charger trouble

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress

When the battery is placed in the charger the fan runs and the lowest level charge light illuminates for a second, then all the charge lights stay on and the fan shuts down indefinitely.

Unplugged the charger and let it sit for 20 minutes without the battery in the charger, same result once the charger was plugged back in and the battery reinstalled.

Left the battery in the charger while unplugged for 20 minutes (all charge lamps lit for a moment with the battery in and charger unplugged ) same result once plugged back in.

A green light glows for a second on the battery once installed in the charger, red flickers on for a second then no light from the battery.

The mower was performing normally near the end of cut/bagging then it powered down, the above charging symptoms appeared when the battery was installed in the charger less than a minute from being under load. This is the first time the battery has been run down to the point where the mower wouldn't run. 

Read the discussions on this site, placed the battery back in the mower, turned on the head lamp and used the self-propel level and finished the lawn. Upon returning to the garage the mower stopped, this time with a red lamp lighted on the mower. 

Photo of Dan Branch

Dan Branch

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 45,152 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Red lamp on the mower definitely indicates the battery is run down so it should be wanting to charge. Did it charge after the mower displayed red? Not sure if you are indicating the mower going red was before or after the other stuff mentioned above. Seems like it was after.
Anyway, probably best to call customer service. They can help you troubleshoot and figure out what's going on.
Call early in the day to avoid hold times.
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,404 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
One thing to try.  Unplug charger - place battery in charger - plug charger in with battery installed.  This sequence can reset some of the electronics and may help your situation.

If still no luck, then follow Mike's advice to call Ego CS.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

I wonder if his 3rd paragraph is indicating he tried this. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

wasn't sure so I gave it a shot
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Yeah, me either. Hopefully OP will come back and clarify some things. 
Photo of Dan Branch

Dan Branch

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! 

Mike: Yea, the battery went red/down after dying in the lawn and using the last ounce of energy to finish the lawn - (thanks to the community advice of placing the mower light on to squeeze out the remaining power following the death on the lawn).
I called CS, friendly fellow, and started a thing, his recommendation is to install my battery in a known working charger and a good battery into my charger, that should clear up which one is misbehaving.

SZ: Pretty sure I tried that step but will tonight since you've recommended it, thanks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not familiar with "the community advice of placing the mower light on to squeeze out the remaining power following the death on the lawn" and not sure how that would work.

Re general battery care:
I try to not run my batteries to complete stoppage of the tool.  Rather I go to the charger when they first show red.  It is not good for the batteries to be run completely down.  Better to stop use when they are at 15% or so (I forget the exact best range).  The tools are programmed to show the red and then stop when the battery is low, but if there is some hack to allow the battery to run completely down I would advise that is a bad thing and should be avoided.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Agree with szwoopp. Don't recall reading about using headlights to get more battery life. I'm a bit of a risk taker, though, and have run my mower for about an additional 10 minutes after the red light on the mower first appears and have had no mower problems doing that or with charging the battery afterwards. YMMV.
It's good you have another charger and battery to do what CS suggested. Perfect troubleshooting technique.
Photo of Dan Branch

Dan Branch

Agreed, this is the first time a red light has appeared, the mower has up until now had power remaining when the work was done. I too was surprised to read folks recommending running the unit once it had shutdown. Following reading that lead me to believe the BMS would prevent the voltage from reaching below 3.4v per cell. 
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Branch

Dan Branch

Good morning, the charger sat with the battery in it unplugged through out the workday, when it was powered up it displayed the same behavior, one light and the fan for a second then no fan and all the lights from there forward. Testing the charger with my sons battery and my battery with his charger Thursday evening, we will see what is failing. Thanks again for the help.