Date on Batteries

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
So, I'm not concerned about my warranty as I know it goes of my date of purchase as well as all the positive customer service stories from EGO...but...
I just received my 7.5 ah Snowblower today, I take pictures of the serial numbers for registration and I notice both the batteries have a March 2015 date on them. Seems a little old in my mind, well over 1-1/2 years at this time. I guess time will tell. :)
Photo of Tom_Stolze

Tom_Stolze

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you take a look at Alkaline batteries, most of those will sit on a shelf for quite some time.  The ploy that Energizer has now that they guarantee their batteries with a 10 year shelf life.  

A year and a half isn't all that bad as I would expect the cells to last more than 10-15 years with the 2000 full recharge cycles.  I have had other manufacturer batteries that I have been using for 6+ years for my hammer drill.  I don't use it every day but it probably gets far more work than I get with my outdoor equipment.  

On a side note, my gas powered snow blower got used 5 times last year.  Some snow falls it was just quicker to use a shovel and wait for the sun to come out to get a dry driveway. 

Would not bother me one bit the manufacture date like that.
Photo of Tom_Stolze

Tom_Stolze

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree, shouldn't be a concern, just for curiosity, I will check the dates on my other Ego batteries.
Yes the snowblower will probably only see usage 3-5 times a year, I purchased due to my kids growing up and moving out as well as concern for my personal health as I get older, not to mention I now have three 7.5 ah batteries along with the 2..5, I should be set, current Ego products include mower, trimmer, backpack blower and the snowblower.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

The reason to get a snow blower is not for all those  days that you don't need one, but for the for the hand full of days that you do.

My wifes dad turned 65 and was 6 weeks into his retirement when there was a big dump of snow.  Shoveled the driveway and then fell over with a sudden stroke.  Just too much exhursion.  He lost his happy retirement from trying to take that fluffy white stuff.

That is why I am pro the right tool for the job.  I don't bother getting my snowblower out unless it is a reasonable good dumping of snow.  Then I end up doing my driveway, the sidewalks up and down the street, and 5-6 other neighbours driveways as I know they don't have a blower and it's the nice thing to do.  I get enough use out of it for each winter to make me feel it was a good investment.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, what a terrible story!
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Doubt that it would make it's way onto a billboard advert.

Buy an EGO snow blower.  if you don't it might kill you.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Tom, I am jealous of all the 7.5 Ah batteries you have in your possession.  With (3) of those batteries, you are set for awhile!!!!  That said; here is a great article I came across regarding "How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries."  Good weekend reading article if you have time, or keep it for future reference.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I have quite likes the 5.0Ahr batteries as they are not too heavy but do last quite a while.  I do have a couple of 7.5Ahr batteries and they are really good with the chainsaw
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I do like my 5.0 Ah battery which came with the backpack blower, but with all the Fall leaves, I need that extra juice from 7.5 Ah. Other than that, the normal yard work and cleanup is perfect for the 5.0 Ah.