Ease of use of self-propulsion mechanism on the LM2102SP

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
I noticed from the pictures of the self-propelled mechanism on the LM2102SP that you have to grab it on the right-hand side of the handle - is it awkward, or does it cause hand or wrist pain after a while?  I've had some carpel tunnel issues in the past, and I don't want it again!
Photo of dk cromwell

dk cromwell

• 494 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,444 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely not an issue.  Lever position is perfect whether hand on top or side and minimal pressure is needed to close and maintain. 
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 63,072 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I’m with woody. Never had any issue or found the grip to be in comfortable.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,190 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yep, never had a problem. I typically use the mower with my hands on the sides of the upright, and both the bail bar and SP handle are positioned to easily hold.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 2,784 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
No issue with the right hand, wrist, or elbow (I have tennis elbow). There are times, however, when maneuvering the lawnmower I wish there was a left handle or some type of crossbar. The reality is you will most likely use self-propelled on this mower less than previous gas mowers. 
Photo of dk cromwell

dk cromwell

Thanks for the advice, everyone!  Sounds like it would be just fine.  I have a follow up question - I only have a few passes that probably need the self-propelled portion (mowing on the edge of a hill; the rest is fairly flat, although it's pretty bumby.  Do think the self-propeller mower is really necessary, or would I be just fine with the LM2101?  I takes me about 30-35 minutes to mow - I think the size of my yard is under 1/4 of an acre, but I'm not 100% sure.  
Photo of William Giordano

William Giordano

• 608 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
my property is very flat and I had the very same question.  Went for the self propel and am glad i did.  It isn't hard to push but is much nicer with SP.  Also no problem with location of SP handle.  Just need to get used to releasing the lever for turns and then re-engaging.  
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,634 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

If you're getting older like me, and hope this to be my last mower - get the self propel.

My yard is completely flat and I use it all the time.  I ain't no spring chicken.

Photo of dk cromwell

dk cromwell

Sounds like I can't miss with self-propelled version.  Thanks for tips!