Can you use a gift receipt as proof of purchase?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of don bordelon

don bordelon

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Disgusted with the company policy. my blower wasa gift and I can't get a receipt. why a receipt? I have the serial number and registered. sorry won't recommend you to ANYONE due to warranty requirements

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This is a big hole in the registration process.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tell the gift giver to scan the receipt and send it to you. If it's really not available, why not? Did they throw the receipt away after purchase? If so, Home Depot can likely reprint a receipt.

Proof of purchase for warranty registration is not a new idea, lots of companies require it.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Waranty Registration via proof of purchase is a terrible system regardless of it is wide spread or not. It's an out dated method of market control that has nothing to do with protecting the consumer.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well it hasn't always been like that. For the first year or so no receipt was required.
Photo of don bordelon

don bordelon

I guess it reduces their warranty liability since probably 25-30% of buyers never jump through hoops for this system of registration. Great profit strategy.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,498 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It has nothing to do with jumping through hoops to reduce their liability/making more profit. It's just the opposite they don't want to get hosed on company profitability.

If you owned a company do you think it makes sense to allow warranty claims on an item worth no proof of purchase or where it came from? Example beat up/miss used/3rd party sales/used.

Imagine how much money companies would lose if people bought broken stuff/used things then turned around to make a warranty claim to get a brand new item.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Erik, someone can abuse the hell out of a product regardless of where it was purchased or if I have a receipt on file. If the part was legitimately defective and covered under a warrantable failure why does it matter who files the claim? 
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Good luck getting the warranty claim if they deem it was abused/used improperly that caused a failure, but anyways that wasn't the point. Point was the reciept pertaining to registering the product proving original purchase, not 3rd party like amazon, ebay, craigslist, or picked up used.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

if the failure was an actual defect and not abuse. why does it matter who turns it?

Cutting out this subset decreases the sample size of failures for the development team to look at and hurts development. Not to mention the customer service hit that you take and loss of marketing value.
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

What requiring a purchase receipt or authorized reseller based warranty does is force the customers to buy from a predetermined distribution channel which works with the manufacturer directly in order to control pricing.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Look man it's their rules, consumers have a choice not to buy EGO's product if they don't like the way they operate. It doesn't matter really who exchanges it as long as it was registered and there's a reciept tied to it to A) validate the warranty period and B) ensure it was bought through an authorized dealer (again EGO's choice, consumer doesn't like terms don't buy).
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

It's a systemic issue; not just EGO/Chervon. 
Photo of Tim Harris

Tim Harris

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I lost my receipt but they fixed an obvious issue in my charger anyway.  I similarly hate being excluded from support, just because I don't have a file of all the receipts I have ever had in my life.  Honestly I am generally less concerned about receipts when its a high end product like this as I assume it means it will just keep working (which it didn't).  

But having said all that - if you call support and show somethings really broke, they may send you a replacement anyway, and you can ignore the email requesting the receipt for at least that one time anyway - worked for me...

And I also agree Ego should stop requiring receipts and stand behind their hi end products without them...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Just have your receipt emailed to you. Set it up once at home depot and it remembers your email address by your card that you use. Problem solved everyone. I just can't believe this is an issue. I don't keep receipts either... but I do have them emailed to me so I can always retrieve them.

It's EGOS policy to require proof of purchase. All we have to do is register and send a copy of the receipt in the reply to the email.

Let's say that I don't register my product. Then something happens to my tool or battery in 5 years. I decide to register it then. At that time I have just started my 5 year warranty. Because of this i would have a 10 year warranty on my tool or 8 year warranty on my battery.

Tell me how this is fair to EGO.
ANYONE?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Agreed, Jacob.

I don't keep every receipt, but I sure do for big-ticket items like tools, appliances and electronics. I have a plastic box in the basement that has all the owners manuals and receipts. They're not organized in any way, just dumped in, and I'd have to dig through it to find something specific. But I know they're there.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I recommend y'all lay on the floor, kick your feet and yell.
Complaining that there are a few requirements to qualify for a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.
Seriously.
This has to be one of the worst discussions on this board.
Photo of don bordelon

don bordelon

Well. Many companies don't even require registration for the warranty to be in force. EGO is behind the times. From the serial number, they know when the product was produced. Come on, stand behind your products.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
They do stand behind their products, more than most.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

These other companies may not require registration, but they WILL require proof of purchase.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

But they don't know when you bought it. So if you buy a 5 yr old tool, according to what your saying, it will have 0 warranty
Photo of Erik

