Does the LM2142SP have more power than the LM2101?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
I have a LM2101.  Unless I mow frequently, it can bog down on deeper grass.  In different places I have seen that it has either a 700w or a 750w motor; while the LM2142 has a 1200w motor.  I don't care about the self propelled feature, or the longer running time; I just want more power.
Does the LM2142SP have more power?  I suppose some of that 1200w goes to propelling it, but if I don't use the self propulsion, does the power go to the cutting blade?

I have the ego snow blower.  When it starts to bog down, it suddenly gets more power; presumably by using both batteries. (it doesn't do that with one battery) Does the lawn mower do that also?

Thanks much
Photo of Wade Lippman

Wade Lippman

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Bernie Basel

Bernie Basel

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've never run the non-self propelled mower so I can't offer a comparison.  However, you don't have to run in the self-propelled mode so I would imagine that that would leave more power for cutting. 
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes the 2142 mower uses the same "Peak Power Technology" that the snow blower uses to get optimum power by utilizing both batteries.

1200w brushless motor is much more powerful than the 1000W brushed motor on the LM2100.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,262 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

EGO’s Representative sent this statement out in 2018.

Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new Dual Battery Mower. Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

You’ll want to note that all of these statements have been confirmed by our engineering team. Also, the Steel Deck Self-Propelled Mower is rated at 1000W. Our apologies for any misunderstanding. 

Watch this video regarding the Ego dual battery lawn mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd85zB-59Wo

Link to the EGO High Lift Blade we talk about: https://amzn.to/2NpzyxQ Price the EGO Dual Battery 21" Mower on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OKT8VM New Dual Battery Mower - This NEW Dual Battery EGO 21" Self-Propelled mower provides longer run time not only because it has multiple batteries!  This the EGO's first BRUSHLESS lawn mower.  You will not see the word brushless on this lawnmower but rest assured it is.   This lawn mower operated very similar to the dual battery snow blower with what EGO calls PeakPower technology.  Basically, the PeakPower technology can determine what battery or batteries (It can run off a single battery) you have in the lawn mower and the software determines the most efficient power draw.  This allows users to use multiple batteries for long runtimes and more torque or the ability to run one battery while the other charges.  While this new model looks and feels almost exactly like the single battery 21" lawn mower, the difference lies in the motor and the torque it can provide.  With two 5.0Ah batteries, one can see upwards of 40% more torque from this unit.  that allows you to run some of the upgrades we list below with little effect on runtime! This is an expensive unit, due mostly to the cost of the two batteries if you buy the kit.  But if you are wanting a nice, powerful and quiet lawn mower to tackle larger lawns, look no further, this is it. What is PeakPower Technology? This new mower is the second tool from EGO that will run on a single battery or also capable of running off two batteries.  EGO calls this technology PeakPower and it is software that is capable of detecting the size of the batteries in the tool.  Obviously, the larger the battery, or batteries, the better it will perform.  The software will look at the number of cells (battery pack size) that is can pull power from and adjust the amps drawn from the battery, or batteries for optimal performance.  This gives the user options if a battery was forgotten to be charged or if one were to possibly go bad.  We found that there is little difference between running the unit with a 7.5Ah single battery or two 5.0Ah batteries, but all of our testing was done with the two 5.0Ah batteries that came in the kit. LM2142SP Features 21 self-propelled mower Features PeakPower technology for more Torque Bare tool or with (2) 5.0Ah batteries and charger Variable speed control for Self-Propulsion Single lever 6-position deck height adjustment Compatible with any EGO 56-Volt battery Folds easily for compact storage LED headlights 5-year limited warranty Why Go Battery Powered? The largest benefits of a battery operated lawn mower are the lack of pull starting, lack of buying gas, lack of changing oil and a significant decrease in noise.  While testing out battery operated lawn mowers, Jeff and I are able to have conversations without yelling.  Try that with any gas-powered lawn mower and you will be screaming at each other and most of the time not understanding all that is said.  The largest downside to a battery-powered unit is, or was runtime.  Prior to this model, the average runtime we would see with the single battery EGO was around 45-minutes.  With this new unit, one will easily see 75-minutes while mowing a normal lawn.  Many people start to look at a small tractor at the point where they are mowing a lawn for over an hour and a half. This small battery operated unit opens the door for commercial contractors to use this unit for trimming.  The runtime will easily allow for its use on and off while trimming for a normal workday. Upgrades We have found that is very thin stranded grass that is cut at more than 3" that there can be strands of grass left uncut.  This is because the blades on most battery-powered lawn mowers are designed for runtime, not lift.  There is a high lift blade available from EGO that will lift the grass and cut better, but it will slightly reduce the runtime of the machine.  This new machine will have this blade much better and still give a long runtime.  We highly suggest you try this blade with the new mower!  EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP

Photo of Omega Man

Omega Man

• 60 Points
Would you gain any performance running 2 7.5Ah batteries?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think this has been asked previously and answered as a no.

Although the PeakPower system can pull more power from more cells there is a limit.

Moving up to two 5.0 batteries from smaller ie 5.0 + 2.5 will give you better performance.
Moving up from two 5.0  to larger ie 7.5 +7.5 will not give any better performance only longer run time.
(Edited)