Edger and power head shaft don't line up

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Just got the powerhead + edger.  Once I got everything hooked up, I noticed the edger is tilted 15-30 degrees if i have the powerhead level.  To get edger 90 degrees to the ground, i would have to tilt powerhead with thumb going downward.  I find it a little awkward.  Anybody else have this issue?  Can the edger be adjusted?  Or was this by design?
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,092 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Did you tighten the locking knob? If so please send a picture
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Yeah, everything is locked down.  The arrow is pointing correctly the the middle of the shaft when you can see a fuse line.  The edger is clearly off when power head level.  If by design, i'll just leave it be, if not, I can try to unscrew the bolts on the edger and make the adjustment.  Sorry, don't feel going into rain to get to shed to get a pic.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Wait... Bolts on the edger.. fuse line? Did you get the dedicated edger version or the power head with edger attachment?
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Powerhead + edger.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Here are some pics.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I removed the 3 bolts holding the edger to the pole.  I can rotate the edger now but 1 of the bolt has a pre drilled hole for it to go into so that's that.  I can live with it. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Mine does the same thing.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Yours look tilted left and mine tilted right. Assuming the power head is level.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well I guess it must not matter. I would bet that the blade is 90 degrees to the shaft. It's probably the aluminum housing that has large variances.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I used it in the rain cause I couldn't wait to try it out.  Made a big old mess with muddy dirt, but was fun.  Made quick work of the lawn on mostly low trigger.  Edger literally dragged me.  The little variances don't matter.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well that's about 2.6 hp in your hands there.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Not sure how you came up with the calculations, but the power is very satisfying. Just worried about the health of my concrete with so much sparking.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It's a 2000 watt motor.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Same power as the snow blower. However I believe it has a short duty cycle at full power. Just a feeling because that is alot of amp draw.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

That's alot of power.  Wonder if the powerhead string trimmer is stronger than the standalone.  I have the carbon fiber trimmer.  Really like the weight and balance of the standalone.  The powerhead with the edger is heavy so I would assume the same would apply to the trimmer attachment.  Would sacrifice power for balance and weight.  Would still buy the attachment if I catch a sale.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

That's alot of power.  Wonder if the powerhead string trimmer is stronger than the standalone.  I have the carbon fiber trimmer.  Really like the weight and balance of the standalone.  The powerhead with the edger is heavy so I would assume the same would apply to the trimmer attachment.  Would sacrifice power for balance and weight.  Would still buy the attachment if I catch a sale.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It should be straight. A degree or two no big deal, but 30 degrees! That’s a bit much. If it bugs you, exchange it. If you mess with removing screws your warranty will be void. ;-)
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I would but none of the Home Depots have the head and edger in stock. I got 90 days so I’m not worried. But the tilt is causing me to edge with a tilt as well, so I’m disappointed with that a little. Can easily adjust to it. But why should I?
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

The problem is not the edger but the shaft connector.

It’s rotated too much to the right. There’s a black clip on the underside that’s goes inside a hole where it’s bolted that restricts turning but has just a tiny amount of give. I loosen the bolt and turn it as far left as possible and now it looks straighter. I tightened the bolt but now the the shaft connecter can be turned left and right like 1 cm. Not sure if it was like that from factory. Tried tightening bolt again but ended up stripping the bolt. Are you guys able to grab onto the shaft connector and see if you can turn it just a little?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No. I can turn the trigger handle a little but not the coupling from the shaft. That's on there tight.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Thanks for the confirmation. I think I’ll just order another set and return this one. Not worth all this headache.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Headache...
First world problems bud.

I dont understand why a small tilt is giving you a headache.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Lol. You got a point. Wonder if this tilt will ruin my experience with the other attachments, they surely will have the same problem. I’ll continue to use it for a couple of weeks then re evaluate.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Went ahead and edged my neighbor's lawn and the edger did a fantastic job.  I guess I adjusted and didn't find the tilt to be a problem.  Will keep the edger as is.   

The manual says only go 1/8 inch into the soil.  I have the wheel at the lowest setting and I'm still going pretty deep into the soil.  Any suggestions other than me bending all the way down and dropping my arms.  Quite uncomfortable. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Good choice
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,978 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I don’t think 1/8” is realistic. I would think you’d want to be at least 1” deep for a nice looking edge.