Edge molding for snow blower

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Under Consideration
I'm not one to usually spend more on a machine that is purposely built for it's use from the beginning, but it seems we need to reinforce the fronts of our snow blowers to help with the bangs and dings from the current storms. My idea is a simple edge guard similar to the ones used on car door edges. I'm going to get a pack from autozone and let you guys know how it works, maybe ego will be willing to create a kit to add to the snow blower later on. Wish me luck!
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,098 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@Spark Lawns - that's a great idea, and looks good - but I guarantee you the first time you drag it back across something that catches it (whether it's turf or something else), that trim will slide right off into the snow.  Still, for $4, it's an inexpensive mod!
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,106 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm still probably going to try it. Some brands I think user adhesive, was a pita to remove some off my car door. I did find cheap skids on ebay though I might order.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

You'd be surprised... it's really REALLY stuck on there...almost as if the inside had some kind of glue. The only thing i could really see happening is enough scraping just wearing it out along the bottom which i could easily peel off, cut and move down again. but at least hitting it against lets say a curb would allow it to bump off instead of scratch and dent the higher ends.... can someone please do a rain dance or something so I can get some snow here in NY?
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

My advice if yours is already beat up, get some black touch up paint like for cars, touch up the scratches and then put on one of these protector things. If rust is going to start somewhere my best bet would be on the edges. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

DJDDAY, too much, I'd rather try these. http://m.ebay.com/itm/321348047316

Spark Lawns we've got 8 inches maybe more coming this weekend, will be my 2nd use.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

TWSS!
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Id love to try the snow shoes but im sketchy about drilling any holes into the body of the blower while i'm still in the 90 day return window. Watch me install them, the blower crap out and HD refuse to return it for damaging the body... i'd be very VERY upset
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Spark Lawns - do you have a product link or # (or brand) of what automotive edging you used in those photos?  I'll bite for $4.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

I honestly went into autozone and asked for the "door edge plastic protector thingys" and the guy led me to the aisle. Again there were two types, the U-shaped style and ones with 3m tape that only go on the outside, Id deff recommend the u shaped ones as they fit snug and contours the curves and edges nicely.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Looking at some online they actually do have adhesive on the inside, might be worth to cut them short and only cover the areas prone to scratching instead of all around to the top like i did....oops....
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

If anyone from Ego is listening... I got a few more helpful and cheap ideas that I might throw on here if you guys could throw me a spare 7.5 battery or two ; )
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

You don't happen to have the package laying around somewhere, do you?  The reps at my local AutoZone aren't quite that helpful...  :(
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Photo of Deleted

Deleted

@djdday only cause' you helped me out back when when i bought those 5.0 batteries from you lol
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Hah!  You rock man - thanks.  Going to pick this edging up tomorrow and give it a try.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

The only door guard that was v shaped at the auto parts store was clear (i really wanted black) but It fit snug as a bug and completely runs down to the edge. For $4 it's deff worth a try...and if it wears down just cut away and slide it down until i have to eventually replace the whole thing. I'll let you know the real results when i get my first big snow
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hey, what more could you want for $4?  Looks good!
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

I could of probably gotten fancy and got some multicolor led lights like the cars use and pimp'd out the snow blower.... I can see that being the next fad of snow blower modification lol
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,926 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I just want something to prolong the life of the housing and the serrated bars to help chop the frozen stuff ha
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

I tell you that briggs and straton single stage thrower with snow shredder looks like the ego's evil twin cousin.... too bad its not electric or it'd be on its way to my garage right now
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I put edging on mine last night after reading these posts, I used the type with the adhesive in the V to keep it on.  I used my machine today and just went out to check how it performed (I had forgot it was there).  It is still intact and it has scrapes on the bottom so it did provide protection. I just put it along the bottom edge or the metal casing. 
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Awesome! Spark! Innovative Lawn Care LLC is actually doing something positive for once! lol thanks for the feedback, can we get some pictures if possible?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,926 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Spark Lawns like I said would def help I think in hard packed stuff. Now its just getting the idea into EGOs head!
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

I got two weeks off from work starting this week...I might have to take this idea to my machining buddies and maybe make a sell-able kit for the ego community...
Photo of Erik

Erik

Nice, oreilly might have black. I found 3m ones on anazon. Now I'm just hoping someone at EGO sees the idea about serated shredder bars for the paddle shaft.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Yea i wanted to avoid the 3m ones that stick on since there would be more chance of them falling off and most likely not reusable once peeled off. The v shaped ones seem to be the way to go, again ill deff post pictures after the next storm... crossing my fingers
Photo of Tcp

Tcp

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Lol I did the same exact thing yesterday... but be aware these do have some glue deep down in the groove.  So when you do pull it off some adhesive will be left behind.  My only fear with this is if it does come off can it get tangled in the paddle.... 
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Meh only one way to find out! lmao
Photo of Jim P

Jim P

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Snow season is coming and I just ordered a sample of the Trim-Lok in 1/16" x 9/16" size with dual tongues. I hope it works as well as you've described. Went down to the Depot last week and saw the new EGO's, but there is still no provision for this problem, which appears to be so easily solved ! 
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Looks like a great modification. Keep us posted on how that works for you Spark. We have another person who's installing these skid shoes but obviously more expensive: http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/MTD-...
Photo of Erik

Erik

Jennifer these would be a great item to add to accessories for this blower. Maybe with a template to drill too. Any plans on accessories for this blower?

