do you have to change the blade on a lawnmower or sharpen it ?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
do you have to change the blade on a lawnmower or sharpen it if so what do you use to sharpen it and where do you buy it at
Photo of Amal Assef

Amal Assef

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • happy

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,546 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

I have 2 blades one is always sharp, and hanging on the wall. I use a Dremel cordless to sharpen it, and it works great...I change blades at least twice a year, and it makes a big difference.
Photo of Amal Assef

Amal Assef

thanks so much!
Photo of Amal Assef

Amal Assef

can you send a link?
i read that the ego mowers have thin blades and to maintain them sharp is especially important.
this tool seems like a great addition. i certainly cant imagine sharpening a blade while its on the mower. the blade needs to be kept balanced, i dont know how this can be done without taking it off.
Photo of Tyoda

Tyoda

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is it typical for the blade to get out of balance after sharpening?  I bought one of those little pyramid balancing devices with this in mind.
Photo of Christopher Kopek

Christopher Kopek

• 410 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have found that it is important to keep your mower blade sharp for battery life and the health of your lawn, also keeping it balance is critical to reduce vibration
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,596 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You can also use a simple file 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,376 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
too slow for me!   LOL!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I can sharpen the blade in under 2 minutes by using a stationary belt sander.  I can quickly get it "scary sharp".  Nothing I've used is as fast for getting a perfect edge.
some people use angle grinders.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Angle grinders are slower and is nigh impossible to get a uniform edge.
Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I tried an angle grinder and had a tough time as well.
Photo of Paul Nolte

Paul Nolte

• 70 Points
I use my bench grinder.  Stone on one side, wire wheel on the other.  Never had any issues with balance.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,546 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Purchase a second one, and have one ready to go. Sharpen the one you just took off. Works great.

Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Already have multiple opinions in blade sharpening - the most important thing I find is to clean and entire blade and crucial to balance it. The other important step is to also clean the underside of the mower deck.