Differences between 5Ah battery supplied with the tool vs the 5Ah battery purchased separately?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Is there a difference between the 5Ah battery supplied with the tool vs the 5Ah battery purchased separately. The price for the single battery looks to be the same as the cost of buying a tool in a kit which includes the battery and charger.  Example:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego-650cfm-handheld-leaf-blower-kit-5-0-ah-battery-and-charger-incl...    

vs.  

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ego-56v-arc-li-ion-5-0ah-battery-with-fuel-gauge-for-all-ego-power-...
Photo of Tanp

Tanp

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 78,920 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No difference other than price. Kit prices are always the best it seems regardless of brand of tool. 
The only thing you might see right now is whether the tool comes with Gen 2 (simple fuel gauge) or Gen 3 (multi segment fuel gauge) battery. But, still the same battery whether with tool or stand alone.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,472 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
As Mike mentions, really look at the kits (tool + batter) as it's a better deal than the bare tool or battery-only purchases. It's extremely rare to see the batteries themselves go on sale at a discounted price. Not sure why the batteries are insanely priced so high but most of us that prefer EGO's products have learned to accept it. 
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,734 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Like - That is a really good price if you got it for $348.00 as it has been going up and down from $398.00. Its a great package and yes - you should have received the Gen 3 battery with ( multi segment fuel gauge ) The 5 amp regular battery alone is listed at $298.00 and the Gen 3 battery is at $359.00. Batteries alone are formidable to buy - its best to look the the kits as they are the best deals. Good choice - Hope you enjoy. 
Photo of Tanp

Tanp

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the replies guys. I was trying to understand Ego’s logic on pricing. It seems unless you have enough batteries as backup, it’s best to just go ahead and buy the kit and get a free tool plus charger.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,694 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
that is correct sir
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,628 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
" I was trying to understand Ego’s logic on pricing". You are not alone! It is without logic.

When I purchased my Powerhead + Edger attachment together, it was $129, and the Powerhead alone was priced at $149. Neither included a battery. Go figure.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,694 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Powerhead and edger attachment an all time great purchase.