charge battery immediately or wait?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I got an eGo mower with 7.5 amp hr. battery last year, and I love it!  Just out of curiosity, would it extend the battery either by charging the battery immediately after you use up a charge, or by waiting until maybe the day before you're next going to use it and THEN recharging the battery?
Photo of Greg Finger

Greg Finger

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,880 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It's a LiIon battery, so the optimal storage state of charge is around 30-50 % charged.  To maximize life, you don't want to store it completely empty, and you also don't want to fully charge it and store it fully charged.

Some people on this forum will put a battery on the charger after they use it (say, for 15-20 minutes) and then take it off when about halfway charged, so they can store it at a midway state of charge, and then they fully charge it when they are about to use it.

If the chargers had a "charge halfway and stop" button I would use it, but life's too short for me to mess around with stopping the charge halfway through manually, so I just charge them up whenever I'm done using them so they will be ready the next time I need to use them.

(If you store them for more than 30 days fully charged, the BMS will automatically "bleed them down" to a safe storage level.....)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Since I rotate my 5 batteries (one 2.5, three 5.0 and one 7.5 Ah) year round, I fully charge immediately once depleted . I havec2 rapid and one standard chargers.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I charge mine after use so they are ready to go when needed. My batteries are used in rotation on 5 pieces of equipment with the largest been a 5 Ah. Lawn gets cut weekly and will deplete the 5.AH completely plus, I'm guessing 1/2 a 2.5ah with just over an hour of non stop cut time. All the batteries are holding up into year three with no noticable degradation.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I agree with summetj's advice.

I do whatever yard work I need to do, then set the battery on the shelf upside down so I know it isn't fully charged. If the battery went red by the time I was done, I do charge it a bit so it isn't sitting close to empty. Then I'll put the battery on the charger, preferably the slow charger, the night before I need it, or maybe the morning of if I'm going to do my work in the evening. If I forget I just drop it on the rapid charger, but I'm so used to the routine I rarely forget.

I have a lot of hobbies that use expensive lithium batteries, from drones to DSLRs to DeWalt and Ego tools, and all of my batteries are behaving like they did when they were new. A couple of my Ego batteries are more than three years old and still run like new.