Erik, this is definitely something we're looking into for the future but don't have any plans for it quite yet.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Won't this void the warranty?

Great question Jacob. Installing these skid shoes will not void the warranty.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

[[UPDATE]]

Jennifer VandeWater - I seriously think you may need to reconsider whether or not installing those type of skid shoes will void the warranty.  The only place you can put them would be on the sides of the main intake, and the left side (when standing behind the blower) houses the serpentine belt.  It's really close to the edge, and those skid shoes are very likely too large to be placed correctly without the holes (and bolts) going right through the serpentine belt cavity... 
Photo of BurningMan

BurningMan

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Hi Jennifer,

Can you post a photo of... We have another person who's installing these skid shoes.

I would like to see just how they did this. Are you sure about the warranty not being voided? 

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@BurningMan - it most certainly will void the warranty - and likely damage your belt drive.  Look:
Photo of BurningMan

BurningMan

Hello,

Thank you.

Please look at my drawing for the location of the mounting holes.

There would be no intrusion into that part of the drive belt cover.

Photo of BurningMan

BurningMan

Please search drawing in EGO snowblower skids
Photo of Eagle Deb

Eagle Deb

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, what happened w/skid shoes installment; since it was 2 yrs ago results should be in?  A good fix or no go.  Thx
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I buy something very similar by the 50' roll from an online vendor (NOT Amazon) in Florida, IIRC.  I get them in silver and gold for my vehicles.  Leaving them outside in the heat deteriorates the plastic so I have to replace them periodically if I want them to look good.  But, hey, for the price, it's no biggie.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,528 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This stuff?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
thankfully, our vehicles don't look QUITE that pimped out, but "yes".  :)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Where'd you get a picture of my car??
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,528 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Caught you at Home Depot just before you tried to squeeze two snowblowers in the trunk. :-)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Photo of Deleted

Deleted

Molding was great success! Used for about an hour... Blade still cleaned the pavement but edges were untouched! Even the molding was barely scratched.
Photo of jonny2H

jonny2H

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too experienced some early wear-and-tear around the edges of the metal hosing. It looks a lot like pics others have posted, and only after two runs. I had scrapped up metal and powder coating around the edges, especially along the bottom. I suppose it is to be expected on a machine that gets this much abuse. Still, it is a hard pill to swallow after shelling out $600. Nonetheless, using edging on the snow blower was a great idea. If nothing else, it should help limit the damage. I ordered something similar on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL3Z6Y8/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_3_w

It was very easy to install, and looks great. I'll be out there again in a few hours to see how it holds up. I'm expecting it to work well. Thanks everyone!!

(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@jonny2H - so, it's been a week since you put this on.  Have you had an opportunity to run it and see how it handles being banged/scraped now?  How's the trim look afterwards?
Photo of jonny2H

jonny2H

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The trim is working like a charm. Like Greg said, it snaps on almost like it belongs. I have been out there a few times, and the trim has some dings and scraps in a few key places. But, the trim has an aluminum center and really holds up well. I can see the aluminum from the trim after some abuse. But, it is not rusting out like the metal on the snow blower seems to. In all, I think this is an obvious purchase with this particular snow blower, and ideally placed on before taking it out there for the first time.
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi, order a roll of 25ft.. thanks.. I hope it works out... !!
(Edited)
Photo of Greg

Greg

Ordered the roll of 25ft and it fit perfectly as it molded around the edge. It was like is snapped on it. I already have some dinks on the edge after using the blower for the first 4 times this season before the trimming piece. Should be ok now as I plow around my curbs. Thanks for the great recommendation!
Photo of Greg

Greg

I used the blower for the first time since the trimming. The trimming was perfect and looks as though it always belonged on the machine. Ego should have that standard for their machines. The trimming is totally in tact and worked nicely along my curbed edges and did not even move out of its position. thanks for this recommendation!!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,384 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I know this is an older thread but I just bought the blower for the approaching snow season and interested in protecting this exposed metal edge. I'm wondering:

• what types of edge guard are working well?
  • I have a concern that this edge guard will trap moisture and possible cause the metal to corrode. What has your experience been?
Photo of BurningMan

BurningMan

This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NL3Z6Y8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fits very nicely as if it was made for it. I used a rubber mallet to install. Start on the bottom on one side and work your way around. I haven't found any corrosion. The powder coating is very good; if you haven't damaged it already. Also when using the blower try not lifting the handle up while pushing... works best if you apply a little downward pressure on the handle while pushing so the scraper bar is not quite digging into the pavement. Works well for me. haven't had any damage so far. Hope this helps you out.

Photo of T Chung

T Chung

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
For those in Canada, Amazon.COM will ship the above trim but charge $65!! shipping.   

So I ordered from Amazon.ca "Edge Trim Black Small 0.375" U Height X 0.039" - 0.093" Grip Range (10 Feet)" for $13.99.   

It fits although I think a bit bigger trim would work better.  It is not as big as the trim above and doesn't have the aluminum core as above. I've just used on my first snowfall and it has held up so far.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,384 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Burningman that looks very nice. I need to stomach buying 25' when it looks like you only need around 4' but I probably will get some. 

I did look at several snow blowers at the big box store and all except the plastic SnoJoe just had the metal edge exposed like EGO. Some had a small bump or fold close to the edge to stiffen the edge a bit. The SnoJoe on that bottom radius has a 3" long piece of metal to act as an edge guard.