Closed Loop Recycling?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Does EGO have a closed loop recycling program for their batteries?  If not, does anyone know if there is an effective recycling program in place in the US for lithium ion batteries?  I'm fairly new to jumping on the battery bandwagon, as I've typically used corded equipment, in conjunction with purchasing renewable energy electricity to reduce my environmental impact.  I read that Tesla has a closed loop recycling system, and I'm hoping EGO does too.
Photo of Ruth Cloonan

Ruth Cloonan

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response

Ruth,

Home Depot, Lowes, any battery store will accept batteries for recycling/disposal.  Recycling is rarely cost efficient and also dangerous to ship damaged batteries around the country.  On many items there gets to be a problem of diminishing returns.  While recycling in many cases makes sense, in some it does not.

But, I don't work at EGO and maybe they can shed some more light on this.

Thanks

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Ruth, I found this post by Stan from over a year ago.

"Craig, If you're interested in recycling the battery for free take it, along with any of your rechargeable batteries that no longer hold a charge, to The Home Depot where you purchased your mower.  The Home Depot has a recycling  program at most, if not all, of their stores.  You can also recycle your burned out CFL light bulbs there too!  There's usually a recycling bin right in the main entrance vestibule."

Photo of Ruth Cloonan

Ruth Cloonan

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks.  Yes, I saw that post, and I'm aware that Home Depot, as well as a few other places, will take them -- though I was hoping to understand more about how effective the programs are.  There does seem to be a particular relationship with Home Depot and EGO, so maybe that is the supplier responsibility path that EGO has chosen.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ruth, we don't have a specific program in place for our batteries, at this time.  SCDC's recommendations are great!  All batteries are printed with an 800 number to call to locate your nearest recycling center as well (1-800-822-8837).
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I drop my batteries (DeWalt) at either Home Depot or Lowe's. They take any kind of battery
Photo of Craig

Craig

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can a bad mower battery be recycled?.

I+purchased+your+battery+power+mower+Spring+2014.+This+month+the+battery+didn't+work+at+all,+and+you+are+replacing+it.+Can+the+old+unusable+battery+be+recycled+somewhere?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.