Edging ?

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • In Progress
I'm thinking of purchasing this model at Home Depot, but I have not seen any demo's or read any reviews where people have also used this model to edge with. Thoughts ?
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 24,254 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Which one are you considering buying? There are a couple of different edgers and also string trimmers can be used as edgers. 
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

Model # ST1521S 56-Volt Lith-ion Cordless Electric 15 in. Powerload String Trimmer with Carbon Fiber Shaft Kit.   I have a Husqavarna now and I use it for edging as well.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 46,618 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The stand alone edger is basically the same as the multi-tool one.  Expect to make quick work of your edging.

A few things.  The blade will run down fast.  Don't leave HD without a spare blade or two!  Also, make sure you keep the tool that comes with it to change the blade.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 59,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

Model # ST1521S 56-Volt Lith-ion Cordless Electric 15 in. Powerload String Trimmer with Carbon Fiber Shaft Kit.   I have a Husqavarna now and I use it for edging as well.
Photo of Joel Mixson

Joel Mixson

i don't want one with the edger attachement, I prefer to use the string trimmer as my edger.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 24,254 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here are some reviews on the Ego site.   
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers/products/power-15-56v-lithium-ion-powerlo...

And at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lith-ion-Cordless-Electric-15-in-Powerload-String-Trimmer-wi...

I should also add that I use my original Ego 15" string trimmer as an edger and it does a great job. Can't imagine this one wouldn't be as good or better.
(Edited)
Photo of STEPHEN PICKETT

STEPHEN PICKETT

• 70 Points
I'd be cautious about the edger.  I used mine for about 60 seconds and hit some solid debris.  It broke something inside the edger "transmission".  Customer support told me to take a hike and buy a new edger.  Not a good value when it's that easily broken and the company doesn't stand behind it.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
So what was this solid debris that you hit...and was it within 1/4" of the surface?

Also, did you get a name of the customer service agent that "told you to take a hike"?
(Edited)
Photo of STEPHEN PICKETT

STEPHEN PICKETT

• 70 Points
It was like large gravel from a parking lot adjacent to ours.  Kid's throw rocks up into the yard:-(
It was probably a quarter to a half inch.  I thought I'd hit the sidewalk until I went back to check afterward and found that it was just a stone that had gotten wedged next to the walkway.  I ended up digging it out with a screwdriver. 
I didn't pay attention to her name.  I'm sure that Ego has the contact on file as the support ticket that I had open got closed out as resolved shortly after the call.  I should also say that she was polite.  She just left no doubt that it was not going to be covered and that I'd have to purchase a new one as there was nothing that could be repaired.