Commercial Landscaping Company going ALL ELECTRIC! Tips, Tricks, and Advice Welcome.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
Hey guys,

My name is Scott and I am the owner of GREEN Incorporated Lawn Care and Landscaping in Eastern NC. We are currently in the process of switching all our equipment from Gas to ELECTRIC for 2018. After hours and hours of research and test runs we have decided to go with EGO for all our handheld equipment as well as 21 " mowers. We run 52" Z-Mowers and so far I have only found two options for electric riders,  Ryobi and Mean Green.

The immediate challenges for commercial use will be

1. Cycling batteries in order to have constant use.
2. Mobile charging on our trucks. Inverters, Water Proof Storage Box, Solar Charging?
3. Dealing with water from rain and summer thunderstorms.
4. Durability issues due to our sandy area on the coast.

I am Super Excited to be making this switch and I look forward to any feedback, tips, and ideas that The EGO Team and all the folks on this forum may be able to provide. I am planning to post our experience on our blog as well as our YouTube channel.

Thanks in advance for all your help. 

Scott
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

• 676 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Excited!

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Welcome to the Ego family Scott.  Will be interested to hear about your experience with Ego tools.
There are a few other professional on the board here so I am sure you will get some feed back that is relevant to your industry. 

The tools are great, the battery platform is awesome and the company keeps coming out with improvements and new items.

Have you seen the new string trimmer with the auto load system.  I would think this would be a tool of interest to you. https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers/products/power-15-56v-lithium-ion-auto-wi...
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Hey thanks for the speedy response. I have seen the carbon fiber trimmer. Looks good. I think we will most likely go with the power head in our case. I believe it has the best power, runtime and versatility. The safety trigger also fits better in the racks on our trucks. Small thing but important when they are being pulled in and out of the rack all day. Ability to use with the articulating trimmer attachment is very convenient as well. We have to do a lot of lite trimming during our routine maintenance visits during the warmer months. Lots of Russian Olives in our area. 
Thanks again for the tip. I will definitely take another look.

Hey Scott, John with Solar Lawns in North Texas. We are doing the same thing, just launched full scale but running propane mowers for now. I'm not sure about the climate in NC, but our test challenges have been similar. I recommend using rubber seals around the box door, wood panel covers for the charging station with downward facing screened vents ( like an AC type vent), and we are installing RV AC units, solar panels up top and may eventually go to box trailers. Would love to hear more about what you are looking to achieve long term.
John www.solarlawns.com
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

John,

That sounds like an interesting setup. Id love to see some photos of the charging setup. The goal for 2018 is to go all electric with our handheld equipment, and hopefully our bigger mowers. 
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 3,076 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Our company already runs eco products and so far the only issues we have come up against are the plastic gears in the rear driven wheels strip out. I understand that the gear is now metal rather than the plastic it was however I have not confirmed this. We charge batteries using a bank of RV batteries charged by solar panels using a 2000 watt power inverter. We have 3 7.5 amp batteries a 2.5 and a 5 amp. We have 3 mowers, a hand blower, back pack blower and a string trimmer.
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Pete,

Great to hear from another PRO using electric. Sounds like you have a great setup. I see you have three mowers. Have you found and/or considered any rider options?
You hear that EGO.......Rider? 36 - 48" Walk Behind?

The Solar RV battery setup sounds interesting. I'm curious, is that bank of batteries located in your RV, Dual Purpose? That would be a win win.

Blowers are currently a challenge. We have been using Stihl BR600's for years now. We are used to 600 CFM's. Initially getting into this I was VERY skeptical about an electric blower coming anywhere close to the Stihl, BUT the EGO Backpack blower is on par. No joke, it does the job! Runtime is where it gets tricky. For a single residential property (mostly in the half to one acre in my area) its no problem. Five to 10 minutes and your done. Rotate the 7.5 AMP batteries (3) with a rapid charger on the truck and you can go all day. No problem.
With Commercial its a bit of a different story. We have things like large parking lots, condo buildings with 30 carports, and lots of sand on beach walks just to name a few. 
We routinely have two or more Blowers running full power for 30 minutes or more. If its what I call a "Blower Job"  such as leaf cleanup, or sand removal we might run the blowers for several hours. Luckily we have few hardwoods in this area so leaf cleanup is limited and most heavy sand removal is usually the result of a Hurricane.

This is going to be a challenge but I'm confident we will make it work.

Thanks again for the info.
Photo of ken

ken

• 60 Points
I drive a hybrid, ego battery was charged by the build in AC outlets, we leave the hybrid on while go about mowing, the engine will start-stop to top up the batteries.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 55,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Will EGO honor the warranty if used commercially?  I just don't know.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Pretty sure Ego states 1 year on commercial use.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

1 Year on Commercial use
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Yes , One year is a bit short for Commercial, but we will take what we can get. 
Lets put these tools to the test and see what they can do.
Photo of mike

mike

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is for any of the commercial users. What is your opinion on the cut quality of the ego mower? I use Honda harx217’s and would like to know how these compare. If you don’t have experience with the Honda’s how do they compare to your previous gas mowers? There is one review elsewhere I’ve seen that suggests the ego leaves more stranglers than the Honda. Maybe the newer blade helps correct this?
How is the lever positioning for the self-propelled mower? Easy to use ? I didn’t realize until today that the mower only drives the left rear wheel? Does this cause any issues?
Does the mower feel like it’s going to last a long time? I see lost of post saying it’s built pretty well but most are home owner reviews. I mow roughly 35 -40 lawns a week and I do use my 42” zero turn on the front lawns of most properties as it gets the job done quicker.
If I could get my hands on one to test drive I could answer these questions myself but unfortunately I can’t.
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Honda. We only use a smaller push mower (TORO 21") for a small percentage of our properties. Mostly areas we cant access with our Z-mowers or areas we will scalp with the Z. The small mower comes off the truck an average of 3-4 times daily during the season, cutting an average of 6-10,000 square feet of lawn a day. 75% Bermuda, 20% Centipede, and 5% Zoysia lawns, some Commercial some Residential.
There are a lot of factors to consider with the quality of the cut and difference in opinion.

Was the grass tall and neglected?
Was the grass wet?
Was it a healthy thick lawn or thin and sparse?
Was the operator going to fast for the mower?
What type of grass, etc. etc?

That being said the EGO does cut well and I would say its an improvement from the Gas mower we were using. The height of the lever is good, I'm 6' 1" tall and the propulsion works well. We are on the coast, lots of sand which is tough on mowers, and we haven't had any build or quality issues. I think it will hold up. Time will tell. I hope this helps.

We will certainly be putting all of the EGO equipment through the wringer this season. If we don't kill it, a homeowner certainly wont. 
Photo of mike

mike

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right about the different variables when listening to someones review. I will just have to pick one up come spring and see for myself.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

"mike

This is for any of the commercial users. What is your opinion on the cut quality of the ego mower?"

I'm not a commercial user and I thought the cut quality was pretty good until I sharpened the blade. Then it got even better. So, it seems keeping the blade sharp is pretty important.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

It is definitely true for the ego mower.  A sharp blade makes for a sharp lawn.
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Having a sharp blade is always important, regardless of the type of mower used.
Sharpen blades often!