Does the new high lift blade offer improved vacuum power over the standard blade even at cutting heights between 3 and 4 inches?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Or is the improvement only at lower cutting heights? I like to mow at 4 inches (setting 6)? Will the high lift blade result in better vacuum power at that height? In particular, will it have a greater capacity at that high cutting height to pull up grass that is bent over and cut it, and also to pull up autumn leaves from the lawn? I've noticed with the standard blade, it dosen't pull up grass that is bent over and cut it the way gas-powered mowers I've used in the past have.
Photo of John

John

• 2,056 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,196 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
someone posted a week or two ago that the HL blade is not good at vacuuming at high cutting heights.  I totally believe them, given my experience with the Ego 21 mower.   having said that, I cut at 2 or 3, so don't mind giving that blade a try when it available.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The improvement in vacuum should be proportional to cutting height, that's to say, the vacuum will be increased at ALL cutting heights, but whether it increases enough at a specific height to do a specific job is another thing.

Generally, the higher the height setting the less vacuum you get.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,624 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Since I cut at 2 always, can't say, but I did notice yesterday that when I tipped the front end up it was sucking up bark dust around a plant, so...maybe?
Photo of Troutboy

Troutboy

• 930 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I found that at 2 it works awesome, almost like my old Honda that was beast.  I normally cut at 3, and tried it with highl-lift and couldn't tell much if s difference, it was leavening twigs, leaves and heavier debris and not sucking as well as on 2.  Maybe a little better. 
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Agree with Blue that that higher you raise the height, the larger the opening to the ground.  However, when you cut your grass at height #4, you're also leaving behind grass at height #2; and the same goes for whatever height you cut at.  So there's still a chance that you'll have sufficient vacuum at height #4 (or even #6).

But unless measured with scientific equipment, what one person considers acceptable vacuum will be deemed insufficient by another.

Ego Team: this is where the manufacturer should have demonstration videos showing real world performance trials or tests.

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Duly noted. :-) 

(a)Typical Engineer

It's been an hour, did you make the video yet? =)

Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

• 636 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
While we are talking about blades, my new high lift isn't here yet---my wish list would include a new design ultra lightweight, super sharp blade to mulch and suck up so stuff doesn't just lay on top of the grass. This mower is really bad at getting up the grass from its tire tracks. Makes for an uneven cut that shows up the next day. Better, better blades please!! This is such a huge fail for such a nice mower. Now it is raining on top of the grass left behind, you either have to rake or use the blower to bust it up. Really quite ridiculous for this price.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,622 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Please read my review about my experience with the high lift blade, it should answer your questions

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that

I feel for those that weren't lucky enough to grab one of the few that came available on Amazon, as Ego still can't seem to get them to their raving fans on this forum.

(Edited)
Photo of Charles Crittenden

Charles Crittenden

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I bought a HL blade today online from RCPW for $49.99 + shipping which totals at $61.55. I don't want to wait until August to see if this mower is going to work for me. 
I have the mower, trimmer and the blower and was very excited when I saw them at HD in June of this year. Although I will have to admit that my confidence has been shaken with this blade problem and yesterday my 2.5 AH battery on my trimmer went on the green blink. Their customer service is great but the ETA to receive replacements on warranty items is a bit long. I really hope the blade and the new battery solve my problems because I really like the products. 
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

• 380 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
EGO!!!!  GET THE @$*&#*@ BLADES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's just a lawnmower blade that already exists!
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

Been waiting since March for Pete's sake!!!!!!
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,622 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Nope, since january.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, that was really the big dealbreaker for me, plus, the standard blade just will not cut what I need it to cut.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,456 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Did you place an order with amazon - because there have been several posts of users getting a blade thru amazon (after a month or 2).  If you are waiting for the website to say in stock before placing an order you may be out of luck.  I would guess many (like me) have an order in process that will be filled before any new sales are made thru an instock listing on the amazon website. 

If you are waiting on HD - they have never listed the HL Blade on their website that I am aware of.
Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

have ordered through Amazon and appreciate all the advice to do so. Still taking a couple of months to get here, Amazon is hopeful to get here in six weeks. What a company, who are these people? My shaggy lawn is not impressing the folks! They do like that it is so quiet, but won't order now.
Photo of Art Zasadny

Art Zasadny

• 1,436 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I mow my lawn at 4" (setting 6) and I've ordered the high lift blade through Amazon to see if that improves the "lift and cut" performance at that height. With the stock blade, I get a nice even cut but there is some grass that is laying down and doesn't get cut so i mow several times at different directions t try and get it cut nice and cleanly. Hopefully, with the new blade, I'll be able to reduce the number of passes I make to accomplish this.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I mow at setting 2, and get good suction - I doubt 4 would make me happy.  I'm sure the higher you cut the less lift you're gonna get.
Photo of Art Zasadny

Art Zasadny

• 1,436 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
2 months later and I'm loving the high-lift blade!!!
Photo of Pongajim

Pongajim

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
 The high lift blade is a bit better than the standard but not nearly sufficient to pick up grass and debris especially when the mower slows down for lack of torque demand. A much better solution is to get an aftermarket high lift blade from the big box stores. It includes an adapter kit to fit most every mower on the planet. The higher the lift the more airflow and the more noise. EGO is just trying to keep the db down and increase the lift at the same time but it doesn't really meet many customer needs. If you really want lift, get the aftermarket kit. 

(a)Typical Engineer

An after market blade will VOID your warranty, as well possibly having too much load for the mower.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I'm happy with it as is, but if there's a better one, I'm all ears, do tell, what where and how much?
Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

Getting another blade sounds like a grand idea. I have the HL blade, and it is better, but still leaves grass all over the mow strip, and this company doesn't seem to understand that a mower should not make more work raking and sweeping up after it. I also still get some of the fold down blades of grass, I want a high quality blade. If they won't make one, there has to be a company that will. 
Photo of totalee33

totalee33

yup, I'm with you!
Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

Yes, another brand of blade would void the warranty, how long is that anyway?  And you would need to consider the weight of the blade etc and get a very similar design. Has anyone out there tried another type of blade, or modified the HL to really work? I don't care if it is noisier. 

(a)Typical Engineer

Warranty on the mower unit is five years; batteries and chargers are three years.