DUAL BLADE MOWER REVIEW - START SALIVATING!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 6,630 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
  • Merry Christmas!

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 2,510 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
@Kite Army

I would be interested in seeing how it compares to the higher powered 2140SP dual-slot single blade under long, thick conditions.
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

• 748 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
@Troy Hough — I find myself in the LM2142 "Peak Power" vs. LM2130 "Select Cut" quandary as well.

The 2142 Peak Power has a 1,200W Brushless motor, whereas Pro Tool Reviews lists the 2130/2130SP as coming with a 1,000W Brushless motor. They also provide a really helpful run time comparison when using the optional "Tri-Cut" gator-style blade, citing a 12-15% reduction in run time:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/ego-select-cut-lawn-mower-gen-3/50053/

Aside from the major 3rd-gen redesign of the mower and chassis on the LM2130, I found it interesting that the no-load RPM is listed as being only 2,700 RPM per the manual. That's lower than any other Ego Lawn mower to date — the second-gen 2100-series featured 2,800 RPM, the metal-decked 2020 models featured 3,000 RPM, and the 2142 "Peak Power" unit featured a range of 2,800-3,500 RPM.

In terms of a basic head-to-head specs comparison:

LM2142SP "Peak Power":
  • Motor Size — 1,200W, brushless
  • Motor Torque — 8.5 ft. lbs.
  • Motor Speed — 2,800-3,500 RPM
  • Weight (sans battery) — 52.69 lb.
LM2130SP "Select Cut":
  • Motor Size — 1,000W, brushless
  • Motor Torque — 7 ft. lbs.
  • Motor Speed — 2,700 RPM
  • Weight (sans battery) — 50.30 lb.
Pro Tools Reviews rated the 2142 a 4.5 out of five overall, and the 2130 at 4.3. I'm leaning towards the 2130-series myself, but am still curious to see more comparisons between the two head-to-head.

(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 6,092 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That would be a great comparison.  I wished they made a dual blade for the more powerful 2140SP.  I have one with two 7.5 ah batteries.  I am waiting for someone's response stating that the 2140SP couldn't handle the dual blade.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bill, from EGO. The dual blade is gen 3 so it won't fit on gen 1 or 2 (single or dual battery models).

No, the tri-cut blade will not fit on the mower since the motor shaft and assembly is built different than the G1 and G2 mowers.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

The dual blade honda is a good idea but don't forget Toro makes the number 1 selling push mower in the US
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,376 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is that because of price or some other factor?
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 2,510 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Think they just have a huge following. Mostly landscaping business folks.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 8,068 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
With good reason Kite....their personal pace system is really quick.....and I don't mean mph fast but just quick and easy overall to use. Really fantastic drive design.

I own two...one being their stow and go model for tight truck space in town clean ups and the other is the head scratching because it is so good Timemaster mower.

Really I don't think anyone is going to give the new Ego a run for it's money in the battery game.....so head to head against a Honda HRN or HRX would be interesting.

Jeremy
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

great point large foot - you certainly can make a strong case to test against a Honda.  
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 8,068 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Large Foot.....that reminds me of something funny. When I had my logo designed I sent my idea to a company in Chicago. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and Bigfoot is really big here...well in Chicago not so much. The first mock ups I received actually showed a picture of a large foot pushing a mower instead of Bigfoot pushing a mower....anyways it was really funny to receive those initial pictures.

Jeremy
Photo of Luis Patino

Luis Patino

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Havn't been I here in a while but i came to see if the two main issues have been fixed with the new mower that the old SP had. 1) does the rear side discharge still fall off when you go over a bump /clog with semi wet grass. 2) Does the back slightly raise when SP is engaged? Never got an even cut with my SP mower as the self propel engagement caused the back to go up about a quarter inch so id have to go over it twice to get the same cut as the next line. Talking about going up and down an incline where i only used it going up for assistance. Fix those issues and a new one will be on its way to my house lol
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I haven't noticed my dual blade model rising when using sp. If it is, the cut quality is so good it doesn't look like it is rising.