Chainsaw won't engage. Battery is fully charged. Worked for about a minute then shut off

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
Photo of Craig Santoro

Craig Santoro

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,304 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Possibilities...

◾Chain brake is engaged.

◾◾Pull the chain kickback brake handle backward toward the front handle.

◾Debris in bar groove.

◾◾Press the saw chain against the wood, move the chain saw back and forth to discharge the debris.

◾◾Remove battery pack, then remove side cover, and remove the chain and manually clean the bar groove.

◾Debris in side cover.

◾◾Remove battery pack, then remove side cover and clean out debris.

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If Paul’s suggestions above don’t cure the issue, you may need to give Ego Customer Service a call and they’ll help you troubleshoot the issue and get you fixed up.
Photo of Seorge

Seorge

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm having a similar problem.  I'm sawing some large 24-30"  maple firewood and after about 2 pieces, the saw stopped, the battery light flashed, it would start for 10 seconds and then shutoff again.  After I let it sit for about 15 minutes, it will work for another 4-5 minutes before it shuts off again.  Today, I threw in the smaller battery from my Ego blower and the saw didn't stop. I think the larger battery is having issues overheating or something.
(Edited)

Paul Christenson

• 7,282 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
How old is your chainsaw's 5 AH battery?

Did you run the battery into the red when you were cutting up the 24 to 30 inch maple...
(Edited)
Photo of Seorge

Seorge

I just bought the saw in June 2018 @ HD and this is first week I'm using it.  I have an ECHO gas saw but after I bought the blower and had excellent results, I thought I'd try the 16" saw and having that larger battery for the blower in the fall was a bonus..   The first 4-5 minutes, the saw was humming.  I wish the bar oil tank was a little larger .  I'm not sure what is going on with this battery.  
Photo of Seorge

Seorge

The saw stops when the battery is blinking red.  It's like it had some kind of thermal reset.
It blinks red when it stops.  I'ts not like it was red and I started it back up.  Like a safety switch or something I guess.

Paul Christenson

To protect the battery from damage and prolong its life, the battery pack circuitry will turn off the battery pack if it becomes overloaded or if the temperature becomes too high during use. This may happen in extremely high torque, binding, and stalling situations. The battery pack will shut down with power indicator flashing orange for 10s when its operating temperature exceeds 158°F (70°C), and will begin normal operation when it returns to 152°F (67°C).

Some people tend to press down on their chainsaw when cutting rather than letting the chain do the work, the duller the chain the more likely they are to increase the downward pressure...with a gas powered saw, you'll hear the motor loading up and you'll crack the throttle to overcome this...with an electric chainsaw, you are already running WOT so if it starts to bind or stall the only option is to reduce the pressure on the chain

Paul Christenson

If you have an Infrared Temperature gun...try shooting your battery before you operate the chainsaw, noting the temperature reading...then if you experience the flashing red...shoot the battery again and check the temperature reading
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Seorge, if the 2.5Ah battery runs the saw without issue and the 5Ah battery doesn’t, there may be an issue with the 5Ah. Give Ego Customer Service a call and they’ll get you the help you need.

Paul Christenson

<Today, I threw in the smaller battery from my Ego blower and the saw didn't stop. I think the larger battery is having issues overheating or something.>

This new piece of information points the blame at the 5Ahr battery
Photo of Zachary Montgomery

Zachary Montgomery

• 60 Points
I just started having this problem were the saw will run 10 seconds and then stops. The battery light is still green. I bought the saw in mid-2018. I tried another battery with the same result.

Paul Christenson

Since you have tried two different batteries your problem seems to chainsaw...

One thing you could try is to TAKE OFF the bar AND the chain and see if the saw runs