Edging with a string trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm thinking of purchasing this model at Home Depot, but I have not seen any demo's or read any reviews where people have also used this model to edge with. Thoughts ?
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,372 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Which one are you considering buying? There are a couple of different edgers and also string trimmers can be used as edgers. 
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

Model # ST1521S 56-Volt Lith-ion Cordless Electric 15 in. Powerload String Trimmer with Carbon Fiber Shaft Kit.   I have a Husqavarna now and I use it for edging as well.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have that model, and do all my edging with it. Even with the modified grip (sort of holding it upside down) it’s comfortable to use that way for about 30 mins.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The stand alone edger is basically the same as the multi-tool one.  Expect to make quick work of your edging.

A few things.  The blade will run down fast.  Don't leave HD without a spare blade or two!  Also, make sure you keep the tool that comes with it to change the blade.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,430 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

Model # ST1521S 56-Volt Lith-ion Cordless Electric 15 in. Powerload String Trimmer with Carbon Fiber Shaft Kit.   I have a Husqavarna now and I use it for edging as well.
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

i don't want one with the edger attachement, I prefer to use the string trimmer as my edger.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,862 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
When I edged with mine...before I got the real edger... It looked like I had done it with an axe.
Not pretty
Photo of Richard Wallis

Richard Wallis

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
like bloomz, the 15 inch EGO ST1521S trimmer CANNOT be turned sideways and used as an edger, the cut is too wide and uneven, it also kicks up a lot of debris and not all is stopped by the guard
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It certainly can be turned sideways and used as an edger. Well, I should say it can be *held* sideways. I use mine as an edger all the time.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Edging with a sting trimmer is a skill that gets better with practice. I use mine with an upside down grip, and angle it a bit away from the edge I’m doing with so if it does pull it pulls away from the edge, rather that into my yard. Ask me how I learned to do it that way! :)

FWIW, the string trimmer makes a great edger if your property isn’t big enough to make buying an edger worth the cost, or if you want to wait a while before you buy the edger.

Just be aware that it’s a skill and it may not look great the first time. Or the first 4 times, even.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Linderman

Jim Linderman

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
 I have the string trimmer and use it as an edger - it takes some patience to figure which angle etc is best .. now that I've got it down I edge my small yards in literally minutes .. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,372 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here are some reviews on the Ego site.   
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers/products/power-15-56v-lithium-ion-powerlo...

And at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lith-ion-Cordless-Electric-15-in-Powerload-String-Trimmer-wi...

I should also add that I use my original Ego 15" string trimmer as an edger and it does a great job. Can't imagine this one wouldn't be as good or better.
(Edited)
Photo of STEPHEN PICKETT

STEPHEN PICKETT

• 70 Points
I'd be cautious about the edger.  I used mine for about 60 seconds and hit some solid debris.  It broke something inside the edger "transmission".  Customer support told me to take a hike and buy a new edger.  Not a good value when it's that easily broken and the company doesn't stand behind it.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 6,174 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So what was this solid debris that you hit...and was it within 1/4" of the surface?

Also, did you get a name of the customer service agent that "told you to take a hike"?
(Edited)
Photo of STEPHEN PICKETT

STEPHEN PICKETT

• 70 Points
It was like large gravel from a parking lot adjacent to ours.  Kid's throw rocks up into the yard:-(
It was probably a quarter to a half inch.  I thought I'd hit the sidewalk until I went back to check afterward and found that it was just a stone that had gotten wedged next to the walkway.  I ended up digging it out with a screwdriver. 
I didn't pay attention to her name.  I'm sure that Ego has the contact on file as the support ticket that I had open got closed out as resolved shortly after the call.  I should also say that she was polite.  She just left no doubt that it was not going to be covered and that I'd have to purchase a new one as there was nothing that could be repaired.
Photo of dk cromwell

dk cromwell

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Best string trimmer for edging.

I've read how it's best to use the dedicated EGO edger instead of one of the string trimmers, but when I got the Powerhead edger, I really had a hard time using it, and would just rather just use a string trimmer to do both the trimming and edging.  I've noticed some other trimmer models rotate the head to do both, like the Black & Decker LST136W, but I'd really like to stay in the EGO system since I already have a mower and a blower.  If I'm going to edge with an EGO trimmer, which model would do the best with edging?  I'd like to go with the Powerload system, but it looks bulkier and heavier than the others?  Any ideas?
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,862 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, as mentioned above I used my string trimmer before and it looked like I used an axe.  It was too hard to control, jumped around on me, and balanced poorly upside down.
I'm SO glad I bought the powerhead with the trimmer and the edger - I think both tools are superior.  It is not bulkier or heavier in my experience, actually just the opposite.
FWIW I do have an extra 2.5 A battery I prefer to use with it VS my 7.5 one from my mower - but I had that before with the other trimmer also.
OOPS looks like you already tried it, so never mind.....
(Edited)