Erik

And lets just say it sat on the shelf in a backroom somewhere for x amount of time somehow. Or someone buys it after it sits in a store for a long period and doesnt have proof of purchase then IF the company goes by Don's reasoning that the serial number tells them the manufacture date you're already out of some of the warranty or all with no PROOF OF PURCHASE to validate you really did just purchase it regardless of serial number/manufacture date.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I live in Calif where one is NOT required to send in warranty cards for either "full" or "limited" warranty coverage on an item purchased in Calif.   It's a great law and other states should enact similar laws.
Photo of don bordelon

don bordelon

I agree with you Dave. If you make a good product, as EGO appears to, stand behind your quality no matter without a ton of paperwork. I doubt that many people need warranty work on EGO products. Do many people look for their used products and try to claim a warranty? I don't think so.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Yeah because they know you need a reciept, if not I'm sure there would be people doing it. I see more then a few people buying rusty/broken craftsman tools at swap meets/garage sales and bringing them to sears to exchange for a brand new one. Then most likely selling it for more.

I see it all the time when im at sears buying tools. I'm also on a forum for Weber grills where I know there's more then a few people that go around looking for busted weber grills or ones with problems to get free warranty parts to resale the grill.

I know of other products too. I'm sure sears and weber lose a good amount of money that way.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I have no issue with them requiring a receipt; neither does the state of Calif.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Let me just come out and say this, there is a reason for why the system works the way it does, though there is always room for improvement, as one would be prudent to assume with all systems.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

$$$$$$ perceived or otherwise. It is a way of enforcing MAP policies.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's really simple.  It is the only way for EGO to be assured that the person submitting the warranty registration is the original owner and the date the tool was purchased.  Without this information, who's to say it came from the flee market and is 10 years old.  Just saying.  Not a Champion speaking here, but one of common sense.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

A product given as a gift is used not by the original owner. Handing the gift receiver a receipt doesn't magically make them the original owner.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm pretty sure I've seen that question asked here before, and there was no issue getting the product registered under the receiver's name.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Correct. A gift receipt qualifies Jennifer said on another post.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The biggest concern to me is the date of purchase to start the warranty clock ticking. Ego's 5 yr warranty is somewhat exceptional, but a product with a one or two year warranty would ABSOLUTELY be affected by shelf life before purchase if the date of manufacture were used for warranty purposes.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some law to protect the consumer from that. Heck, it would reduce power tools to the same level as produce with a "best before" date... anything coming up on the expiry would have to be put on the clearance table and priced appropriately. :-)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Requiring a receipt is a cop out. Providing proof of date of purchase should be 1st line with a date of manufacture being the 2nd option. This helps both consumers who are either gifted product or lose a copy of the receipts and manufacturers as it helps to prevent people from going through drastic measure such as falsifying receipts. 
There can be a happy middle ground. 
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Registration must be optional according to current US laws.

§ 700.7 Use of warranty registration cards.

(a) Under section 104(b)(1) of the Act, 15 U.S.C. 2304(b)(1), a warrantor offering a full warranty may not impose on consumers any duty other than notification of a defect as a condition of securing remedy of the defect or malfunction, unless such additional duty can be demonstrated by the warrantor to be reasonable. Warrantors have in the past stipulated the return of a “warranty registration” or similar card. By “warranty registration card” the Commission means a card which must be returned by the consumer shortly after purchase of the product and which is stipulated or implied in the warranty to be a condition precedent to warranty coverage and performance.

(b) A requirement that the consumer return a warranty registration card or a similar notice as a condition of performance under a full warranty is an unreasonable duty. Thus, a provision such as, “This warranty is void unless the warranty registration card is returned to the warrantor” is not permissible in a full warranty, nor is it permissible to imply such a condition in a full warranty.

(c) This does not prohibit the use of such registration cards where a warrantor suggests use of the card as one possible means of proof of the date the product was purchased. For example, it is permissible to provide in a full warranty that a consumer may fill out and return a card to place on file proof of the date the product was purchased. Any such suggestion to the consumer must include notice that failure to return the card will not affect rights under the warranty, so long as the consumer can show in a reasonable manner the date the product was purchased. Nor does this interpretation prohibit a seller from obtaining from purchasers at the time of sale information requested by the warrantor.

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

That's interesting.  But in part C it does mention that the consumer is required to show some sort of proof of the purchase date.  Thus the Receipt is the only real proof.

And quite honestly, having EGO store your receipt so you don't have to keep track of it, is a big convenience!

