Differences Between 15” String Trimmer Models - Durability, Ergonomics, Improvements?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Info on the 15" trimmers. Which is best?

I’m looking at acquiring a 15” string trimmer but seek clarification on the models available regarding durability, ergonomics and gerrational improvements.

The main differences I notice between the models are standard vs. rapid reload head and straight shaft vs. split shaft.

I understand the convenience of both a rapid reload head and split shaft but are they just as durable and reliable as a standard load head and straight shaft?

Are there any other differences I should know about between the models available such as ergonomics and generational improvements?
Photo of Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Geoff, as far as I know there have been no issues with strength or durability with the split shaft trimmer design.  Mine is the straight shaft and it seems fine as well.

The rapid reload head is new to the market and I haven't seen anyone review it yet.  The bump-feed head on the standard 15" trimmer works very well and I don't see why Ego would release a newer version that was a step backwards.

The only generational improvement I'm aware of with the string trimmer was the move to a 2.5Ah battery from the original 2Ah.  If you have a larger yard to maintain you may want to lean towards a kit with the later 2.5Ah battery.

Ergonomics are the same on all models.  The only exception I can think of would be the shaft joint restricting the handle position (likely not an issue unless you're REALLY short).
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've been using the split-shaft model for two years with no problems at all. It was split solely for the purpose of making it fit in a smaller box. Once you unpack it the two pieces bolt together permanently, quite securely I might add. It's not made to fold and unfold on a regular basis.

I agree with Blue on the reliability of the bump feed. I briefly owned the 12-inch trimmer and the bump feed on that model gave me fits. But the 15-inch has been solid as a rock.
Photo of Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Blue Angel and Ken.

I think I’ll go with the foldable shaft EGO Power+ 15” Rapid Reload Head String Trimmer kit w/ 2.5Ah Battery and charger ST1502SF.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A most excellent choice, sir! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.