Cleaning deck of 21" sp

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
How do you folks clean the deck of your mower? I sprayed the lube under the mower, and only cut when the grass is as dry as possible, but it still seems to cake up a bit under the deck. I think I read hosing it is not recommended, does anyone do that? I have taken a rag to it the past couple times and it's a big mess and have to throw out the rag each time. Figured I would turn to the pros for this!
Photo of Jay Crawford

Jay Crawford

• 358 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
3" head soft bristle brush and a small bucket of water, dip the brush and knock most of the loose stuff out. I have not done the wax treatment on my 20" gen 1 mower.
Photo of Jay Crawford

Jay Crawford

Good idea! What's this wax treatment you speak of?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Some people use car wax, others some form of non-stick spray.

I haven't had an issue with mine caking up, I just use a plastic scraper to clean it out a couple times a season.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I pull the battery, hose mine out, run it for a minute to dry it, spray the bottom with silicone spray.  Done  :)

The hosing part is not approved by EGO and can void the warranty.  When I say hose it down, I am careful not to push water into the fan/blade area.

I just don't want to get dirty, so I won't get on my hands and knees and work with it. 
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jay, we recommend removing any large debris by hand (once the battery has been removed), and wiping the mower with a clean, damp cloth. Stay away from water! Also, you might find this conversation helpful, too: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/how_do_i_clean_the_ego_power_mower  
Photo of Jay Crawford

Jay Crawford

Thanks Amber! Everyone else as well!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.