EGO costs to warranty

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

I bought an E Go lawnmower almost 3 years ago and the blade was not rotating and getting stuck. I also have issues with the battery only lasting about 15 minutes. I called E Go to see where to send my lawnmower to exercise the warranty. They told me to go to the Home Depot and they would take care of it. 

I arrive to Home Depot and they tell me that I have to leave a deposit of $20 (which would be refunded if the service is covered under warranty) and then they want me to sign a paper that states that I agree to pay any repair under $100 without my notification if its not covered under the warranty. I told them I was not comfortable with this and I would like to know if I have to pay anything. 

What is troubling is that nowhere in the terms and conditions of the warranty does it state that there is an associated cost to exercise the warranty and when I called, the customer service representative stated that they have to honor Home Depot's warranty service. Which I think is fine, but state that in the terms and conditions that there could be an associated cost or cover the cost of the service fee from Home Depot.

My problem is, what if I don't have $20? IS E Go not going to honor its warranty? This is deception at its finest and E Go is complicit in attempting to hide information from the customer. I urge any customer in the market for any lawn care products to stay away from E Go.
Photo of Michael Miranda

Michael Miranda

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of dpb dpb

dpb dpb

• 454 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I also took my mower to HD paid $20.  told I would get that back because of warranty. Why take it just to give it back. This is my first dealing with HD mower died gave it to them and 2 HD people said I would get it refunded. When I picked up the mower they said they do not refund the 20. I was frustrated with EGO warranty and HD didn't try and fight it.   In the beginning I thought EGO was a good company  now I doubt if they know how to deal with a customers concerns or even care.
Photo of Kurt

Kurt

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You bought a $400+ lawnmower and don't have $20? If it's covered under warranty you get your deposit back. If it's not then you don't. Read the warranty and see if it's covered. If you don't have the $20 deposit then I would suggest prioritizing your budget and save up $20. Or you can do an odd job and earn $20 to pay for it. Maybe you could borrow $20. $20 today is two trips to Starbucks, a fast food meal for two, a pizza, or two tickets to the movies. Maybe you should forgo these things until you have the $20. Just trying to be helpful.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,738 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Kurt - Michael said "what if" because he is annoyed he has to pay for a warranty repair but the charge is not mentioned in the warranty literature.
Understandable frustration.
I don't think any one comes here for budget and financial advice.
Photo of Craig E.

Craig E.

• 1,970 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Agreed.  Unnecessary response.

Photo of Kurt

Kurt

He said, "what if I don't have $20"...I was just trying to be helpful. $20 can be hard to come by. Sorry, what do I know. I'm just an old man.
Photo of Michael Miranda

Michael Miranda

Kurt- Yes that is what I said. It was a rhetorical question. What I am referring to, is that no one should have to pay a hidden cost to get the warranty service. It is then implied by the actions that the warranty wouldn't be honored if this fee is not paid which is not in the literature in the warranty agreement. Attached is the warranty policy online that also doesn't state these additional costs.

Photo of Kurt

Kurt

I agree. It's just awful. They should provide better support for their customers.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,738 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michael and dpb - repairs are frustrating whether warrantied or not and HD service standards/quality being reported on this board certainly don't help.

Fees are becoming more and more common in the current business culture.  What you want to bring luggage with you on an airplane ?  Stinks that HD has this fee, but I hardly think it amounts to deception by Ego.  Perhaps a suggestion to Ego to update their warranty literature now that the fee has come into play when getting warranty service.
Photo of Michael Miranda

Michael Miranda

I completely agree. I am not mad at the customer service representative or the technician that works at HD. I know they didn't come up with the decision some morning and say they were going to charge people for warranty service. Its frustrating that it looks like big business always seems to want to take advantage of the consumer. On the other hand, I understand that the business has to take care of itself to prevent from being taken advantage of from the consumer.

I think updating the literature would be ideal or at least have an agreement in place that they either waive or cover the fee since it is a partnership in some sense to get this taken care of. I don't think this decision to charge for warranty service is new, but I may be wrong. Since I have bought the lawnmower back at the end of 2014 I know there has been other lawnmowers from E Go to have come out and surely a new manual has had to be reproduced. They could have easily updated that a long time ago. That's just my opinion though.
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Michael, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We agree that we should have something in our warranty policy describing this fee.  Know that this is The Home Depot's policy for repairs (not EGO's policy).  Nonetheless, we certainly don't want anyone to feel duped and we'll be working in the coming days to update our website text.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.