Charger is making a clicking noise.

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Charger is making a clicking noise. One of my 56V batteries charges fine the other does not seem to charge. When on the charger i hear a clicking noise coming from the charger. No lights on the battery and the green light on the charger seems to blink in sync with clicking noise. Pretty new machine.
Photo of Wiliam Friel

Wiliam Friel

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 38,540 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I'd think it's the battery and not the charger since another battery charges fine on that charger.
The batteries have a 3 year warranty so give Ego a call at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday). Be sure to call early in the day to avoid hold times.
Even if it's the charger, same thing. Give Ego a call.
Photo of Jason H. Brister

Jason H. Brister

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had/have this problem with my 5AH; first happened almost a year ago (see below link to archived post). While I was initially hopeful that this condition was a fluke, I came to realize that there is definitely a problem with this battery. It will completely self discharge within a week or so of having been fully charged and removed from the charger. When totally discharged like this and placed back on the charger, the charger initially does the clicking and rapid on/off cycling. After a brief period in this state, I can remove/repace the battery from the charger and it will then charge normally. It seems to take a full charge, but obviously something isn't right, so I'm turning it in for warranty.

This makes 2 out 3 batteries that have had problems inside the warranty period, which concerns me greatly for the long-term prospects of this 56V platform. I love the equipment, but battery (un)reliability and potential future cost has me worried.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
(Edited)