trimmer because we programmed the tool with this in mind. However, the new head can't work on the old trimmer because the tool was not designed with the new head in mind, as we didn't know about it yet.

(a)Typical Engineer

Amber, thank you for following up with Ego engineering, and while I don't necessarily agree with what they stated, I do understand the point being made.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,978 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Based on what happens to the 12" string trimmer if you take the guard off to use longer string (goes into limp mode), I would assume maybe the polar moment of the heavier RR head might be more than the original trimmer was designed to "see" on startup?

Just guessing, but it would make sense.

(a)Typical Engineer

Time for a technical comparison between the RR and non-RR heads, maybe this weekend. I'm thinking basics like dimensions and weights, not sure how I'm going to measure polar moments... =)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,978 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Looking forward to it!
Photo of Daniel Leong

Daniel Leong

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Trimmer ST1500-s with new rapid reloader head.

I want to replace my trimmer (ST-1500-s) standard head with the new rapid reloader (AH-1500) head but you have a note stating it is compatible with two other trimmers but not mine. Can I still use it? And why is it not compatible with mine? It still a 15" trimmer Ego and I bought it last year, fairly new model trimmer. What is the problem? Would it still work?