Charger Question

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Just finished mowing our lawn and usually there is about 1/4 power left in the battery when I put it on the charger.  This time, however, the charger indicates the power is at 100%.  This is very unlikely.  I've disconnected the charger and reconnected it with the same result.  It's the charger that comes with the new self-propelled mower.  I do have a secondary charger that came with the trimmer that I could use.  Any suggestions about this issue?
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 812 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,286 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Operate the mower until the battery is depleted, and then try charging on the same charger.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Try your backup charger. If it works fine then the other one is likely the problem. If you have the same result it could be the battery.

Either way a call to Ego for warranty support is likely in the cards. :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez

• 3,038 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
In my experience, the state of charge reading on the charger doesn't appear to be very accurate. Mine usually reports 25%, but only stays there for a minute or so, then moves on. On days that I use more energy, it will then remain at 25% for a longer period of time.

How big is your yard? I only have about 1/4 acre but I can mow my front and back yard and still be charged enough for the charger to prevent charging.

Over the last two weeks I've mowed both yards twice on one charge and the battery wasn't dead yet. I'm going to try for 3 mows over the next 3 weeks to see if there is enough capacity for it.
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
And you're likely extending the life of the battery by doing just that (reusing & storing at under full capacity).

There's a post in these boards that goes over battery health and comparing charge states (good read). I've now gotten into the habit of charging the battery the day of use then pull it and store it (somewhat depleted) after each mow.

Unfortunately I don't think i can get a second mow in on my yard, though now that I've purchased the blower backpack I gave a second battery to see just how far I can go. (my hesitation is I only have so long to get a mow in and can't wait the extra half hour should it die on me mid-mow. Now I won't have to).
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am doing the same.
Mow, take battery out, place on shelf. My runtime is about 50 minutes to mow my yard.
On next mowing cycle I place battery in charger, go out and use the trimmer to trim out the yard. By the time I am done trimming the battery is ready to go.
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 812 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the responses.  I'll give it a few more mows, then decide if it is a battery or charger issue.  I like the idea of using it a few times without charging.  We have a very small lot.
Photo of SR

SR

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have what I think is the same problem with the same products. Charger says 100% (all green bars) when I drop the battery in, but, in my case, I fully used the battery and mower flashes red indicating a charge is needed. I'm guessing it's a charger issue, but not sure yet.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have not seen this issue with my 2.0 Ah and 7.5 Ah.  But I do have a question for others with a Rapid Charger.  Every time I plugged in my Rapid Charger to the wall outlet to charge my batteries, it always create a short spark no matter which outlet I am using in the house.  Is this normal for this Rapid Charger?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I believe it's normal. I have four chargers, two rapid and two standard, all hooked up to a power bar so I can power them off while not in use. When I switch them all on at once the lights flicker in the garage.

This might have something to do with charging capacitors in the power supplies and/or the fact that all the fans kick on for a short blip when first powering up. Either way, it seems to be normal for a bit of "in-rush" when powering up.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks!  I thought so but was not sure, as everything charges fine - just the initial sparks and the fan turning on and off.  Otherwise, I am a happy cat with this Rapid Charger, it is awesome!