edger blade stops

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
My edger attachment constantly stops while edging whenever it encounters some thicker grass or soil. I have to lift the edger so it could resume spinning and gain some speed so I can put it back to the ground. It just seems the edger is so weak and it just stops all the time..and I edge my lawn every week. The wheel is set to the bottom so the blade is as far as it could be from the ground. I am using the strongest battery which comes with the mower. 

If I manually rotate the flange, I could hold the blade still with my fingers while keep rotating the flange. Is this normal? 
Photo of Derek

Derek

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Something's not right. My edger is so powerful it'll practically drag me down the sidewalk. The blade does have to be up in the air and have no resistance when t starts, then you lower it into the ground. But once it's in the ground I've never experienced it stopping. Although I'm sure it would if it hit concrete.

I'm not sure about the flange rotating. I'll check it out later and will respond back.
Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,522 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Derek,
 I agree with Ken, something is not right. Double check that the blade is seated correctly and fully
tightened. And also that nothing is wound around, like fishing line, etc.

Bob
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Official Response
I just checked mine. If by flange you mean the silver cap that holds the blade on, no, mine cannot be rotated independently of the blade.

I suspect the nut that holds your blade on is loose.
Photo of Derek

Derek

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Guys, thanks so much! After seeing your posts I removed the pin and tightened the nut and now the blade cannot rotate independently of the center cap. Who would have thought the nut was loose out of the box! Also you have to twist to straighten and remove the pin that safe guards the nut in order to be able to tighten the nut. That pin looks like a one time use part. I just hope the nut doesn’t become loose again.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Keep us up to date.

I need to check my manual on whether the cotter pin is one-time-use. I know they’re cheap. I haven’t needed to replace my blade yet, though.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
In my experience, cotter pins are reusable as long as they’re not broken. I’ve had the blade off my edger and reused the cotter pin.
Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,522 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Definitely not good if it was loose from the factory!

Regarding the nut coming loose again, it shouldn't, as long as the blade is 
seated correctly and you torque the nut very firmly.

The Stihl gas edger I've used for years didn't even employ a cotter pin,
but it is a good safety precaution.

Bob