Do you need to remove battery from snow blower when not using

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Hi, If the snow blower is kept above 55 degrees (heated garage) do you need to remove the battery from the snow blower when not using, as the directions instruct?
Photo of MATTHEW A ZEUNERT

MATTHEW A ZEUNERT

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,182 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
My garage is climate control in the winter at 62 degrees.  I've had my snowblower for two years and use two 7.5ah batteries.  If i use the snow blower and still have a good charge left in the batteries, I will keep the batteries in the snow blower, if I think I might use it within the next two days.  Otherwise, I'll take the batteries out and charge them on my rapid charger.  Because I use two 7.5ah batteries, I usually have power left in my batteries when I finish snow blowing, but you can't go wrong by always removing your batteries from your snow blower and charging them.

MATTHEW A ZEUNERT

What if they are fully charged but no snow for a couple weeks?  It would be convenient to store in Snowblower if no known issues.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm just a user but I take my batteries inside after use in the snowblower.  Batteries don't like the cold.  Of course if they are in use blowing snow they heat up nicely.  They need to be recharged anyway so I take them inside.  I have two chargers so when I'm done I just plop them on the chargers.  In the summer I don't do anything special.  They're fine.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
ALL batteries in ANY tool should be removed when not in use; it helps protect both the tool and batteries. This us why manufacturers tell you that in owners manuals.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
What does EGO say?  EGO..?  Are you there?  I don't see what difference it would make as long as the temperatures are not extreme.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,182 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Since you have a heated garage and your batteries don't need to be charged, I don't see a problem.  Just make sure to either blow the snow or wipe the snow off the top of your snow blower, so no water can get into the battery compartment.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
To prevent potential corrosion from ice melts, if applied to your driveway, I rinse off the entire blower with warm water, then blow excess off with my EGO Blower and wipe dry with a clean shop towel. Once completely aur dried, I spray silicon on the paddles and chute to prevent clogging.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,514 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm not aware of any place in the manual that specifically states you must remove the batteries when the snow blower is not in use (outside of maintenance for safety and storage of the snow blower). I think it's good practice to do so though. Besides protecting the electronics of both the tool and the battery...there are springs in the battery compartment that help you remove battery. I suspect that it's not good for those springs to not be sprung for days.

MATTHEW A ZEUNERT

I probably lead the storing the snow blower section, maybe the question should be how many weeks can you leave the batteries in before they consider it snowing?  It has been almost 4 weeks since we got snow in Chicago, that is what prompted the question.  

STORING THE SNOW BLOWER CAUTION: Ensure that all melted snow that may drip from the snow blower is properly wiped up to prevent a slip and fall hazard. ◾ Remove the battery pack(s) and store in a secure location out of the reach of children.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,226 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Remember that after a month of disuse, the batteries will self-discharge to maintenance levels. You'll have to remove them to charge them before the next snow!

Personally, I always remove the batteries and bring them inside, as our garage is not heated, but the room they're charged and stored in is around your garage temperature! I think if I was leaving them in the snow blower, I'd pop them up so they weren't in electrical contact with the device.