Contemplating Used LM2101 purchase - Soliciting advise

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
I am looking at purchasing this used LM2101:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/hsh/6171087243.html

The seller said he purchased it last year and referred me to this URL for the exact model:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Battery-Push-Mower-with-5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-LM2101/206515766

I know the warranty doesn't transfer (BTW.... IMO if EGO was standing behind their product it would - cars do...  why not a mower????) and have some questions:

1. What would this audience ask the prior owner (I have already asked him to see the original receipt)?
2. Upon evaluation of the mower what would you look for?
3. If a repair is needed what is the typical cost of a repair?
4. Is the risk of not having the warranty worth it (FWIW he's offered to sell it for $250)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Photo of Tim R

Tim R

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,990 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'd say that looks like a pretty good deal!  Looks like he's including the brand new charger and 7.5Ah battery from his newly purchased Self Propelled model.  If he's selling for $250, keep in mind the 7.5Ah battery on its own costs $400.

1. He was obviously happy with it as he's upgrading to the SP version of the same mower.
2. Fire it up and make sure there are no excessive vibrations.  Make sure the blade doesn't have any excessive damage, be sure the height adjuster works properly, basically go through the features and make sure everything works as it should.  Put the battery on the charger and make sure it charges OK.
3. This is an unknown.  Repairs are handled through Home Depot's rental department.
4. For $250 I would say absolutely.  The battery and charger are worth much more than that.  At that price I'd say the risk is pretty minimal.
Photo of Art Zasadny

Art Zasadny

• 1,416 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good advice here!!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,158 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It's no longer listed - did you snag it?