Charging Battery When Not In Use

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Leaving battery on charger

Do people keep their battery in the charging cradle when not in use?
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 812 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I personally do not, but there is no reason you can't. Just be aware that if the battery sits for longer than one month without use it will self discharge to 30% capacity. This is its long term storage mode, and will take place even if the battery is sitting in the charger.

If that happens, just remove and re-insert the battery to fully charge before use.
Photo of Primetime

Primetime

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I take mine out when I remember to do so.
Photo of Big D Bill

Big D Bill

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I take mine out and keep it in the house. Never had a problem with it.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
After each use I recharge all my batteries in the garage and then bring them into the house.
Photo of James

James

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just read the directions yesterday, because I just bought the mower yesterday.  EGO recommends not keeping the battery in the charger or in the tool, and that it be kept in a cool, dry location under 80 degrees (I think).  They also recommend you unplug the charger when it's not in use.  So I plan to keep the unplugged charger in the garage, and the battery in a closet in the climate-controlled house.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

When I remember to, I take mine out of the tool when I am finished and put them on the charger.  More often than not I leave them connected to the last tool I used.

I have never stored them anywhere other than on the charger or connected to a tool, either way always in the garage (which generally stays at a moderate temperature)

Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Richard, I wall mounted my chargers in my garage right next to the garage door for easy access for swapping batteries (I can't cut my entire yard on a single charge of the 4AH battery). When I'm done cutting the grass I charge both my 4AH and 2AH batteries to around 30%, unplug the chargers and leave the batteries in their charger but with a small wood block under each battery so that the contacts are not touching (see the attached photos).

I use the quick charger to charge both batteries before storing because it has indicator lights for 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.  When the 50% level starts to blink I unplug the charger after about 20 more blinks to come close to the ideal 30% storage rate.  It would sure be handy if the chargers had a separate light to indicate when the ideal storage level was reached.  But I figure this is as close as I can get them to their ideal storage condition.

Stan Fayfar
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nice setup!

I'm not sure if you've tried this or not, but when I store my mower I place it with the wheels against the wall. If you lower the deck to the lowest setting first (wheels "up") it sits very tight against the wall. Also, if you happen to brush up against it you aren't getting crud off the wheels on your clean pants! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.