(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

It does not require manufactures to require a proof of purchase date it only states that registering a product as a means of providing proof of purchase date is an adequate (and not illegal) option.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

NEVER trust that a company will electronically keep receipts/warranty info safe for the entire time that a warranty is in force.  I've had PERSONAL issues with a company "losing" my information.   Therefore, always keep your receipts and warranty info handy.  If you live in Calif, the only item one should really be concerned about is the receipt.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I scan all of my receipts and save to the cloud and locally.  Those thermal receipts are useless after a few months.   I think on purpose.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Scdc they last a while if you put clear packing tape or scotch tape over them.
Photo of Tim Harris

Tim Harris

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
To be clear, the serial numbers come with a manufactured date, or can easily be linked to such a date.  In my case, I was asked for a receipt even though the manufacturing date of the product was a few months ago.  So its not the case that the receipt is the only way to age the original product - it just provides the purchase date, which is generally less than a year after the manufacture date...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yes it is the only way. As the warranty is FROM DATE OF PURCHASE. So a mower could be on the shelf for 4 years. And if you bought that one, you would have 1 year left on your warranty. Then the complaints about that would pour in.

Suppliers do not get the serial number at purchase time. So....... please explain how EGO can guarantee you get your full warranty, and that a dishonest person doesn't get 10 years.....
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

The same way that ego cannot guarantee that a dishonest person would buy a used item on Craigslist and falsify a receipt now.

Receipt could be one way of proving waranty with manufacturer datr being backup incase the receipt is no longer available. (Gift, death, fire, flood, etc.)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Even if it is a gift, I dont see why this day in age you can't produce a receipt. The transaction can be looked up by credit card, cash it can still be looked up in the system, and even gift receipt, and stores besides home depot have kiosks to look up transactions and print and also its tied to your rewards account if applicable.

I could see if the person is deceased/out of the country or whatever. I'm not trying to sound like a a$s but for a 600$ item 99% of people hang onto a receipt like they're life depends on it.
(Edited)
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

Home depot cannot (will not) provide transaction history on cash purchases. I am highly skeptical of the 99% figure that you are stating. I'd be surprised if it was even 75%
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Well, I generally do keep receipts for tools that cost over $100 or tools that I think might not be reliable.
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

To be clear I am not trying to say that the manufacture should 'bend over' for anyone at any time. What I am saying is that if someone has in their possession a, for example, 21 inch self propelled mower and needs warranty service. Even though this product has not been out more then 5 years would it be OK to deny even looking at manufacture date as an option to determine if the mower is in the warranty timeline?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

This topic gives me a headache. It's EGOs policy. Deal with it.
Gift receipts qualify as proof of purchase.
Keep your receipt. It took me 1 minute to register with the receipt. Take a picture of it after you put your name on it.
Send to the email reply from ego.

Or dont. But don't complain about it if YOU forgot to register it.

In this case, if you send EGO a picture of the gift receipt you should be fine.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

And frankly I think EGO's policy is quite a reasonable one.  I don't think a receipt or some kind of proof of purchase from an authorized EGO dealer and purchase date is too much to ask for.  I thought about giving away one of my Kobalt blowers that I purchased with cash and I had planned to give the receipt with it.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I've received warranty replacements of products without having to provide a receipt,  but simply by providing a model number which hadn't been out longer than the warranty period, and other times, where applicable,  by providing the model/serial number.   Some companies are just better to deal with them others--it's as simple as that. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Really, how hard is it to ask the person who gave you something as expensive as a lawn tool if they can get you a gift receipt so you can register for the warranty? That's such standard practice anymore I can't imagine giving someone something expensive without tucking a gift receipt into the box.

It's such common practice that many stores ask you whether you need a gift receipt if you're buying anything anywhere near Christmas.

That said, I think people in the past have been able to call Ego's 800 customer service number to register gifts without receipts.
(Edited)
Photo of don bordelon

don bordelon

Really? Do you always ask how much someone paid for a gift?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

A gift receipt has no price on it, and if someone is curious about the price the internet is but a few clicks away. ;-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

No, Don, I don't, and didn't say I did. Gift receipts were invented for just this reason.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Look, being sour and rude isn't a good way to get a positive response from anyone. As hard as it may be to be nice when you're all upset, if you're nice, people will be more inclined to help you.
Photo of Erik

Erik

No thats why a GIFT receipt doesnt show the price. Call EGO customer service and ask if you can register a gift then and maybe they'll help.
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
All, thanks for the lively discussion here.  A gift receipt is an acceptable form of proof of purchase.  To ensure your tool is fully covered for our warranty period, you can always call our customer service team, explain your situation and we will do our best to work with you.  We can be reached at 1-855-346-5656.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.