chainsaw sharpener

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
I have the 14" EGO electric chainsaw. So far, really happy with it. Chains got dull, so I purchased a "standard" 14 chain at Walmart only to discover that it did not work on the EGO, I suspect that the EGO rotates in the opposite direction so the cutting blades are not exposed with the other brand chains. OK, I bought a replacement from EGO, but that is going to get expensive, so I would like to get an electric blade sharpener. I am afraid to purchase one that is designed for the other manufacturers because I do not know if it will work with the reversed spin blades. Can anyone recommend an electric sharpened that they knew will work with the EGO chains? I really do not want to have to get a file and sharpen all those blades by hand.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 70 Points
  • Hopeful

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You are looking for an OREGON 14" Narrow-Kerf Saw Chain

Oregon 90PX052G

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Page 17 of the manual specifies the chain:

https://egopowerplus.com/media/productattach/1/4/14-1215_ego_cs1400_chain_saw_manual_na_v1_online.pd...

The 90PX052X is the Ego branded chain and costs $13.79 on Home Depot's website:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-CS1401-14-in-Cordless-Chainsaw-Chain-AC1400/206042029

I'm no expert on chainsaw chains, but that seems pretty cheap to me?
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,136 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you price a powered chainsaw sharpener...you'll discover you can buy a lot of new oregon narrow-kerf chains for the price of a powered sharpener...:)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 2,970 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I agree with the others that for most of us, just buying a new blade infrequently is cheap and not a big deal. If you want to sharpen your blade - just buy the right diameter round "rat tail" file on Amazon. Or if you already have a Dremel tool, you can also buy chainsaw sharpening stones that also work. The manual states the proper diameter for sharpening an EGO chain on page 41. And plenty of instructional Youtubes that will show you how to do it. I once in a while will clean and touch up a blade with just a round file with the saw locked into a bench vice. Not hard but does take some practice.