dual blade

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
This week I tried attaching two blades to my lawn mower.  It greatly improved the cut and the mulching for about 1⁄2 hour an then it would no longer run.  I'm guessing two blades are too heavy?  Please make a dual blade in a single unit that is light enough for the battery.   It makes a world of difference in the quality of the cut.
Photo of brockmanrm06

brockmanrm06

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Tom

Tom

• 926 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
"then it would no longer run..."

I assume you mean that the battery ran out, not that the mower is now broken?

Also, which mower do you have?   Ive been wondering about trying this on a 20" brushless mower even though I think it may not be warranty friendly
(Edited)
Photo of brockmanrm06

brockmanrm06

The mower stopped running.  Every time I tried to start it I got a blinking yellow light.  After awhile it would start and run for a couple more minutes and then stop again.  I took the second blade off and mowed for another 40 minutes with no more issues (same battery).
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,046 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, it appears your double blade set up was overloading the mower.

Best advice is to keep the blade sharp, try not to let grass get overgrown (cutting off only 1/3 the height) and cut when the grass is dry.
Photo of brockmanrm06

brockmanrm06

That's great advice if you are cutting grass in a test facility, but in the real world my grass isn't going to be dry for another 5 weeks and by then it will be 4 feet tall.  My blades, however, are brand new.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Obviously can only work in the conditions available, but optimizing the conditions will optimize your results.  That is all I am saying.  Also, I am not talking moisture content, I am talking visible surface moisture.

Brand new blades can benefit from a sharpening.  They come with a coating which does not result in the sharpest edge.
Photo of brockmanrm06

brockmanrm06

Ok, but back to the original point.  A dual blade creates more suction.  The helps with better mulching and with cutting grass instead of just pushing it over.  It would be great if Ego could create a "dual" blade as a single piece of hardware that is light enough not to overload the engine.
Photo of Michael Trethewey

Michael Trethewey

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have two blades on my Ego mower and do not have a problem.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,360 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Michael, photos please.  And how does it perform for mulching?  Which model EGO?  How much is runtime reduced?

Michael Trethewey

Mulches great, Have 21inch  self drive,do not notice any loss in run time it takes me 30 min. to mow my grass
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

And how did u accomplish getting 2 blades on the 21SP?  Blade model please and how to fasten it to motor shaft?
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,262 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am a little confused regarding what you mean by a dual blade.  Please explain!!!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 57,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bill, this is the closest thing I can find to what he *might* be talking about. People keep asking for him to provide a link and pictures, but not happening apparently.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I can only imagine that there would be issues of vibration and motor strain, not to mention an increase in noise which happens simply by using a single HL blade instead of the stock blade. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Appears to be the method under discussion.  2 ego blades attached in an X pattern.with a washer in between them. 

The extra weight likely kicks the mower into high gear.  The setup likely voids your warranty.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,262 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If anyone does this, they should obtain a longer bolt.  I think my dual battery lawn mower (two 7.5ah batteries) could handle the stress, but I wouldn't advise it.

Michael Trethewey

Checked 14mm bolt today, tight.no vibration sounds the same as with one blade,it only picks up rpm when you cut long grass,I have cut grass when wet no problem.If you are not sure don't put another blade on, I have bought a sharpening wheel that fits in a drill and a blade  balancer remember the blade does not need to be sharp as a knife a butter knife is sharp enough if the blade is too sharp just get dull.Can't say enough about this mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Glad it is working well for you Michael !