Warranty service on ego mower engine

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

My ego mower engine died after 1.5 years. When submitted for warranty service at Home Depot they returned it saying I must have picked up dirt and the engine was runined and they would not fix it or would- but at a charge of $ 370. That is more than I can buy the base mower for at Home depot. It can be bought for $ 329. Why so  picky about warrenty service? I only used it on 550 sq ft of lawn with no dirt, so I am suspect about this denial.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Robert, give Ego Customer Service a call and they'll get this mess straightened out! Home Depot strikes again...
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,800 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Posts popping up of people asking where else to get EGO stuff because none of it's on display at HD ha.
Photo of Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thats for sure wee are in Prime time for Lawncare and here in Ind the Shelves ,have virtual 3 items at most !
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That is crazy, almost like they are trying to imply the mower wasn't meant for use outdoors...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That is unbelievable.
Photo of Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones

Too many bogus claims being turned , too many individuals utilizing their  lawnmowers for unauthorized usage running over cats birds trash tree stumps. Ego has gotten tired of this and are becoming more strict with whom they Honor warranty too.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,592 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is this intended as humor ?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 75,214 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jeff, do you have some sort of direct experience to be able to make a comment like this? 
Photo of Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones

I have 4 of these mowers and have had them serviced and replaced by Ego and Know the Techs at the Local Home Depot . 
Photo of Tim Ross

Tim Ross

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Jeff, With respect, your assertions aren't fact nor anything more than anecdotal. Nor do they constitute an argument. The techs at Home Depot can also postulate the reasoning behind failures, but again, will never know in all cases...the OP is an example of this.

Also, mowers must be designed for normal use and "non-ideal" incidents that are common in use. Paper mâché lawnmower these aren't. Cyclical lawnmower techs aren't a cogent source of data.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We are sorry you have had such a difficult experience, Robert. Did you take your mower straight to Home Depot prior to contacting Customer Service? In situations like yours, that is usually the case. Calling us first can help to make things run smoothly and ensure that Home Depot processes the repair under warranty. Regardless, we totally understand your frustration and disbelief! One of our service team members will be contacting you directly today to assist.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,194 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Another day, another horror story regarding Home Depot repairs of EGO products.  When is this nonsense going to end?  Mostly the problems with HD repairs are that they ship the mowers to Atlanta (?) or elsewhere and in the end, the consumer waits for many weeks or months to get their repaired item back.  Totally unacceptable.  What company brass would think this is a good business model??  
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
I'm so glad we were able to help you out, Robert! Please keep us posted on your repair, and do not hesitate to give us a call if you have any additional questions in the meantime.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,194 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
what help are you alluding to, amber?  why not specify what you did for the OP?
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
We are not required to share the details of any given customer's case. Largely a result of wanting to protect everyone's privacy, we are not inclined to do so either. If a customer wants to share their story, they're of course welcome to do so, but it's up to them. 

We appreciate everyone taking the time to comment and speculate on this thread. We feel that there has been enough discussion for now and are closing this conversation. Thank you again for all of your time and effort everyone!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.