Edger questions

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I am looking at the two edgers, Power+ Rear Motor Edger ED0804 and the Power+ 8" Edger ME0801. 

1) What are the differences between the two, and 
2) The ED0804 is not offered without a battery.  Is it available bare, and, if so, for how much? In that I already have a 5.0 battery (with my blower) I don't need another battery.
Photo of Gene Waugh

Gene Waugh

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Gene, your best option is to get the Powerhead + Edger attachment for $129:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Vo...

Don’t wait though... this is one of those pricing errors that can vanish at any time. ;-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As far as the differences between the two, the ED0804 is a stand-alone tool, meaning it's just an edger and that's it. Because it's fairly new to Ego's lineup it isn't available yet as a bare tool. It undoubtedly will be eventually.

The ME0801 is part of Ego's multi-tool system. It's the system's power head sold with the edger attachment. If you look closely at the photos, there is an attachment point about halfway down the shaft where the edger attachment can be removed.

The multi-tool system has several different attachments that can be purchased separately and used with the power head: A weed trimmer, pole saw, and hedge trimmer, with the possibility of additional attachments coming out in the future.

I have it and it's a great system. You have multiple tools with just one motor (2,000 watts).

You can see the various components and read more about it here: https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-head

As Blue said, the power head and edger attachment bare tool are a steal at $129.
(Edited)
Photo of MattW

MattW

• 1,476 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with the others. The ME0801 is definitely the right one to get at $129.  I got mine at that price when it was launched months ago and they still haven't updated it. I believe they both have the same motor and transmission but am not 100% certain. Haven't regretted the multi-tool option one bit. As long as you remember to start the blade spinning before you put it in contact with the soil it will rip through any soil I have encountered.  The blade does wear fairly rapidly but then again it is being ground against concrete. The ability to throw on additional attachments makes it even more of a win.  I think the standalone edger is aimed more at pros who get much higher usage, and the occasional homeowner who is afraid the connection to the power head will fail. It won't. Ego uses a nice spline system that should be extremely durable.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,500 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You guys finally pushed me over the edge.  I ordered the $129 multihead edger.  Been thinking about it since it came out, but I already have an edger.  Looking forward to seeing a big quality difference when I use the Ego v my current cheap HD store brand model.  I will pass on my current edger to my daughter and son-in-law who are purchasing their first home.