Does anyone have experience with ths snowblower in really cold climates?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Lithium-Ion batteries power really drops off when cold. Here in northern MN, I am talking -20F and colder. I use my cordless EGO blower (non-snowblower) for light fluffy snow on the front and rear decks of my home and keep it inside. If I use it for longer periods when the battery is cold, my time diminished dramatically. I am skeptical on how long even the largest battery will run in extremely cold temps. I own multiple snowblowers from a 54" tractor mounted to a pair of electrics. I would really like to ditch the cords and if I could get an idea of a reasonable amount of run-time to expect in sub-zero temps, I would consider the Ego-blower as an addition to my current Ego tools.

Photo of Jack Davis

Jack Davis

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 4,458 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
We've been blowing just fine here in central mn. Not too often when we have to blow when it is -20, just that fluke storm last month. our blower still churned along in the subzero. We do @535 ft. We have two 7.5s and two 5s batts, and with the light stuff we've been having we get done with those. The wetter snow took a bit of one more charge. Went through that last 8" like a champ. I think you will be good.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The ego batteries have a warming system in addition to their superior cooling technology.

COLD WEATHER OPERATIONThis Lithium-Ion battery pack will provide optimal performance in temperatures between 32°F (0°C) and 104°F (40°C). When the battery pack is very cold, it may “pulse” for the first minute of use to warm itself. Put the battery pack on a tool and use the tool in a light application. After about a minute, the battery pack will have warmed itself and will operate normally.

NOTE: When not in use, a 56V battery should be stored in an enclosed area where the temperature will not drop below -4°F (-20°C). Optimal charging temperatures are 32°F - 104°F (0°C - 40°C)

Photo of Peter Lightbeam

Peter Lightbeam

• 732 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You state that the "battery  pack will provide optimal performance in temperatures between 32°F (0°C) and 104°F (40°C). When the battery pack is very cold it may 'pulse'.... ". What do you mean by very cold? 0F? What is one expected to experience with a 68°F fully-charged battery introduce to a -20° environment for 5 minutes before a load is applied? Or: what is the real "drop dead" low temperature for fully charged batteries when taken outside and allowed to chill to the ambient? 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 4,458 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Curious, why would you do that? As stated above the batts heat themselves while they are under load. Why would you ever take them outside if you weren't using them?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Peter, I left my batteries in my snowblower in the garage once. My garage usually stays above freezing, but this time there was still some snow on the machine the next day, so near the door it must be just below freezing when it’s real cold out.

I went to charge the batteries and got a red temperature indicator on the charger. This tells me that the cold soak temperature limit for the batteries is probably not too far below freezing.

If the batteries are kept inside your heated house, I imagine they would have to sit outside in the cold for a decent amount of time before they cooled off below that temperature. I wouldn’t plan on taking the batteries outside and hour before I plan to use them, especially if it’s really cold.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jack, if you store and charge the batteries inside, they will not have a chance to get too cold since they warm up when power is drawn from them.

If you leave them in an un-heated garage, well then the batteries will surely not perform as well.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I charge and store my 7.5ah batteries INSIDE.  Then when I want to blow snow they're all warmed up.  Never had a problem in Nebraska at 0degF.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm in Iowa and haven't had any performance dropoff at around zero degrees. I keep my batteries in a heated garage, so they start out around 55-60 degrees.

Once the batteries are being used the current draw warms them up. This is the same as with the lithium batteries I use with my drone, where the flight data app allows me to track the temperature of the cells. I've started with batteries at 50 degrees in freezing weather and within a minute or two the cells are in the 80s or 90s.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 7,076 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Jack, as most have stated if you start out storing the batteries in a warmer environment and only bring them out in the cold to use the snow blower, they should be fine. Also when in use, they'll stay warm given that there is some residual heat generated by the batteries as it supplies power to the snow blower.

I'm in South Dakota and while -20F isn't often, sub-zero temperatures are quite common here (especially this winter) and I've had little issues with the batteries. The only time I've had problem was when I took a break from using the snow blower out in the cold and spent a half hour with shoveling the steps. After the snow blower and batteries sat there in the cold for a half hour...the power seemed a little less than it should. Overall though, I've been very pleased with this snow blower (driveway that can fit 9 cars, snow blower with dual 5.0ah batteries).
(Edited)
Photo of Irving Lamansky

Irving Lamansky

• 706 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

I too live in central Minnesota, and yes, northern MN beats us shovels down when it comes to temps and snow depths.

My routine is this.  I received one 7.5 amp battery with my lawn mower and bought another 7.5 amp on the 'bay.   I use both at the same time in the blower.  I keep my batteries in the house, charging them only when they have been in use for at least forty-five minutes or I have finally run them both down to the "red".

I usually run the blower at max speed.  It goes through eight inches of snow with no problem.  I have to chew away at the piles the city plows leave at the end of my driveway, but perseverance gets me through that too.

I strongly encourage the use of two 7.5 amp batteries.  2 x 7.5A x 56V = 840 watts or about 1.1 HP, not that much, but suitable for a single stage blower.

I really like the Ego snow blower.  I am wondering about the wheels though. They are quite squeaky. This summer I will probably replace them with sealed bearing wheels.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,348 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That’s the capacity of the batteries, 840Wh. The motor is 2000W peak, about 2.7hp.

My snowblower wheels started squeaking about halfway into my first season. I put some axle grease on them and haven’t heard a peep since. I’m almost through my second season now.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 79,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
squeaky wheel gets the grease :)
Photo of Min Kim

Min Kim

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Power (W), Energy (Wh) ; Energy is 840Wh. I am not sure what chemistry in the battery pack if a high power NMC lithium or LFP, it should support higher than 2C rate. Higher than 15A discharge. and it should enough to support 2~3kW (or 2.5 ~ 3.5 hp)