EGO 15 in. Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head problems

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hello. Just got a 56 volt  15" string trimmer with the EGO 15 in. Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head. ST1500F. I live in the east and just really got around to using it in a full manner yesterday. I have used gas powered Echo trimmers for years. So this is all new to me. Anyways, I am having issues with this EGO 15 in. Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head. One side of the string on the head goes missing after a few minutes of use. At first I thought the end just got sucked into the head on one side but upon opening the unit up I can see it has broken off completely. It appears that when u reel the string in during installation, one side of the string is getting restricted from releasing and so the one side actually breaks off. To load the string is quite easy and I am sure I am doing it right. Has anyone also had this issue? It is happening over and over. I can usually weed wack for about 10 minutes and then it breaks off on one side again. I also find that to release more string requires several bumps. 

I do have one question. When u load the string, you align the tabs that state "load" and place the string through the unit and begin winding. (making sure u go in the right direction). Once completed, do u just leave the tabs aligned to "load" or do u dial the head abit more?

Also, this head is quite tall in size. Much more so then the Echo and I find I can not angle the unit like I use to to edge side walks since the head is so tall in size compared to the Echo. Bad design IMHO.

I am thinking of going to the Manual head. Does anyone know if the manual head is less tall in size?  Thanks Bruce
Photo of Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't have much run time on the RR head (maybe a couple hours), so these are just based on suppositions.  Is it possible the string is getting sucked back in, rather than breaking off?  On both the standard head, as well as a modified Echo 400 Speed Feed head, a couple times I waited too long to advance the string, and it got sucked back in, which meant opening, unloading and then reloading.  Next time it does that, can you inspect the end of the string; if it's a break it should look sharp and clean, but if it  got sucked back in, it would be frayed and dirty?

(a)Typical Engineer

The load marks are only there to align the inside holes so that you can start winding the string.  After you start to wind the string and there after, you can ignore the marks until the next time you're empty, and need to reload.

(a)Typical Engineer

The "manual head", I"m guessing you mean the Gen 1 trimmer head (AH1300).  Based on what Ego has stated about the RR head being not backward compatible with the older (e.g. non-"F" marked trimmers), by that logic the old head design would not likely be recommended either.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-String-Trimmer-Head-AH1300/206042005
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Here is a pic of the old (gen 1) and new (Rapid Reload) side by side (the bases are at the same height).

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great picture!

In my opinion, which does not include any experience with the RR head, that picture shows that the original head design may make it easier to trim closer to the ground IF the operator is holding the trimmer head on a downward angle. This being simply because the "button" design of the original is much smaller in diameter.

Once again, it's just a guess, and it's likely that only using the two in that situation would allow you to tell the difference?
Photo of Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank You TE. I will check this weekend when that blasted string goes back in but I believe it is breaking and not being sucked in. It states on EGO's website that the older head is compatible with the F series. I ordered one to try also. Only $20. I think this fast loading head is abit buggy. It just feels like it is not built as well and sturdy as the Echo heads I am used to which were flawless. Thanks again.

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/accessories/products/15-string-trimmer-bump-head-assembly

(a)Typical Engineer

If you find it is still breaking, look for sharp edges which could be cutting the line; especially the aluminum entry points (which actually look very well rounded over).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bruce, another thing to consider would be the geometry of the Ego trimmer vs the trimmers you used before. If the relationship of the lower handle to the trimmer head is different, as well as the specific angle of the trimmer head relative to the shaft, it could all add up to an ergonomic situation that just feels different or awkward than what you're used to.

Have you tried adjusting the bottom handle on the Ego to see if that helps? Perhaps if the handle is lower and as a result the trimmer head is closer to you, it would sit naturally at a slightly steeper angle and reach down a little easier? Just a thought, if you haven't tried it already.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Bruce, if you’re still having difficulties, please call us!We are here to help. 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30am – 8:00pm EST (Monday – Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday)
Photo of Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman

Just a followup to my issues of the line breaking all the time. I figured it out. The unit comes from the factory with .095” Dual Twist Line. I found that the dual twist was causing the line to lock up inside the head over and over. I replaced it with Echo .095 line (non dual twist) and the head feeds and performs flawlessly now. FYI. Thanks.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,356 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Fantastic!!!!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Terrific! Thanks so much for letting us know :-) 
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The Black Diamond .095 Echo line broke several times last week... Also much louder then the Ego line...
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Bruce what line by Echo did you get exactly? I'm having the same issue of the line breaking, but it also gets sucked back into the head at times as well.
Photo of Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman

.095 smooth side Echo line. It has worked so much better since I started using it.
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Bruce
Photo of Mike Veazey

Mike Veazey

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have had this exact probelem with my trimmer. I am using the Husqvarna Titanium Force line as recommended by someone on here. So frustrating to deal with removing the head to check the line every 5-10 mins & finding out that one side has broken off . Guess I will buy some of the Echo .095 non twisted line to see if that will work.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,152 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm a new owner of this trimmer and so far so good on line advance but I too feel the bump button sticks out too far, at least compared to my previous few gas trimmers. I have areas that I like to trim from the concrete side and the bump head is constantly hitting the concrete. I have tried to change to trimming from the lawn side but like OP'er said you need to angle the trimmer quite a bit and your back starts to feel the pain (maybe the strap could help here? -or- take out my conduit bender and make an adjustment in the shaft.). On the majority of my trimming that is not next to a hard surface I love this trimmer - plenty of power, easy to use, quiet, and easy to turn on/off.

(a)Typical Engineer

If you have the ST1500F or ST1500-SF, you can change the RR head (AH1500) back to the bump head (AH1300).  The downgrade is endorsed by Ego (they just don't endorse the upgrade from AH1300 to AH1500).
Photo of Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman

After using the Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head for some time now I feel this head is fairly flawed. It is too thick in size, it still breaks off its string inside on one side from time to time but much less now with using smooth sided Echo string. Even if u run out of feed, it still requires you to open up the head to take the small amount of line left in the chamber. Putting back the cover is cumbersome. The tabs do not lock in on the first push so u spend several minutes getting the cover reengaged. Winding the string is cumbersome also. This is a Gen 1 head IMHO and I hope they come out with a an updated Rapid Reload String Trimmer Head soon. I love the trimmer. but they need new improved heads and fast.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. Needs a redo. It's for problems. I would like to see EGO make the design able to use aftermarket attachments. There are plenty available.

(a)Typical Engineer

if the ST1500 trimmer cannot compensate for the 4 additional ounces between the RR AH1500 head and the bump AH1300 head, it seems very unlikely that it will work with heavier attachments (like a brush cutter blade).

Ego's solution to multiple blade/attachment types seems to be with the PH1400/STA1500 attachment system.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.