Current owners of the ST1502SF weedeater: Pros vs. Cons? Looking to switch from my Husqvarna 223L to it.

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
ST1502SF Owners
Photo of Evan Roush

Evan Roush

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of i

i

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Bought that last fall. Literally attempting to find customer support number because the battery is garbage. You can look it up on line. Constant blinking green light and now it won't charge at all. Known problem with their batteries.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 64,436 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with the battery. Please give our service team a call at 1-855-346-5656. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 157,276 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
i, that’s what warranties are for. It’s a known issue only because others have reported it here before, not because Ego has a massive issue with their batteries.

Get in touch with Ego Customer Service and they’ll get you fixed up.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 48,766 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Some lithium-ion batteries do fail. Generally, if they're going to fail they do so fairly early and it's easy to get them replaced under warranty. Ego's batteries use very high-end cells, so they're better than most.

I have a boatload of camera equipment and drones that all use lithium-ion batteries. Most of them carry six-month warranties for their (very expensive) batteries. Ego's battery warranty is three years. That should tell you something.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Evan, I have the original 15” trimmer before the Rapid Reload option was available. Other than the string loading process it’s basically the same machine.

It’s probably my favorite Ego tool. I like all of them, but this one is a sweet spot. It’s well balanced and responsive, feels light in the hands, a real pleasure to use. Oh, and it has tons of power.

The bundled 2.5Ah battery is good for about 25-30 min of trimming for most people, less if you’re wide open bushwhacking in thick weeds.
Photo of Evan Roush

Evan Roush

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So do you think it would be fine to just go with the ST1500 vs. ST1502? Or is there a major difference in the two models?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The main difference is the Rapid Reload head.  The RR is much easier to load, so if you go through a lot of string that might be attractive.

Personally, I do mainly light trimming around our yard and the 0.095" line lasts quite well (I only bump feed about once per cut), so the RR head would be less of a priority.  Others who do heavier trimming or have rough or abrasive surfaces to trim up against will tend to go through string much faster, making the RR head that much more attractive.

Your call! :-)
Photo of i

i

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Spoke with them.  Theoretically, they're sending me a new battery.  Relatively painless customer support.  I have had the chainsaw for longer and that one has worked well.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 4,810 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
One of the other advantages of multiple Ego tools...if one of the batteries turns out to be a dud...you can still operate your equipment while the replacement battery is in transit...:)
Photo of dennis

dennis

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yep.   My one battery just died yesterday and they said maybe 20 days to receive replacement as they are backlogged.  Thankfully I have a back-up that works in all 3 of my tools
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,844 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Blue. The 15-inch trimmer is probably my favorite tool that Ego has made. It's light, well-balanced and has power to spare. I like the new carbon fiber trimmer with the power-load head, but I've never found the rapid-reload head to be an issue. And I get plenty of runtime out of a 2.5 Ah battery. I rarely need to run the trimmer at full power, except for a weedy area along the fence in my backyard, which helps extend the runtime.

Husqvarna makes great equipment (and I do use Husqvarna's Titanium Force string in my Ego trimmer. But if you're looking to get away from the hassles of gas, Ego is your best bet.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I also have the original 15" string trimmer and like Blue and Ken think it's one of Ego's best tools for the same reasons they've listed. Since I bought it before the rapid reload came out I haven't felt the need to "upgrade". However, the newest one with the carbon fiber shaft and powerload head sure is tempting. 
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,030 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I too have the 15' Rapid Reload trimmer and love it. We own 5 properties, 4 of which are hillsides with brush clearance requirements. They range in size from 3500 feet to 28000 feet in size.

I run 2 2.5 amp batteries and recharge one while I use the other. I am a power junkie And always go full bore. The 28000 foot lot takes 9 battery charges to do. It's mostly tall Woody brush so heavy duty use for sure.

I use the Ego blowers at work daily. We clear a 25000 foot garden area and use the 4 amp battery or the 2.5. I go through 2-3 battery charges depending on whether it is wet or not and how many bags of rock have broken open.. Again I run full bore nearly all the time. Our blower cleans the interior and exterior of Home Depot, is used by multiple people and has been outstanding for the abuse we give it.

My next Ego purchase will likely be the chainsaw or the tree pruner. I picked up a Ryobi hedge trimmer for $40 and it fits my need for now.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,116 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, nice place there Beth!