Do you have a blade that will make more than 10 cuts before going dull. Cutting Post Oak.

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
I have the 14" chainsaw. I own 13.31 acres in Oklahoma and I am clearing 20 trees around the cabin. I can get about 10 cuts before the blade dulls to the point I am burning the wood vs cutting the wood. I have tried the original blade, an Echo, and the Oregon blades with similar results. Is there a professional blade for this saw?
Photo of Bobby Allen

Bobby Allen

• 70 Points

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 47,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I believe Ego chain saws use Oregon chains. I think you can use any chain that is the correct size. You just need to find one suited to the hardness of the wood you're trying to cut.

I spent an entire afternoon recently using the pole saw to cut up some limbs from another type of oak tree with no sign of the chain dulling. I think you're right, you're going to need to seek out a professional-grade chain in the correct size.
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,160 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ken is correct, both Echo 58V and Ego 56V use re-branded Oregon chains, specifically the 3/8-pitch 0.043"-width Oregon’s micro-lite narrow-kerf cutting system.

(a)Typical Engineer

Alternate Solution: In order to get a more durable chain, you're going to have to go up in size, mainly width.  The next larger sizes are 0.050" and 0.063" (this might be a bit too large).  By going with a wider chain, you'll have more metal on the cutter tooth, but of course you're going to be using more battery power to drive the system.

Warranty: Changing out the Ego bar/chain combo will of course void your warranty.

Technical Discussion: The Echo 58V, Ego 56V and Kobalt 80V all use the same "A041" motor mount for the bar; so you could theoretically bolt on any bar/chain combo, as long as the drive sprocket will work.

Ego Team: Please have you Engineering team evaluate whether using a 0.050" width chain on the existing Ego chainsaw drive sprocket is possible.  If so, that would allow Ego to offer an alternate (wider) chain/saw and bar combination.

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 6,226 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
aTE - any word from EGO about 0.050" & 0.063" tk chains? I'm looking for a spare chain and noticed a bar/chain combo isn't too much more so was thinking maybe 0.050"?

(a)Typical Engineer

Have not heard anything from Ego on this.  Also, it isn't just about the 0.007" wider chain, everything about that will be much larger, therefore, it will also put a heavier load on the saw.  Therefore, not recommended unless Ego says it will not void the warranty.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 62,630 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As you've discussed, most chains saws require a specific chain and guide bar to maintain the proper function and more importantly, keep the saw safe. Thus, EGO does not recommend using any chain other than what is specified in the manual. Employing an alternative chain could damage the tool and present a safety issue, as well as void the warranty. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 46,880 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Actually my chains also dull at an incredibly quick rate, much like you experience.  This is an interesting read.  https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chains-dulling-very-quickly.131434/  I think the number 1 problem we are having is not enough oil hitting the chain.  I would like a little pump ball to push oil manually on the chain.  Other factors are talked about in that thread, including the difference between a safety chain (most common) and others.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 153,596 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The guy who cleared our lot has a beast of a machine, like an excavator with a tree shredding attachment.

This thing eats trees for a living, and this guy has been running machines like this for a very long time. If you look closely you can see the drum is covered in large hardened steel teeth that are replaceable. In this picture he is replacing about a half dozen of them.

He told me that certain tree species are much harder on those teeth than others. Surprisingly Cedar is one of the worst and just happens to be what our lot was covered in.

Knowing that I am a little more tolerant of the fact that I dulled my Ego chainsaw chain in about one days worth of cutting.

Those of you who have lots of experience cutting with other chainsaws will know much better than I... I’m just stating this for those who may not have much experience and who are following along with the conversation.