Does 7.5 Ah Battery Put Out More Power Than the 5.0 Ah Battery?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Using mainly EGO Chainsaw, does the 7.5 Ah battery put out more power (better performance) than the 5.0 Ah battery, or does the 7.5 Ah battery just give a longer run-time than the 5.0?  Thanks
Photo of John Heron

John Heron

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 8,166 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Longer run time
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,150 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I believe the chainsaw will work fine with a 2.5 AH battery (that is what came with mine, and I've been happy with it's performance and never considered trying a 7.5 AH from my mower on it.)

You MIGHT notice a difference in performance between the 2.5 and the 5.0 (Theoretically the 5.0 AH can produce more current...but I'm not sure if the chainsaws motor would take advantage of that or not), but I doubt that going from 5.0 to 7.5 would gain you any more usable power (but it would give you more runtime).
Photo of John Heron

John Heron

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the feedback.  I ask because I know of at least one other brand of cordless chainsaw where their larger battery actually does produce a higher power output (high demand), and not just longer run-time.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,308 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
John, EGO makes two chainsaws (14" = CS1403 and 16" = CS1604).  The 14" comes with a 2.5 Ah battery, while the 16" comes with a 5.0 Ah battery.  Additionally, the 16" chainsaw has a "slightly" higher Watt motor versus the 14" chainsaw.  Now, the 7.5 Ah technically speaking has 3x more power than the 2.5 Ah battery.

Power (Watts) = Volts x Current (Amps)
  • 56V x 2.5Ah = 140 Watts / hour
  • 56V x 5.0Ah = 280 Watts / hour
  • 56V x 7.5Ah = 420 Watts / hour
To that point; I am not certain if the chainsaw will (and/or) can use all that power.  What is certain is the 5.0Ah battery will last longer than the 2.5Ah battery.  Several owners on this community board claimed that the EGO chainsaw does detect the size of the battery, and therefore, can support more power to the motor - which gives you more cutting torque at the blade.  The only way to know for certain is to contact Customer Service to validate this.

(Edited)
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

• 1,654 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
_ Rather than using the word "technically" in reference to the batteries it may be more appropriate to use the word "theoretically" instead.
_ The calculations shown by David can be misunderstood. Although the 7.5 Ah battery calculation shows the possibility of putting out 420 Watts per hour, it can do so for only 1 hour if the load attached to the battery is drawing a current of 7.5 Amps or drawing 15 Amps for 1/2 hour, etc.
_ If an EGO equipment unit draws say 1.25 Amps of current then the 2.5 Ah battery will deliver power for 2 hours (2.5 Ah ÷ 1.25 Amps = 2 hours); the 5.0 Ah battery should last for 4 hours; and the 7.5 Ah battery should last for 6 hrs. (7.5 Ah ÷ 1.25 Amps = 6 hours).
_ Although the 7.5 Ah battery is capable of 420 Watts of power output, it would require a 56 Volt equipment device that draws 7.5 Amps of current to manifest the full 420 Watts of power.  Power = Volts x Amps = Watts.
_ It is like light bulbs rated a different Watts. A 100 Watt bulb draws twice the current of a 50 Watt bulb connected to equivalent potential sources.
_ Also, I do not know the actual battery current output capability.  The current output capability of these batteries would define the actual power output capability.  If a battery is capable of dishing out only a 1 Ampere flow of current before it burns up of overheating then only calculations for equipment that draws under 1 Ampere would be safe for consideration and the power calculation would be based on the actual voltage and current output capabilities of the battery. In such a case (56 V and 1 A) the power output would be limited to a maximum or 56 Watts in all cases.
_ So as you can see, jumping to conclusions of actual power capability can sometimes be misleading.

(Edited)