Edge trimmer climbs out of ground making it very difficult to use

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I just got the edge trimmer yesterday and am having quite a bit of trouble holding down the working end as it cuts.  It's natural tendency is to climb out of the ground, requiring me to put pressure on the shaft so far down that it is super awkward--I can't get it to stop climbing out if I hold it by the handle mounted about 4" from the shaft connection.  Is there a trick to using this?  I used to use a gas powered edger which didn't ride of out of the ground but was very hard to advance.  The EGO edger advances easier but wants to climb out of the groove while doing so.

BTW, this is my 6th EGO tool and a 7th will show up later today.  :)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Are you using a 2.5 AH battery, or something heavier at the other end? (Is this a stand alone edger, or the powerhead w/ edger attachment? I have the powerhead + edger attachment, and haven't had any issues with it pulling up...but the powerhead shaft and attachments are a bit heavier than Ego's stand alone tools.)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

using the 2.0.    I have 2.0, 2.5,and 7.5 batteries.   the one with the powerhead--not the stand alone model.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well, I don't have any magic tips for you. Mine seems to work well and I haven't had any issues with it jumping up, but then again, I'm using it in Florida which is mostly sand and light dirt, no clay or heavy roots.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah.  I've got adobe!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
perhaps slow your pace ?  If you are trying to move faster than it is digging, that will force it to climb out.  No problems with midwest dirt - doesn't go low enough to get to clay.

I will say the first time using it was a much tougher go as there was a lot of material to cut/dig thru.  Had to do quite a bit of back and forth to get the edge nicely cut. Now it is a much easier job when I do it a few times a year and it is strictly straight ahead.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,736 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, if you've never edged with a bladed edger before the first time is always the toughest because you're usually cutting through soil and roots. Maintenance edging is much easier.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,302 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Ken, It's more work to establish the edge. But maintaining it will be easy.  I edge and string trim every other mow or roughly once a week.  I have the Power head with edger and string trimmer, Both work great!
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Doesn't matter if I go slow or not.  It vigorously wants to climb.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have the standalone edger tool. I adjusted the wheel to have it at just the right height for the depth of cut I wanted. Seems to work pretty well without much pulling or climbing. It's an interesting thing I'm discovering with EGO tools, however. And that is some of them work better when pulled backward. My mower, the cultivator head, and the edger all work best when being pulled instead of going forward. I know the cultivator manual mentions good performance when pulling it but don't remember seeing it in the edger manual. Who knows...
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 5,722 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What speed setting are you running it on? Have you edged this area before?

Power head should be on #2 setting. Use your 7.5 for the first cut of a new edge. If it is a new edge best method for me is to advance a little and then pull back. If the overgrowth extends to far over the concrete you may have to manually remove the cut every foot or so after cutting it. If you have a lot of rocks, wood or really hard ground it will be slow and will cause the blade to climb.

I have done thousands and thousands of feet of edging with both a string trimmer and edge r and the edge r wins hands down for a crisp, nice cut so stick with it and you will be pleased.

Jeremy
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

No, I haven't edged before except with the EGO string trimmer which of course doesn't dig out hardly any dirt.  After using the edge trimmer on an uncut edge, I had so much trouble not hitting concrete that I ended up using the string trimmer first, to establish where the concrete is located.  that made things easier, but of course doesn't prevent the edge trimmer from climbing.  Once I have used the edge trimmer once, subsequent usage probably won't result in so much climbing, which will be great for me as it is really difficult for me to keep it from climbing on areas not edged before.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I had better luck today edging my other lawn which was drier than the one I posted about in the OP.